Gransnet forums

AIBU

MASKS

(142 Posts)
Serendipity22 Sun 26-Jul-20 11:03:52

Good morning everyone.

My question today is what are peoples opinions of wearing a mask ?

I will explain my opinion. I k ow they are necessary, I understand their purpose and despite not feeling comfortable in the slightest wearing one, I am on the understanding that I would rather wear one than catch the virus, but the whole situation has left me avoiding going shops or generally out and about and I have to agree with a report I read this a.m that others such as myself, will be drawn to online shopping opposed to trailing round shops, and then WHERE does that leave the high street ?

In the meantime, when its necessary to go out ( food shopping, petrol station) I will wear my mask, but other than the necessary public places, I will refrain.

[Smile]

earnshaw Mon 27-Jul-20 16:34:19

i now always wear a mask in shops , sometimes it gets quite warm and its nice to get outside and take it off, dont feel at all conspicuous wearing one, its difficult to enforce wearing one but, why on earth not, even if its not foolproof at least its better than nothing

Aepgirl Mon 27-Jul-20 17:49:48

I have got used to wearing a mask, and have at last found them quite comfortable.

I had a hospital appointment today, and there was no way I would have been allowed in without a mask, so we really do have to get used to it.

seadragon Mon 27-Jul-20 18:59:09

I am happy to wear a mask; not just to save myself and others but also because one of my front teeth finally fell out after years of bashing by babies throwing their heads back topped off with a smack in the mouth by my binoculars whilst I was removing them from round my neck in a hurry. With the current demand for urgent dentistry following lockdown, I may be dead before I can get an appointment!

Serendipity22 Mon 27-Jul-20 19:03:04

Hi TheFrugalPiggy ( brilliant name hahaha )

I am so consumed by your name that I have forgotten what I was going to put in my reply! Hahaha... oh yes, that it... charity shops (love em, love em, love em ) I have worn my mask in a few and then there were a couple that said no masks were necessary ... I still wore it though despite the fact I could hardly see when I put my glasses on to see the prices, then I thought how on EARTH do ppl manage when they have to wear them for hours on end !

I have got an extension that fits round back of my head so the mask isnt soooooo tight and restrictive......

Serendipity22 Mon 27-Jul-20 19:11:44

Good grief seadragon ..... I can see your reasoning for the mask and yes I agree (coz I'm waiting too) regarding the dentist working his/her magic.

B9exchange Mon 27-Jul-20 19:13:55

The previous black stretch one either fell off my nose or hit the bottom of my eyelids and when I put it on to enter the shop a little girl burst into tears.

This is the point I have been trying to make, plain black masks terrify very small children. Grandson still screams at the sight of one and is inconsolable for ages. Please think of the little ones and wear something brightly coloured, or just a pale colour, like the surgical disposable ones.

BettyBoop49 Mon 27-Jul-20 19:32:18

Just do it and stop complaining!

Joesoap Mon 27-Jul-20 20:03:52

Yes the mask thread has been exhausted I agree, but I think wearing masks is eesential to keep the economy going or shops are going to close and people will feel they are in lock down again, buying on line, not going out etc that is not the way,people will feel isolated again, and in the end people will not go out, how sad is that.You must try to wear a masks indoors for quite some time first, then it may be easier when in shops,give it a try.Its ok for me to say as having been a Nurse all my life I have worked many times for hours on end, with a mask on, you really do get used to them. Please dont shoot the messenger!

Serendipity22 Mon 27-Jul-20 20:13:42

Thank you joesoap....
I was wondering if you think a scarf would suffice..... you know pulled up over nose ? Just a thought ......

Yes I understand that here we have yet another discussion of masks , but in my defence I did put the word 'mask' in the search box previous to starting this thread, and nothing came up, something that I have stated in a previous thread, so apologies for ruffling any feathers......

flowers

Kim19 Mon 27-Jul-20 20:13:51

Serendipity, (lovely name and, I do believe my favourite word) I appreciate you airing this topic. It interests me greatly. Thank you. My current ugh is that I am constantly seeing discarded masks. More litter and potentially dangerous in this instance. Today's were in a supermarket trolley and in a gutter. Scary.

