Gransnet forums

AIBU

moving ...

(62 Posts)
moggie57 Sat 04-Jul-20 12:43:24

i have been offered a 1 bedroom flat at a place in west sussex .its not exactly where i want it .but its near the sea and my brother.now my daughter has said that she wants me to stay where i am as i am local to her.(but i cant stand this area now).and anyway i only see the grandchildren after church (for lunch) sometimes. .or once a week in school holidays....so do i move to suit my health problems and be near my lovely brother/relatives..or do i stay put. been here 32 years is it time for a change?i wouldnt have much noise where the flat is as its nearly to the south downs. its only 1 hour and half to where i am now.my daughter doesnt drive...i would want to move eventually to the town area .so this flat would be temporary .till i can get on the waiting list to where i want to go. do i go? if i dont there might not be another chance and have to wait how long ??//

Lucca Sat 04-Jul-20 12:44:45

Carpe diem !

Lucca Sat 04-Jul-20 12:46:42

Posted too soon sorry. I think you must do what YOU want to do. Life isn’t a rehearsal etc etc. Why stay in an area you dislike when you have the chance to live somewhere nice. You can visit your daughter and vice versa on public transport.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 04-Jul-20 13:55:49

Take the offer and move, you deserve to be where you want to be.

annep1 Sat 04-Jul-20 13:59:11

From my own experience of not doing what I wanted and regretting it I'm with Lucca. Carpe diem.

DanniRae Sat 04-Jul-20 14:38:40

Definitely go!
Good Luck x

rafichagran Sat 04-Jul-20 14:44:28

Go, I think you may regret it if you dont.

MissAdventure Sat 04-Jul-20 14:51:44

Start packing, moggie smile
You sound as if you really want to go, so you must.

Susan56 Sat 04-Jul-20 14:57:19

I think you should move too.I’m with Miss Adventure,start packing!

Namsnanny Sat 04-Jul-20 15:20:30

Yes moggie I'm another start packing fan!

If you re read your post it seems to me you are actually saying, the only thing from stopping you is the fact that your daughter is inconvenienced because she doesnt drive!

Just talk to her about the logistics of you both getting together after the move.
Perhaps at a half way point?

Anyway Lucca had it in a nutshell ...carpe diem smile

Enjoy your new location/life.

Grandmabatty Sat 04-Jul-20 16:17:09

List pros and cons of both moving and staying but ultimately you are unhappy where you are so I would go with my feelings. Family situations can change. There's no guarantee that your daughter will always be around. I moved out of my preferred area to another that I didn't know and I'm very happy. I think you are clear headed in that you are saying it is probably temporary anyway on the way to where you really want to be.

readsalot Sat 04-Jul-20 20:41:25

You only live once and it's your life. Time to move! Good luck.

cc Sun 05-Jul-20 09:43:33

I moved 13 years ago, away from my children. I've been very happy here and love our house but in the end it has come down to wanting to be nearer to my children and grandchildren. Also my DH has health problems and I don't really relish the idea of being left here alone in our large house when I'm older. If you are absolutely clear that you'd rather be near your brother (and presumably his family) than your daughter then it is the right thing to do, but think about when you are older too.

Keeper1 Sun 05-Jul-20 09:45:28

Wouldn’t the go want to visit if you are near the sea?

Keeper1 Sun 05-Jul-20 09:45:59

That should re gc

Shropshirelass Sun 05-Jul-20 09:50:33

Do what your heart tells you. If your health and happiness will be exit from moving then do so, put yourself first. Good luck..

Shropshirelass Sun 05-Jul-20 09:51:04

Be exit should read benefit!

Lancslass1 Sun 05-Jul-20 09:51:44

No brainier.
Just go.
Good Luck.

Coconut Sun 05-Jul-20 09:58:29

Follow your own heart, and think how the GC will love visiting a Nanny by the sea. Life is too short to be unhappy ...

JadeOlivia Sun 05-Jul-20 10:02:11

I think you have already made up your mind to go and the real worry is how to tell your daughter. Your brother is of your generation ...it may not be your last ever move either .....maybe your daughter will move to be nearer you in the next few years...do what is best for you now

Esmerelda Sun 05-Jul-20 10:06:22

Yes, GO!

Jess20 Sun 05-Jul-20 10:11:50

Ask yourself what it is about the move that will actually make you happy, and what you expect to get out of it that you can't where you are. Make an honest list of the pros and cons. It's easy to think something like a house move will solve our problems but then take all our baggage with us and nothing really changes. You say the move is temporary, will you be able to relax and feel happy if you know you will be moving on yet again? How will you feel while you wait for that move to town? Having said that, a few years ago I moved across the country beause I didn't really like where I had been living for the last 20 years. It was a very good move and life is far better. If it's the start of a positive journey towards a better life and not just trying to leave disappointment and discontent behind, I'd say go!

EmilyHarburn Sun 05-Jul-20 10:16:41

Do what you want to do. Housing likes people who accept offers and if you turn this one down they may not bother to off you anything. When you are ready to move again they will remember you as a positive tennant and will offer you something that suits you at the time if it is available.

none of us know how long we have to live so live life to the full whilst you have it.

TwinLolly Sun 05-Jul-20 10:18:45

A change is as good as a holiday! Go, and be happy. smileflowers

polnan Sun 05-Jul-20 10:21:27

Good luck with making you descision