Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU dogs on beaches

(136 Posts)
Scissordolly Fri 14-Aug-20 09:46:12

My friend and I took a picnic to the beach. We found a socially distanced space. Beside us was a family with two dogs. The dog poo in a bag was set on the seawall to be disposed of later. I covered dog poo which was sitting on the sand near us with sand. Another family came and the little boy started to dig a hole in the sand as kids do.luckily not where the poo was but it could have been. I didn't find the afternoon enjoyable.
Nearly everyone had a dog!
On the IOM dogs are allowed on beaches till 10pm and then after 9pm during the summer months which I think is a good idea. Anyone agree?

Callistemon Wed 30-Sep-20 10:50:44

I feel the pandemic has brought out the worst in many people
It has, hasn't it Maybee.
Littering was a problem but never this bad.

Hetty58 Wed 30-Sep-20 10:54:52

I think some beaches should be permanently dog free and others dog friendly. There will always be irresponsible owners who don't clear up after them - especially if there's nobody around.

Just this morning, I've managed to tread in something while walking my dog. My trainers are waiting outside to be cleaned (when I feel up to it). It's disgusting!

lemongrove Wed 30-Sep-20 11:13:22

GagaJo

My favorite beach is a dog beach. It’s not often I find dog poo.

I love a beach with dogs on it. Running, swimming, barking. I don’t have a dog so love watching other people’s.

Same here, I love watching them bouncing about excitedly.
Many beaches do apply dog restrictions in busy Summer months, which is fair enough.

Callistemon Wed 30-Sep-20 11:29:19

Scissordolly it's probably far easier to find a beach where dogs are banned than to go to one which allows dogs.
I'm not sure why people who object to dogs would take a picnic to a dog friendly beach.

Anyway, it's not the dogs who can be a nuisance - it's the owners.

Ellianne Wed 30-Sep-20 11:38:23

This is our dog friendly part of the beach last weekend. Hardly a human in sight. Plenty of poo bins too.

Fennel Wed 30-Sep-20 12:03:04

Sinkholes are a risk for dogs - and humans - on beaches
Blyth beach - my hometown -is a normally a beautiful stretch of sand but a year ago a sinkhole appeared:
www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/cordon-place-after-huge-sinkhole-17049085
We were walking along there just a week later and dogs were still running around.
I think it's due to a land drain which overflows when tides are very high. The sand has been soft there since I was young. I was once riding a pony there and he sank into the sand - luckily managed to scramble out.

MayBee70 Wed 30-Sep-20 17:04:14

Fennel: have you seen the dolphins at Blyth? We wanted to go there the other week but heard that the infection rate in that area was high so decided against it.

Fennel Wed 30-Sep-20 18:06:45

No I haven't MayBe - we don't live there now, just visit sometimes to recall old memories.
I wouldn't worry about Blyth's infection rate if you're just walking on the beach - the fresh NE wind will clear the air.

Hollyhock1 Wed 30-Sep-20 18:12:37

I like to see dogs enjoying the sea and playing ball, etc. However, I always feel a bit sorry for the dogs on beaches, sat in very hot temperatures looking thoroughly miserable. Same applies when I see them being walked around busy shopping areas, etc.

PamelaJ1 Wed 30-Sep-20 18:24:17

We have a wonderful beach near us that has an area that allows dogs and an area for humans only.
The bit for humans comes first and is reached by a little bridge with a big sign- a dogs face with a cross on it warns dog owners off. By this time they have already passed a couple of signs that direct them to the dog part. Some obey the sign but a lot ignore it.
I like dogs but some people don’t, there is room for all. Most dog owners are brilliant some are not. Such is life🤷🏼‍♀️