Gransnet forums

AIBU

moving ...

(63 Posts)
moggie57 Sat 04-Jul-20 12:43:24

i have been offered a 1 bedroom flat at a place in west sussex .its not exactly where i want it .but its near the sea and my brother.now my daughter has said that she wants me to stay where i am as i am local to her.(but i cant stand this area now).and anyway i only see the grandchildren after church (for lunch) sometimes. .or once a week in school holidays....so do i move to suit my health problems and be near my lovely brother/relatives..or do i stay put. been here 32 years is it time for a change?i wouldnt have much noise where the flat is as its nearly to the south downs. its only 1 hour and half to where i am now.my daughter doesnt drive...i would want to move eventually to the town area .so this flat would be temporary .till i can get on the waiting list to where i want to go. do i go? if i dont there might not be another chance and have to wait how long ??//

llig Sun 05-Jul-20 11:52:57

Go for it. Enjoy your time

icanhandthemback Sun 05-Jul-20 11:47:50

I'd go...a flat by the sea in a quiet area. It sounds like bliss to me!

albertina Sun 05-Jul-20 11:47:28

Make a list of pros and cons. See which is longer.

All the very best for the future whatever your decision.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 05-Jul-20 11:44:02

Of course you should go. It is your daughter's problem to find out how to visit you, not yours.

It doesn't sound as if you see all that much of her anyhow.

billericaylady Sun 05-Jul-20 11:23:33

Gowinkand let us know how much you love it sunshine

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Sun 05-Jul-20 11:08:16

Another saying do what's right for you. Your dd could upsticks and move without a thought for you. I was talking to a (more elderly) neighbour last pm, who I check up on couple times a week, about moving (getting divorced) & about doing this and that for people. She looked me straight in the eye and said "when are you going to do for you?" "when are you going to retire, sit back and enjoy doing things just for you?" "You'll be as old as me one day and wonder why you didn't". She's in her 80's still married (unhappily) and a right feisty lady but she has made me think that once my divorce is finalised if I can afford it I'm going to retire, stop rushing around and enjoy my new home and surroundings. My kids have their own lives and if they want to see me will know where to find me (unless I don't want them to ?)

Debutante Sun 05-Jul-20 11:07:28

I agree with the Carp Diem sentiments completely! From experience I have learnt that you need to grab any chance to be happy. There is no point in looking to the future too much in an attempt to ‘future proof’ and try to make ourselves safe. I don’t know how old you are but I found that after 60 time evaporates at an even more alarming rate. Is it a dream of yours to live near the sea? I know it’s a cliche but if so ‘follow your dream.’ We lived by the sea with sea views but some very unlucky sets of circumstance made us start to think we’d be better nearer our daughters, hospitals and more sophisticated infrastructure, so we moved back to outer London. I am now a grandmother and many would think we made the right move as we are nearer to visit etc. However, I’m very unhappy and regretting it deeply. I am besotted with my grandson and want to help my daughter, but I think there is an assumption that the role of grandmother is totally fulfilling. I think it is a mistake to revolve life around family if it means denying what you really want for yourself. Living by the sea made me feel alive! I was motivated to get up every morning and go for walks by the sea, walk to the fishmonger on the beach or just gaze out to sea. So relaxing but also it gives a sense of freedom and a feeling of anything is possible just seeing that horizon. We have lovely walks where I live but I am nowhere near as motivated to walk in woods and fields. When we lived by the sea we saw our daughters less frequently but they loved coming to visit and we had quality time with them. They loved the haven and oasis it provided away from urban life. Your daughter will find a way to visit and will hopefully get used to the idea. I’m hoping mine will understand too when we eventually move back to the coast and risk being alone down there one day. It’s a risk I’m prepared to take to make the most of life while I can! I really hope you can do what you want to do and don’t end up regretting missing an opportunity.

