Gransnet forums

AIBU

Parenting - where I went wrong

(148 Posts)
jeanrobinson Thu 03-Sep-20 22:54:29

I often look back at parenting my two children, and wish I could do it over again, knowing what I know now. I would love to rear my second child again. After a difficult caesarean and heavy blood loss, I was not well enough to bond. That she turned out well is to her credit, not mine But there was something I did right with the first. From early on he was clearly mathematical, like his father, so at bedtime after our story, I would talk about what we did during the day, using words for emotions, like "you were cross and upset when your ice lolly fell off the stick before you had finished it". Now middle aged and a father, he thanks me for this, as he is emotionally literate. Alas many men are not.

sodapop Fri 04-Sep-20 08:46:59

Ditto what midgey said MissA you are doing a great job thanks

I've met many of those people grandMattie so annoying, I often feel tempted to tell them my grandchildren are in prison/ fraudulently claiming benefits/ ill treating their dog etc just to see them lost for words. I must admit to falling into the trap at times and boasting about my grandchildren.

So aptly named HolyHannah

Chewbacca Fri 04-Sep-20 08:53:20

If I could go back and do it again, sure I would. I'd do things differently; approach things differently and maybe even have had more children if I'd known how lovely the one I did have was going to turn out. But as he's turned out to be a happy and successful adult, husband, father and son, I'm going to assume that I did something right, some of the time.

Spangler Fri 04-Sep-20 09:04:38

Turn this scenario around, were your parents the perfect parents? My father certainly wasn't, but then his wife, my mother, died aged just 33, leaving him with four children under the age of ten to raise alone.

It was hellish, he struggled, the stress wrecked his health, but for all that he brought us all to adulthood. He wasn't perfect but he was my Dad, and I will not have a word said against him. My Dad, my hero.

The desire for children of my own never happened, and now at an age when the visit of a grandchild would brighten the hearts of most, I have no regrets to being childless. But I often wonder if my childhood has any bearing on that.

Smileless2012 Fri 04-Sep-20 09:13:15

But a he'd turned out to be a happy and successful adult ....... and son, I'm going to assume (we) did something right, some of the time.

Same for us Chewbacca. Estranged from one son but continue to have our other son in our lives. We are imperfect people who became imperfect parents and did our best for our imperfect children.

Spangler flowers the way you talk about your dad is very touching "He wasn't perfect but he was my Dad ......... My Dad, my hero". Lovelysmile.

Starblaze Fri 04-Sep-20 09:24:17

I struggled as a new mum because my home life growing up was abusive and I didn't have a "normal" for comparison. Especially when others idea of "normal" are all different and some of what people still believe is "normal" is actually quite abusive after decades of research and understanding.

I learnt most of what I learnt about being a better parent than my mum (not a perfect parent but better) by just seeing the hurt looks on my own children's faces when I repeated patterns. Some parents (like my mum) would have seen those hurt looks and decided they were fine or deserved and actually been happy at that outcome.

I have a ridiculously huge gap between my first and my last surprise late baby.

Unortunately I am more tired and more busy and working now... Emotionally I am a better parent though and I've made most of the mistakes I was capable of making (hopefully).

I don't think children need or want perfect parents. If a parent never expressed fear, frustration, anger or sadness... How can they teach their child to cope with those emotions?

Parents do need to learn how to cope with those emotions positively to teach that to their children though. That's the difference between expressing anger in a healthy way with words, that finds resolution and punching a hole in a wall or worse a person.

It is not the mistakes that make for bad parenting... Its the ability to be accountable for those mistakes and show you make a real genuine effort not to make them again.

That is a good parent despite all the vast differences in culture and home life and age and physical/mental health we all have.

Starblaze Fri 04-Sep-20 09:29:02

That should have said:

It's not the mistakes that make for bad parenting, it's the inability to be accountable for them...

I remember every mistake I ever made and that list is OK because I have a stroke through every single one of them (I am aware of so far) as resolved.

SilentGames Fri 04-Sep-20 10:05:24

My childhood wasn’t easy with my mum who was quick tempered and fiery. I just hated the shouting as a child and that was one thing I would not do when my children arrived. I wish I had done some things differently and was just too dam tidy! My mother wasn’t and neighbours would talk about her so that rubbed off on me too. I have mellowed and more laid back now but regret not letting them get messy as children. They seemed to have grown up fairly normal and not OCD like I was which is a good thing. I’m yet to meet a parent who got everything right.

Coconut Fri 04-Sep-20 10:09:55

There is no rule book for parenting and parents do not always reap what they sow ! We are all different and our children all react differently, so a lot of parenting is trial and error. I don’t over analyse my mistakes and I know my good bits far out weigh the not so good bits, as all 3 of mine are still very close to me. My 90year old mum constantly criticises others parenting, to a degree that I have to remind her that she was not perfect either.

Flakesdayout Fri 04-Sep-20 10:16:46

I had the conversation with one of my sons about the fact that I went out to work, as a single parent, and left them at home and how bad I felt about it. (They were in their young teens) He said I was not to worry as they enjoyed the independence, the fact that they could prepare their meals (which I had left for them) when they wanted and have on the TV what they wanted and play their computer games. There are times I would love to turn the clock back and not do some of the silly things I did but all has turned out well. Its in my head where the 'guilt' is and not with them.

Callistemon Fri 04-Sep-20 10:21:28

I'm sure I'd do many things differently but they all seem happy with what I did do and have turned out well!