Shizam Mon 27-Jul-20 20:26:43

I’m glad you posted this serendipity haven’t seen any of the other posts. Mask in supermarket today was so difficult. Swear wearing it is going to give me covid. My glasses kept fogging up, so kept touching it and my face to adjust. I’m happy to wear one, but not if I can’t see where I’m going!
Read the tip about washing glasses then leaving to air dry etc. But I’m not good about remembering to do that. Don’t wear them for driving, walking about etc. Need them for reading.
Can anyone suggest a mask that doesn’t give your glasses the fug?

Kim19 Mon 27-Jul-20 21:32:06

Shazam, I had the same problem but I now wear my specs slightly further down my nose and just over the top of the mask. Works for me. Hope it helps you.

Sawsage2 Mon 27-Jul-20 23:56:44

I agree gransnet isn't good for searching for topics. Shouldn't have to search on Google first.

SueDonim Tue 28-Jul-20 00:25:40

We’ve been wearing masks since lockdown. We don’t want to get the virus and we certainly don’t want to unwittingly give it to someone else, should we be asymptomatic

I truly don’t know how mask-deniers can live with their selfishmess. I’m almost tempted to use the ❄️ word that so many older people like to use against younger folk.

My newly qualified medic dd has been wearing a mask for up to 13 hours a day, in order to protect you, the public. At first she often felt faint but she persevered and within a couple of days, she had overcome the difficulty. The least anyone could do to support the NHS is #wearthedamnmask angry

Btw, for the steamed up glasses problem, a folded tissue tucked under the top of the mask has solved that problem for me.

Spangler Tue 28-Jul-20 01:32:33

Do you want to make a point about masks? Wear a protest mask, the first one would look good on the ladies.

Lucca Tue 28-Jul-20 07:37:07

Have absolutely no comprehension of why you would need to make a protest, it’s for your own good for heavens sake.

Spangler Tue 28-Jul-20 07:45:55

Lucca

Have absolutely no comprehension of why you would need to make a protest, it’s for your own good for heavens sake.

Perhaps my posts are ambiguous, it's not me that's making a protest, just sending up those that do. I will try to be clearer in future.

Lucca Tue 28-Jul-20 07:48:45

Sorry Spangler in that case ! I kind of meant “you” in the sense of “one”.

Tweedle24 Tue 28-Jul-20 10:54:06

halfpint You are right, of course but, I think the point I was trying to make is that wearing a mask is primarily showing consideration for others.

Serendipity22 Tue 28-Jul-20 12:09:29

Thank you to all for your views .... appreciated......

Enjoy your day and on positive note, we should all be proud for following guidelines, protecting each and everyone of us and together we WILL prevail.....

smile

grandtanteJE65 Tue 28-Jul-20 13:03:37

I have worn a mask every time I cross the German border to go shopping or to go to Mass.

I have found them far less troublesome with regards to glasses steaming up than I had anticipated.

If shop assistents in some shops don't have to wear masks and other do, surely you can just refuse to shop where they don't wear them. That will get them into masks quickly .

SusieFlo Tue 28-Jul-20 15:29:01

A mask stops you spreading the virus so if everyone wears one nobody will be spreading it.....

Taliya Tue 28-Jul-20 15:39:58

I personally don't think face masks actually reduce transmission of the virus. I wear face masks obviously in shops or other places that require them but Im doing most of my shopping online from now on. I was shouted at by another shopper today (I was wearing a mask) for apparently coming within a few cm of the 2 meter rule ! I think social distancing and hand sanitizer were enough to bring down infection rates over the last month. You don't have to wear face masks in libraries, gums, pubs, leisure centres, schools, cafes, restaurants etc. I think the government brought the mandatory rule for face mask wearing in shops because it wanted people to shop more and feel safer.

Taliya Tue 28-Jul-20 15:41:16

Sorry that should have read 'gyms' not 'gums'!

TheFrugalPiggy Tue 28-Jul-20 22:09:31

Serendipity22 thank you so much for saying you liked my name. I wanted to use a name which reflected me as much as possible. Firstly I'm into Frugality, self sufficiency etc. Secondly my husband's nickname for me is Piggy.