Gransnet forums

AIBU

People showing off on facebook

(76 Posts)
Notjustaprettyface Sat 25-Jul-20 17:23:54

Am I being unreasonable to think that people who put lovely pics of their holiday etc on Facebook knowing that you are going through a rough patch ( husband in hospital a long way from here , unsure if he will recover fully )
are insensitive ?
Especially when that person is your sister and she knows about your current circumstances ?
What do you think ? I know that if tte roles were reversed I would be very reluctant to show off on Facebook knowing my sister was having a tough time
But maybe I am over sensitive ?
Would love to know your thoughts

Craftycat Sun 26-Jul-20 12:05:06

I doubt they are up there just for you. You tend to put FB pics up for everyone in your group to see.
I hope things improve for you soon.

HeatherTee Sun 26-Jul-20 12:07:17

Even though she’s on hols and posting lovely pics, I’m sure you and your husband are in her thoughts.

Thecatshatontgemat Sun 26-Jul-20 12:11:08

You seem to be overly sensitive to this situation.
Facebook is often a platform for the me, me, me generation. So, unless your sister is being deliberately spiteful to you, and rubbing your nose in your misfortune, l really wouldn't take on so.
The solution is extremely easy : just uninstall Facebook.
Problem solved!

JaneRn Sun 26-Jul-20 12:57:00

Solution> Boastful people on Facebook are a pain. Just don't bother to look at their photos!

59viper Sun 26-Jul-20 12:57:40

If it was just random FB friends i would say no,but your sister?
Very insensitive.

BlueBelle Sun 26-Jul-20 13:03:37

I must be very lucky but then I choose my friends carefully but I don’t have any braggers on my timeline and if I did I would ‘acquaintance‘ them

Lulubelle500 Sun 26-Jul-20 13:26:17

Have always thought Facebook is the Devil's Own! I mean, why would you post your whole life out there for everyone to see? My friends and family and I talk regularly, we don't feel the need to tell the world what is happening in our lives. (Why would they be interested for a start?) I'm not a technophobe- I think the Internet is a wondrous thing and emailing has changed my life in terms of keeping in touch with people who have moved away but I have control over what I put out there.

GillT57 Sun 26-Jul-20 14:01:50

I think you are perhaps being a bit oversensitive, and quite understandably, but your sister won't just have you as a friend on FB, the photos will have been for many to see, and there really is no harm. I felt the same many years ago ( pre FB) when I had just miscarried my first, much wanted child and everywhere I went, it seemed, was people with pushchairs, or friends announcing their pregnancies and I felt that it was aimed at me. It wasn't. I hope your husband recovers and that you are able to resume your normal life soon, but meanwhile, you must appreciate that other people's lives don't stop, holidays don't get cancelled because your DH is ill. This doesn't mean your Sister doesn't care, but frankly, cancelling their holiday, or being secretive about it will not contribute anything to your husband's recovery. Best wishes to you and to your husband. flowers

Kate1949 Sun 26-Jul-20 14:05:03

I can't stand Facebook. Or Facebrag as we call it.

Chaitriona Sun 26-Jul-20 14:35:44

I don’t think you are over sensitive. Just sensitive at this time which is understandable. I think most people would feel the same. I know I have felt like this about round robins at Christmas time, recounting the many achievements of one friend’s children in a horribly boastful way when my daughter was bedridden for many years. I think she should have left me off her list. I suppose the Facebook post was not sent to you specifically though. Is your sister in touch with you and supportive and kind to you in other ways? We have to accept that other people have happiness in life and not resent them for it. We were probably not much different from them at other times in our life. There is no need to torture ourselves though and turning away from and not thinking about these pictures too much will help. I am so sorry for the pain you are undergoing at the moment.

Elegran Sun 26-Jul-20 14:43:09

Facebook is whatever the posters you know want to make of it, no more, no less, just as their letters and phone calls and Christmas cards to you are either interesting or annoying depending on what they use them for. It is just another way of communicating,

If you have friends who use it to brag about how much money they have spent on expensive, clothes and holidays, you will see it as Facebrag.