Sugarpufffairy Sun 05-Jul-20 11:00:27

I have done it. I moved. Best thing I ever did.
Seeing your daughter and grandchildren once a week is not enough reason to stay if a place you don't like.
I was the grandmother who babysat so that daughters could work unsociable hours. I also cleaned, did laundry, ironed, decorated and did gardening for my kids. I realised that the only time I was spoken to was when they wanted something. They never just visited for tea and a natter. I got no real help with heavy things or anything really.
Despite having moved just prior to lockdown I am much happier. I have had more conversations with the new neighbours despite social distancing than I had with my kids.
Do it for you and enjoy a new adventure.
Best wishes for a happy new life

Chardy Sun 05-Jul-20 10:46:28

I love living in between the sea and the South Downs. In normal times, it's a sociable place to live eg I think I have 4 branches of U3A within a bus ride, all with a varied array of things to join. The public transport is excellent, both train and bus. The weather is lovely. Hope I've encouraged you.

MagicWriter2016 Sun 05-Jul-20 10:45:07

Go, am sure your daughter will come round eventually. You could get a bed settee so she could visit and stay over for a day or two. After you have been there 6-12 months you could then apply for a transfer/exchange to the town if you don’t like it. It’s all about getting your foot in the door when it comes to housing. Life is too short to waste it being unhappy. Good luck.

Thecatshatontgemat Sun 05-Jul-20 10:36:26

GO!
One life to live.....

Bazza Sun 05-Jul-20 10:23:04

Just do it! Definitely.

polnan Sun 05-Jul-20 10:21:27

Good luck with making you descision

TwinLolly Sun 05-Jul-20 10:18:45

A change is as good as a holiday! Go, and be happy. smileflowers

EmilyHarburn Sun 05-Jul-20 10:16:41

Do what you want to do. Housing likes people who accept offers and if you turn this one down they may not bother to off you anything. When you are ready to move again they will remember you as a positive tennant and will offer you something that suits you at the time if it is available.

none of us know how long we have to live so live life to the full whilst you have it.

Jess20 Sun 05-Jul-20 10:11:50

Ask yourself what it is about the move that will actually make you happy, and what you expect to get out of it that you can't where you are. Make an honest list of the pros and cons. It's easy to think something like a house move will solve our problems but then take all our baggage with us and nothing really changes. You say the move is temporary, will you be able to relax and feel happy if you know you will be moving on yet again? How will you feel while you wait for that move to town? Having said that, a few years ago I moved across the country beause I didn't really like where I had been living for the last 20 years. It was a very good move and life is far better. If it's the start of a positive journey towards a better life and not just trying to leave disappointment and discontent behind, I'd say go!

Esmerelda Sun 05-Jul-20 10:06:22

Yes, GO!

JadeOlivia Sun 05-Jul-20 10:02:11

I think you have already made up your mind to go and the real worry is how to tell your daughter. Your brother is of your generation ...it may not be your last ever move either .....maybe your daughter will move to be nearer you in the next few years...do what is best for you now

Coconut Sun 05-Jul-20 09:58:29

Follow your own heart, and think how the GC will love visiting a Nanny by the sea. Life is too short to be unhappy ...

Lancslass1 Sun 05-Jul-20 09:51:44

No brainier.
Just go.
Good Luck.

Shropshirelass Sun 05-Jul-20 09:51:04

Be exit should read benefit!

Shropshirelass Sun 05-Jul-20 09:50:33

Do what your heart tells you. If your health and happiness will be exit from moving then do so, put yourself first. Good luck..

Keeper1 Sun 05-Jul-20 09:45:59

That should re gc

Keeper1 Sun 05-Jul-20 09:45:28

Wouldn’t the go want to visit if you are near the sea?

cc Sun 05-Jul-20 09:43:33

I moved 13 years ago, away from my children. I've been very happy here and love our house but in the end it has come down to wanting to be nearer to my children and grandchildren. Also my DH has health problems and I don't really relish the idea of being left here alone in our large house when I'm older. If you are absolutely clear that you'd rather be near your brother (and presumably his family) than your daughter then it is the right thing to do, but think about when you are older too.