Gransnet forums

AIBU

Cycling on pavement

(102 Posts)
Grandmafrench Tue 28-Jul-20 22:53:46

You're right of course but made to feel otherwise. It is illegal.

Cycles should always be on a road or on a designated cycle path. It probably wouldn't be too much of a problem if people behaved in such a way that they gave priority to pedestrians, cycled very slowly, always looked where they were going and gave way to anyone walking, etc. But since they don't, it can be quite dangerous and, of course, like so many laws these days, there's no enforcement by the Police.

GagaJo Tue 28-Jul-20 22:41:16

I was out with my GS today, in the push chair thankfully, when a boy (12/13ish) came hurtling round a corner and nearly rode into the push chair. I was shocked, but carried on walking. 30 seconds later, another one almost crashed into us.

As he swerved, I yelled, 'Get on the road!' He said 'Why?' So I replied, 'Because you're supposed to ride on the road.'

We crossed the road and next thing I knew a car drove past with a dodgy looking woman hanging out of the window. She shouted 'Ask next time!' at me. I assume about my telling the boy to get on the road.

Since I've been walking as a form of exercise lately, I've noticed a lot of cyclists riding on the pavement. Am I incorrect to think this is wrong? My assumption was cyclists belong on the road or a cycle path.