If you have family and friends who you don't see very often but who use it to put on photos of new babies, their holidays, new sofa, and so on, you can follow their news that way.

jenpax Sun 26-Jul-20 15:25:39

I don’t agree with the general consensus in that I think your sister should have been mindful of your circumstances before posting. I certainly am very careful who will view my posts and sometimes taylor them to the audience, when I am aware of an issue for a friend or family member. This is no different to being mindful of not hurting someone in a face to face contact eg I wouldn’t discuss a fun filled holiday in a room with a friend recently bereaved etc.
I also get annoyed by the carefully curated brag Fests of some on fb but I have a small group of friends and don’t seem to get this problem too often thankfully.

Coco51 Sun 26-Jul-20 15:39:23

Maybe you could share their happiness

AlisonKF Sun 26-Jul-20 15:40:37

I am baffled by a few people who post flattering pictures of themselves, their children and sundry relations expecting the other people on their list to be interested. I have a small list of contacts, all of whom I know personally. I would not think of whipping out a family photograph album these days. Mostly my contacts are on the basis of shared political views, or sense of humour.

specki4eyes Sun 26-Jul-20 15:59:15

Facebook...the work of the Devil. Get off it and get your own life.

songstress60 Sun 26-Jul-20 16:00:44

Yes, I think your sister is being very insenstive given your current situation. When I was long-term unemployed my sister showed me her new car, and banged on about her new leather suite. It's just rubbing it in, and in your situation you don't need it. I would tell her about it.

Jane10 Sun 26-Jul-20 16:02:31

Coco51 ?

garnet25 Sun 26-Jul-20 16:20:36

I tend not to put photos of our holidays on Facebook and certainly not while we are away as that would invalidate our house insurance. I also hate the use of FB for bragging, I have a SIL who constantly posts selfies, why I have no idea. I post my mainly wildlife holiday photos on a specalist photo site.

JdotJ Sun 26-Jul-20 16:26:53

She's living in the moment and obv wants to post pics now as the holiday is relevant to her life at this point in time. I'm sure that doesnt mean she isnt thinking of you both

justme2 Sun 26-Jul-20 16:52:24

For some people, being able to Facebook Brag is the motivation for the excursion.

Jane10 Sun 26-Jul-20 17:05:09

Bragging or followers with chips on their shoulders? Be happy that your friends and family are having a good time even though you might not be right now.
How you you feel if you innocently posted about a nice meal out or a holiday photo and small minded people accused you of bragging?

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Sun 26-Jul-20 17:06:31

There is always the option to snooze people for a limited time or block them completely. It doesn't bother me what people post about but I do get a tad cross when people get "upset" at others posts e.g. One friend complains about how aweful their kids are and another says you should be lucky you have kids! One situation does not trump someone else's and no one should feel guilty for feeling they way they do. As another poster said your sister is living her life and although yours is not good at the moment that shouldn't mean she has to stop or feel guilty. The only time I've snoozed someone is because every single post is political as she is a remainer. Even Covid is Brexiteers fault, it just became tedious so 30 days without that in my feed was great ?

Lucca Sun 26-Jul-20 17:19:21

Facebook is ok if you manage it. I have quite a lot of old uni friends on mine and it’s great to keep up with their lives, if I find any friends are irritating me I just unfollow them!
A senior colleague used to bang on about how stressed and overworked she was and I had to unfollow her otherwise I would have ended up commenting to the effect that nobody forced her to go for promotion and the big salary !!

Chewbacca Sun 26-Jul-20 17:33:36

We have a neighbourhood Facebook group, mainly used for things like stupid parking or litter louts etc. But one chap uses it to document his daily life on: how he prefers his toast in a morning, whether he's having tea or coffee, decaf or regular, which shirt should he wear that day..... He's married, employed and has a family but he seems to feel the need to document the minutia of his life for public approval or comment. We've all got our heads in our hands now he's gone on a diet because we get twice daily bulletins of what he's eaten!
Some people just seem to need have public approbation or approval for what's going on their lives, even the boring, day to day bits.

Clevedon Sun 26-Jul-20 18:06:18

My family do things like this all the time. I was especially hurt not to be invited to a wedding. For my sanity, I turn off the photos and look later if I want to. Hope things improve soon.