Gransnet forums

AIBU

Shoppers shouting at other shoppers?

(61 Posts)
Taliya Tue 28-Jul-20 15:10:53

I had to go into town today to buy my grandson a birthday card and post it and while I was there I thought I would go into the supermarket there to get a few things I could not get online ( not a supermarket I usually go to). I put my face mask on and did my shopping. I walked down an aisle to get to the checkout to pay and there was a middle aged lady and an older lady standing in the middle of the aisle chatting, so I walked round them giving them some distance. The next thing I know the middle aged lady starts shouting at the top of her voice....You are not social distancing etc and went on a rant at me. Well a few choice words were exchanged! I told the security guard on the way out and I think he went to have a word with her. They need to put signs up in shops now that it's unacceptable for customers to start shouting at other customers. During lockdown I never saw anyone shout at another customer. Since the face masks were introduced I've witnessed someone in another supermarket confront someone who wasn't wearing a mask. It's getting ridiculous now. I'm shopping for everything online from now because I don't need this kind of upset and hassle when I'm shopping. I'm not being unreasonable am I in expecting not to be shouted at. Loads of people over the last few months may have got closer than 2 meters to me while I'm shopping but I don't start shouting at them . People need to chill more .

NannyG123 Thu 30-Jul-20 11:47:03

I encountered during lockdown whilst shopping. 4 woman standing in the middle of an Isle chatting. At that time I was very nervous and didn't go down that aisle, until they decided to go their separate ways.

SunnySusie Wed 29-Jul-20 21:01:15

Sounds like the person shouting was way out of order Taliya. I agree its all getting ridiculous. People have walked near to me loads of times in supermarkets, and its got worse since masks were introduced. I dont know if its the people who have been shielded who havent yet absorbed the new normal, or whether people think because of the mask there is less danger. However I wouldnt dream of shouting at any one, or even commenting. Its not my job to judge the behaviour of others and correct it.

H1954 Wed 29-Jul-20 20:40:04

It's not just inconsiderate customers who stand gossiping and block the aisles in our local supermarket, the order pickers are even worse! Bloody nuisances, they stand two abreast chatting away and no one can get past them!

Chardy Wed 29-Jul-20 20:12:05

Can't believe the number of people who stand in the middle (of a path, supermarket aisle etc) so you can't socially distance

jerseygirl Wed 29-Jul-20 18:45:05

Online shopping, the way forward sadly.

Taliya Wed 29-Jul-20 17:41:22

Thanks for all your comments. Yes, I now have much sympathy for supermarket workers because after speaking to one they said they have had to police bad behaviour in Supermarkets during this crisis. I do think there needs to be a sign up saying to customers shouting at staff or other customers is unacceptable.

Mollygo Wed 29-Jul-20 17:19:10

Chewbacca that is so true about the level of anger and the desire to point out other’s shortcomings and rule contraventions.

It’s as if it shouting, criticising, responding too sharply or relating how you have adhered faithfully to the regulations, gives you a feeling of being in control of ‘something’.
I think being afraid will be with us for a while.

nexus63 Wed 29-Jul-20 17:18:24

i have been shouted at in english and chinese, 3 chinese students shopping, one is dancing up and down the aisles and bumping into people, i asked her to stop when she bumped into me, she carried on dancing and making faces, i then asked her friend if she understood english and to tell her to stop, next thing they are all shouting at me in chinese, i have been shouted and tutted at while sitting on the floor of the supermarket having a seizure due to the mask bringing on my epilepsy. blocking the aisles i either loudly say excuse me and if they ignore i move there trolley.....but i always smile xx

Chewbacca Wed 29-Jul-20 17:06:35

I've come to the conclusion that society, as a whole, has become much angrier and confrontational since the beginning of lockdown. Everyone was angrily watching everyone else to see if the breached any "rules" and the constant cries of encouragement to repirt them to the police etc was continual. Now that more of us are out and about, many people are angry and frightened that despite all the precautions they take, they might still get infected with COVID. And being able hide behind a mask is like bullies who hide behind a computer screen; they've become braver in saying things that they wouldn't ordinarily have the guts to say.

JaneRn Wed 29-Jul-20 16:48:35

There have always been nasty, rude people but thankfully many more nice ones.

