Gransnet forums

AIBU

How would you deal with this situation?

(107 Posts)
donna1964 Sun 30-Aug-20 10:06:49

You drive 26 miles to a Private Dentist Appointment (Teeth Brace Checkup). You leave on time You drive into the City and it is gridlocked..because of roadworks. You telephone the Dentist to say you are stuck in Traffic and will be late...You are answered with a Answer Machine. Finally, you approach 2 carparks...one is full, 2nd carpark lets you in and there is no carpark spaces...you have to wait. You get to your Dentist appointment 45minutes late. Receptionist shows no understanding and says you have missed your appointment. That means you have to drive a further 26 miles home. Do you leave the Dentist quietly or do you argue your point. Bearing is mind...you have showed patience when your Dentist is running late and further you have in the past had to make a journey back to the Dentist 2 days after blocks where put on your teeth that fell off in the carpark after just having them put on.

Spangler Mon 31-Aug-20 19:14:16

donna1964, there's two issues here, as I see it. Your delayed arrival and the dentist response. You don't say how much time you allowed for travel or delay, so being late is down to you, no ifs or buts. But I do sympathise, I will come back to that.

The fact that the receptionist couldn't have shown some understanding of your plight is probably why you have started this thread. She could easily explained, that which others have eloquently said, so sorry that you have had a wasted journey but we have to keep within guidelines and so on.........

Coming back to my first point, here's why I sympathise. My previous dentist had relieved me of not to considerable sum for fitting two crowns, a four figure sum in fact.

Some months later an abscess had formed under the work of one of those crowns and as always it happened at the weekend. Come Monday my cheek was protruding out with the swelling. I called at my dentist without an appointment, the receptionist could see my swollen face, she rang through to surgery, my dentist absolutely refused to see me without an appointment, adding that he could see me on Thursday.

Months later I started getting reminders that my dental check up was due, which I ignored. The reminders continued so I phoned the surgery. After explaining my previous plight the receptionist remembered me. I told her that I left the surgery in such pain that I went to my doctor, told the receptionist there of my frustration with my dentist. She spoke to my doctor after she had finished with her last patient. Doctor came out of surgery, looked the swelling in my mouth, agreed it was an abscess and prescribed antibiotics, it took about thirty seconds.

By the time that my dentist would have seen me the antibiotics were taking effect. With that I found another dentist and have been with that practice ever since. If you are paying privately it's your choice. Do you like the dentist that you are with? If so, write to the practice and tell them how you feel. How they reply will give you the understanding that you need to stay or change. I hope that helps.

craftyone Mon 31-Aug-20 19:17:54

Donna1964, this was entirely your fault and your behaviour was appalling. Your dentist should have charged you for a missed appointment.

Marieeliz Mon 31-Aug-20 21:23:30

Donna1964 I think my dentist could be near yours. Albert Dock mentioned. Thank goodness I cancelled mine but will need to go soon. Rodney street

donna1964 Tue 01-Sep-20 22:14:58

Jillybird

Poor Donna. She's had a horrible frustrating waste of a day and now you are all telling her it was her own fault! It was a set of extremely unfortunate circumstances, one on top of another, leading to a bad final outcome. I completly agree that the dentist could not have put everyone else's treatment back 45 minutes, but the receptionist could at least have been sympathetic - that could have taken the heat out of the situation.
You now have to make a decision: make peace with the dentist and receptionist (I'd write a letter) or find another dentist.

Thank you Jillybird for some understanding. I have said it once and I will say it again. Had I received a return call to my message whilst waiting in the gridlock of traffic (not because of building work as someone as mentioned or that this area has always got a congestion of traffic)! The problem was road works and lanes of traffic closed down...so if you times that by 10 to what normally is congestion you would understand where I was coming from. I then went to the first carpark that said it was full when there was car spaces available and the second carpark let me in but was full and I then had to wait for someone to return to their car to get a carpark space. STILL no one had returned my call from the Dentist and when I arrived at the Dentist and spoke to the Receptionist...the first thing she said was 'I should have left a message' when I did. I asked her to check for my message and she would'nt. I insisted she spoke to my Dentist as she does not make his decisions for him...he came out to speak to me then told me the Receptionist quoted more than I did say and when I challenged her on what she said...she was very sheepish has she had been caught out and she knew it. I then had to listen to the Dentist then to say 'he did not know whether he believed me' I found that to be unacceptable, inappropriate also unprofessional of him. Had my telephone message been returned I would have turned around at the next exit and not continued to the Dentist. That is where the problem began from their side...before this situation they have not returned calls nor answered the phone. As for some of the people on here there are a few of them who speak down to you, like they have a dirty smell under their nose, are without sin and do no wrong (or so they think) so cast stones at others...I think they get a kick out of it putting people down.. must make them feel good...sad really.

donna1964 Tue 01-Sep-20 22:21:10

Marieeliz

Donna1964 I think my dentist could be near yours. Albert Dock mentioned. Thank goodness I cancelled mine but will need to go soon. Rodney street

My Dentist is across the road from the Albert Dock near a Dessert Cafe and Gym.

JuneRose Tue 01-Sep-20 22:28:13

Donna I sympathise. Even if the receptionist was only doing her job sometimes they come across as so unbearably smug about it when you're hot and bothered and already totally stressed out. And to have to pay for the privilege. Don't blame you for arguing your case.

trustgone4sure Fri 04-Sep-20 14:38:13

Oldwoman70 is spot on.

donna1964 Sat 05-Sep-20 02:32:43

JuneRose

Donna I sympathise. Even if the receptionist was only doing her job sometimes they come across as so unbearably smug about it when you're hot and bothered and already totally stressed out. And to have to pay for the privilege. Don't blame you for arguing your case.

