Gransnet forums

AIBU

To love liver and bacon

(149 Posts)
Sallywally1 Fri 24-Jul-20 17:30:32

Lots of people seem to hate it and to have bad childhood memories! We had it tonight and it was lovely with smoked bacon and cheesy mash.

anyone else

Fennel Fri 24-Jul-20 19:14:10

Tripe was one of the few things I refused to eat as a child.
The other was parsnips for some reason.
We regularly have sliced ox liver with lots of onions and gravy. It's one of the cheapest meat cuts and very nourishing.
With mashed potatoes and peas.
When we had chickens we used to make a pate from their livers and that's a real delicacy, but a lot of fiddly work

EllanVannin Fri 24-Jul-20 19:21:00

I'm another fan of liver and tripe and onions.
About the only thing I don't like are artichokes.

Elrel Fri 24-Jul-20 19:24:52

I loved it, so did my son. Now I’m vegetarian and he is vegan.

Laughterlines Fri 24-Jul-20 19:36:04

We ate a lot of liver after the war as it was available in “offal” shops without food ration coupons.

Lambs liver thinly sliced and stir fried quickly with a good squeeze of lemon is delicious.

Peardrop50 Fri 24-Jul-20 19:39:45

Had pigs liver last night and leftovers tonight. Both times with onions, mashed potato, peas and gravy, delicious and nutritious, mmmmm

BBbevan Fri 24-Jul-20 19:42:01

When my DS was at Junior school they were given the menu for that week’s lunches. One week Cowboy Hotpot featured. He went on about it all week and was really looking forward to it. Turned out it was casserole with liver. He has never trusted a menu since. Scared him for life

NfkDumpling Fri 24-Jul-20 19:49:47

We just had liver and bacon tonight too. Pigs liver (pre-soaked in milk), potatoes, peas and cauliflower. Wonderful.

NfkDumpling Fri 24-Jul-20 19:52:07

BBbevan

When my DS was at Junior school they were given the menu for that week’s lunches. One week Cowboy Hotpot featured. He went on about it all week and was really looking forward to it. Turned out it was casserole with liver. He has never trusted a menu since. Scared him for life

The cowboy hotpot we used to make was just beef casserole with a large tin of baked beans added. No liver was involved. I feel sure cowboys would have eaten proper bits of beef and lots of beans.

MissAdventure Fri 24-Jul-20 19:54:15

Yep.
Cowboys are strong enough to say "no liver!" and their mums take notice.

tanith Fri 24-Jul-20 19:54:19

I love liver and bacon with onion gravy and mash got to be lambs liver though it was DH’s absolute favourite meal.

Sar53 Fri 24-Jul-20 19:56:50

I don't like it at all but DH had liver, bacon and onions for his tea tonight. I make him cook the liver.

Lucca Fri 24-Jul-20 19:56:51

Bellanonna

They make a very palatable version in Italy: liver with sage (fegato alla salvia). It’s tender and delicious unlike some of the chewy stuff I’ve had (but no longer do) in pubs or restaurants here.

I love that!

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 24-Jul-20 19:59:20

I used to prepare it for my DH to take to work. I would make a quantity and freeze it. That last time was about 35 years ago, he was unwell at home, he was being very sick. I took him to the hospital where he was shouting at the top of his voice, "my wife's trying to poison me!" Eventually I got it out of him that he'd taken the meal to work (leaving about 7.30 am) and left it in the heated office all day before microwaving it and consuming it. He never had it again!

flopen Fri 24-Jul-20 20:02:56

We used to keep a couple of pigs and the very, very best liver is from pigs slaughtered that day.

I remember that one abattoir that we used sent the liver back to us still connected to the spinal cord, along with the lungs and kidneys. We didn't use them again.

The only pain about eating liver with my husband is that he goes on and on about why do people without much food not eat liver (cheap, nutritious , no waste etc)

Grandmabatty Fri 24-Jul-20 20:48:48

I used to love liver, bacon and onions until I had a terrible bout of food poisoning after it once. Me and ExDH really suffered and the liver was to blame. Never had it since.

grumppa Fri 24-Jul-20 20:52:15

Love it. And tripes à la mode de Caen.

kittylester Fri 24-Jul-20 21:00:13

We love liver and bacon with onion gravy with a splash of balsamic and crispy fried sage leaves. Served with mash and peas.

Must buy liver!!

callgirl1 Fri 24-Jul-20 21:01:43

Hate liver (and kidney!)
When I was a child the tripe man came round the streets every Saturday. I used to dread it, because my mother used to send me out with a plate to get her order. I never would try it, just the sight and smell used to make me heave. My daughter feeds her German Shepherd tripe, says it`s good for him. Poor dog!!

Bridie22 Fri 24-Jul-20 21:01:56

Love liver and unsmoked bacon with buttery mash smothered in a thick onion gravy, yum.

Urmstongran Fri 24-Jul-20 21:21:23

I adore L&B! food of the gods.
Especially in the winter, with mustard mash and greens.
?

MissAdventure Fri 24-Jul-20 21:22:13

It sounds better abbreviated. smile

Urmstongran Fri 24-Jul-20 21:23:47

P.s. has to be lamb’s liver though!
I hate the tougher pig’s liver with ‘tubes’.
?

Urmstongran Fri 24-Jul-20 21:24:33

Haha! MissA
?

MissAdventure Fri 24-Jul-20 21:36:09

"Would you like some nice L and B for dinner"?

"F O!!!"

Sallywally1 Fri 24-Jul-20 21:37:35

My late golden retriever, (May she rest in peace and rise in glory) used to go nuts for tripe, even growling at her mum (me) if I went near her whilst she was gobbling it down. However on the advice of a vet this diet was discouraged and she was put on the complete food that was ‘good for her”.