My philosophy when I am attacked by one of the nasties is that at least taking out their anger on me and are not at home kicking the cat!

cmwmoonshine Wed 29-Jul-20 16:32:11

Damn not Danny Blimy ?

cmwmoonshine Wed 29-Jul-20 16:31:01

DD not CD or RD
Danny autocorrect ?

cmwmoonshine Wed 29-Jul-20 16:29:47

My eldest CD was in a shop the other day and she spotted her dad's ex-wife who we all get on with really well in a nutshell she coughed but under her breath another woman said "ugh will you shut up and did already , coming in here with no mask and coughing all over us"
Now RD is not the type to bite someone's head off said "excuse me ? This lady is well into her 80s she has one lung and in that one lung she has cancer ! So if I were you I'd shut up and get on with your shopping! " then she called her a bad word !
Some people need to stop and think before they open their mouth

ChrisK Wed 29-Jul-20 14:26:41

Well how about my local supermarket we have pickers for on line customers making up orders, it is a large branch of the biggest chain in the country and these on line pickers can be nose to tail inthe aisle, they reach across you and if they excuse themselves think it's okay, they just don't get it

Jaxjacky Wed 29-Jul-20 12:38:15

If you go online you can get a sunflower lanyard, bage, visor etcfor those with hidden issues wearing a mask, they’re not very expensive

EllanVannin Wed 29-Jul-20 12:16:36

It's going to take me long time before I go into supermarkets if this is the kind of reception you're going to be met with. We can all do without such behaviour during these times.
Arguments and snapping/ shouting are the last things we need.

suelld Wed 29-Jul-20 12:14:17

I live in Wales and currently there is no mask RULE except on Public Transport and similar - but I had to go out to the doctors yesterday for the first time and wore my mask - despite feeling anxious and VERY gaspy/uncomfortable as I have asthma - the feeling of not being able to breath with it on is awful - and stress of course makes it worse! I persevered however and got to the docs and back - but on my journey walking through town I only saw one elderly couple with masks on - NO-One else was wearing one! Re the chatting couple - I wouldn't have gone near them but if they were in the way of something I needed I (think) I would have asked them to move and mentioned social distancing - but not shouted at them! If it had happened to me in reality I'm not sure what I would have done, you never know until you're actually 'on the spot' do you?

Riggie Wed 29-Jul-20 12:00:57

Theres a local supermarket I rarely use as people are always shouting at each other there anywhere, even without covid! A friend who goes there days its rife with pickpockets so I wonder if its for distraction?

Elderflower2 Wed 29-Jul-20 11:51:21

So far I've found the supermarket staff telling others to move away from me. Must have a magnet somewhere ;)

lemongrove Wed 29-Jul-20 11:51:10

Although I have never been shouted at in shops, or witnessed it either, it must be upsetting.I think the virus problem has exacerbated worries so that even naturally pleasant people are liable to rage moments at times.As for the ones who are always ready to lose their rag....they must be off the scale.
I do the same as seadragon just stand waiting until they notice....then they are usually very apologetic and move aside.
It’s what ‘speakers’ do when addressing an audience, if people are chatting, they stop the talk and stand in silence until the chatty ones realise, and are then so embarrassed they keep quiet.?

polnan Wed 29-Jul-20 11:41:12

I go to a small supermarket, well only just started going to shops, been having deliveries with isolation.

most shoppers used to be so pleasant, chatting etc..

now most everyone seems so miserable... if someone is in the way, whether chatting, or just parking their trolley out into the passage way, whilst they contemplate stuff on the shelves, I usually stop and say "excuse me" depending on vibes I get , I will mostly, smile, surely it shows in our eyes?
and say, didn`t want to smash your butt, or didn`t want to take inches off your bum! mostly I get a good response.

tough it they don`t like it, I have said excuse me..

yesterday, a lady was coughing away, just her, and another shopper and me,, in the aisle... she apologised and said not the virus, I have asthma, so we both stopped and suggested she should get a letter/note from her doc, so she doesn`t have to wear a mask as she explained it aggravate her asthma.
it was a pleasant chat, she didn`t seem to know she could be exempt..
as we parted. I thanked the other lady for chatting, and we both said we had been isolated and were lonely, and how "miserable" everyone seemed to have got... no more smiling, (well can we see the mouth smiling) and no more pleasantries...

this lockup has caused a terrible change in the English way of life in more ways than one.

25Avalon Wed 29-Jul-20 11:39:58

I bought our grandson a 1st birthday card from Amazon so I did not have to go to the shops as we are still isolating. Lovely card that cost £2.99, arrived in a couple of days.
Always worth googling things Taliya if you don’t want to go out shopping which isn’t much fun these days.

moobox Wed 29-Jul-20 11:24:36

I have noticed that although I could shout at people I can’t smile at them

maddyone Wed 29-Jul-20 11:09:15

Taliya
You shouldn’t have been shouted at, that was unkind and rude. They should chat outside where they’re not blocking the aisle.

justwokeup Wed 29-Jul-20 11:09:00

Youngatheart51 don't be put off. You can walk outside without a mask so try that first. It will be lovely to get out and about so take it slowly.