Thank you JuneRose xx

donna1964 Sun 06-Sep-20 19:25:18

Greciangirl

I think the dentist is at fault.

They should have answered the phone, the OP did try and explain her late arrival. Because of their failure to answer the phone, she had a wasted journey and a lot of stress.
I sympathise.

Thank you Greciangirl x

Chewbacca Sun 06-Sep-20 19:29:56

I would imagine that, on her next visit to the dentist, OP will make sure that she sets off in plenty of time to allow for contingencies. That's if her dentist has kept her as a patient after what happened on the last appointment.

donna1964 Sun 06-Sep-20 19:32:07

craftyone

Donna1964, this was entirely your fault and your behaviour was appalling. Your dentist should have charged you for a missed appointment.

What are you going on about?? You do not know about my behaviour...so STOP making assumptions anf judging me!!

MawB2 Sun 06-Sep-20 22:34:35

Why on earth has this flared up again?
OP very unfortunately missed her appointment due to a combination of circumstances, but I understand was seen after all - unless I am mistaken, so where is the drama?
The phones were obviously in use which was why she was put through to the answering service - this happens all the time at our vets and I just have to keep hanging up and redialling again and again.
But being abusive to the staff never got anybody anywhere, did it?

Marydoll Sun 06-Sep-20 22:47:01

As I have previously said, the poor, maligned, probably harrassed receptionist isn't able to give her version of what happened, in order to get a balanced view.

At least you managed to get an appointment, Donna, my dentist is still only dealing with emergencies.

Chewbacca Sun 06-Sep-20 22:50:59

I'm going tomorrow Marydoll sad. It's only 10 minutes away from where I live but I'm going to set off really early so I don't arrive late. because I just love going to the dentist (not)

Callistemon Sun 06-Sep-20 22:52:17

I must phone for my much delayed checkup tomorrow.

This thread reminded me, thank you so much.

donna1964 Sun 20-Sep-20 11:34:45

MawB2

Why on earth has this flared up again?
OP very unfortunately missed her appointment due to a combination of circumstances, but I understand was seen after all - unless I am mistaken, so where is the drama?
The phones were obviously in use which was why she was put through to the answering service - this happens all the time at our vets and I just have to keep hanging up and redialling again and again.
But being abusive to the staff never got anybody anywhere, did it?

A whole lot of assumptians made here MawB2. After explaining myself to the Dentist...the Dentist made a remark in front of his Colleagues and other Patients that he did not think I was telling the truth!!! Very unprofessional of him to make such a comment to a patient in front of others !!! And YOUR comment 'Why one earth has this flared up again' 1. You dont have to read it 2. You dont have to comment either!!

donna1964 Sun 20-Sep-20 11:36:43

Marydoll

As I have previously said, the poor, maligned, probably harrassed receptionist isn't able to give her version of what happened, in order to get a balanced view.

At least you managed to get an appointment, Donna, my dentist is still only dealing with emergencies.

Maybe that is because I have paid Private for my treatment and in full upfront?

Doodledog Sun 20-Sep-20 11:47:47

I don't want to get involved in the ins and outs of the drama, but I'm not sure what paying privately has to do with anything. IMO the principle (either way) is the same whether the dentist is working privately or on the NHS.

Elizabeth1 Sun 20-Sep-20 12:08:27

I used to say to myself Never be late for your dentist appointment Nor your hairdressing appointment they have no sympathy for you their appointments are usually back to backsad

welbeck Sun 20-Sep-20 15:11:10

OP your tone comes across as unnecessarily aggressive.
if this is your default mode, it will not benefit your interactions in RL.

Elizabeth1 Mon 21-Sep-20 13:33:09

My dentist has been in touch again and given me another appointment must be on time though I would be happy to leave home early and sit in the car for a short period of time this is a two way relationship mindful of each other

Elrel Tue 22-Sep-20 00:38:05

OP was seen by the dentist that day, she said so in her second post on 30/8/20.

Summerlove Tue 22-Sep-20 02:17:50

After explaining myself to the Dentist...the Dentist made a remark in front of his Colleagues and other Patients that he did not think I was telling the truth!!! Very unprofessional of him to make such a comment to a patient in front of others !!!

Was this before or after you argued your point to the receptionist and forced the dentist to see you?

donna1964 Fri 02-Oct-20 10:15:13

Welbeck when people like yourself make too many assumptions and judgements...as you have to me present and past it frustrates me! You need to take your blinkers off and live in the real world. You have the attitude that if it does not happen in your world then it is wrong!! By the way...just to update you...I have had a letter of apology off one of the co-owners now that the situation has been investigated and video footage has been looked at and listened too!! So there you go... I thought this was a sight to support other women whether right or wrong the situation is a better approach is more welcome than the approach you give to people. Go look at yourself first before you have anything to say about anyone else!!

donna1964 Fri 02-Oct-20 10:23:42

Summerlove

*After explaining myself to the Dentist...the Dentist made a remark in front of his Colleagues and other Patients that he did not think I was telling the truth!!! Very unprofessional of him to make such a comment to a patient in front of others !!!*

Was this before or after you argued your point to the receptionist and forced the dentist to see you?

Summerlove...no one can force anyone to do anything!! The receptionist 'should' have returned my call and didn't! That has now been established in the investigation..had she have done I would have turned back in my car and headed home! She had plenty of time to do what she should have done whilst I was in a Gridlock situation! The co-owner believed my situation as the same has happened to him and most of his staff. Had the receptionist returned my call the whole situation would not have happened...and I must point out...it is not the first time my call was not returned. I have supplied date & times of my calls and messages that have been listened too and not been acted upon...so again as I have said to wellbeck I received an apology for that too!!