Another one of my mother's sayings comes to mind:
"If I knew then what I know now"
Or "hindsight is a wonderful thing"

NemosMum Fri 04-Sep-20 10:22:07

jeanrobinson you obviously did a good job, even if you felt you had a problem with 'bonding' with No.2! The popular notion of bonding is over-emphasised and has been challenged in more recent research. It is not magic, otherwise how would adoptive parents cope? It's not helped by the midwifery schools and nursery nursing courses hanging onto the notion of post-natal bonding as if it were fairy dust! There is the notion of 'goodness of fit' between the parent and child's personalities, and sometimes a child's innate behavioural style is not so easy for the parent (parent figure) to deal with. However, love goes a long way to iron out the tricky bits. You only need to be a 'good enough' parent, not a perfect one!

maryrose54 Fri 04-Sep-20 10:22:31

I suffered with PND after dd born, so don't feel that I was a particularly loving mother to her or ds, who was born 2 years later. Also suffered from anxiety in varying degrees on and off throughout my life. When I started working as a TA in school, and did training courses in supporting children with emotional problems, I realised that my children had probably missed out on the emotional side of their upbringing, much as I did due to a broken home. When I ask dd and ds now what they remember of childhood, they have good memories, so I can't have done too badly after all. They are kind,caring people, although both suffer with anxiety.Now we have two grandchildren and I try to be with them how I wished I had been with my two when younger. DH has always been very supportive throughout ,I need to add. Not sure that I am trying to make a point, but needed to get this off my chest as I have often felt guilty for not showing enough love to dd and ds when children.

Starblaze Fri 04-Sep-20 10:24:02

I expect a lot of normal people would like to turn back the clock an undo their past mistakes...

The only way to actually do that is to be accountable for them... Which everyone can still do regardless of the outcome of those mistakes and whether or not being accountable changes the present situation.

If my mum could be accountable, we wouldn't be estranged. No accountability means no personal growth. We can only be accountable for ourselves, not force others to be.

We can teach accountability though, especially to children.

vampirequeen Fri 04-Sep-20 10:26:06

I protected my children from learning that their dad was an absolute t*at. These days they believe the sun still shines out of his posterior and I broke up a good marriage. The truth was the opposite. Do I regret it? Sometimes when I'm feeling hard done by but then I think no. It wasn't their fault and why should children be burdened with the knowledge about their parents. It's too late to tell them now. It would seem like sour grapes and he did a brilliant hatchet job on me when I escaped.

We can't change the past. Looking back with the hindsight of experience often makes us doubt ourselves but we have to remember that we did our best at the time and no one is perfect.

icanhandthemback Fri 04-Sep-20 10:28:09

Starblaze, I understand where you are coming from. My early childhood was traumatic with chaotic, often violent, relationships, explosive discipline and an absent father so boarding school at 7 was a complete relief. However, when I reached adulthood, I was completely without the skills to make good decisions about my own relationships and repeated the cycle although I didn't hit my child and tried to be a better parent. I was terribly stressed and unhappy throughout my first pregnancy which makes me thinks my eldest child was impacted before she even entered the world.
Just before my second child was born, I became a single parent when he was very young I met my current husband who was a more stable person with a wonderful upbringing so I learned a lot from him. By the time we had our own child, I had become a much gentler, parent who recognised that children needed to be able to negotiate and be heard. However, I'm still not perfect and don't suppose I ever will be.

Hawera1 Fri 04-Sep-20 10:28:50

I believe we were fantastic parents. Our eldest tried to tell.me I was the worst.mother in the world when his partner took a recent dislike to us and cut off access to our only grandchild just to.be spiteful. Thankfully after counselling I see very clearly that we did nothing wrong as parents and he was just under pressure and looking for someone to blame. Sadly though.that's done a lot of damage in how I feel about him.now. I certainly wouldn't let him.look after my affairs now. So I think even good parents get painted as not so good sometimes. At the end of the day we can only do.the best we can. All humans are flawed in some way.

kittypaws49 Fri 04-Sep-20 10:32:06

This post really struck a chord. My children turned out great character-wise. But both have mental issues, which are in their DNA, but still I've beaten myself up, wondering what I did wrong. At least I do that, my husband is not given to self-doubts. The problem is that our son has a very bad relationship with his father, and is now saying that he has trauma because his father wasn't around much ( due to work) when he was in his teens. The other problem is that I completely agree with my son, but I don't feel that I should criticise my husband to my son. Our marriage hasn't been that wonderful, but I stuck it out for the good parts.
If I could go back I think I would have done everything differently. They say a woman should always chose a man who will be a good father, first and foremost, and I do agree.

MadeInYorkshire Fri 04-Sep-20 10:35:21

Oh goodness, I have ended up with a normal balanced adult who is a lovely mum to my little DGD’s but my eldest has severe MH issues which are at the moment impacting on us all. She literally came out screaming and has never stopped despite being close to 30! I am certain now that the stress I had during my pregnancy has had this devastating effect on her. It’s truly awful for her and the rest of us sadly .... I am not sure if I could have done things much differently as the circumstances at the time were pretty horrible for all of us .... hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Starblaze Fri 04-Sep-20 10:36:45

icanhandthemback things happen that are beyond our control but accountability is always a factor anyway as you have just demonstrated.

I could easily blame my upbringing... I don't because it's my place to be my best regardless. Would I have made some mistakes if they weren't learnt? No... Am I responsible for them anyway? Yes...

Being a parent is one of the hardest jobs out there and we all don't have a natural inclination to be good at it but even the best artist born with natural skill has to practise and strive to reach their full potential.

A painting can be beautiful with many mistakes because the artist didn't give up and finished it to the best of their ability.

Its always that effort and that strive that is loved and appreciated

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 04-Sep-20 10:47:04

Well, I must have done something right with my DDs, they have turned out great. As children they were messy and argumentative. I remember a neighbour telling me my girls were so well mannered - I asked if she had the right children, yes, she said. Then I thought t least they know how to behave with other people!

Smileless2012 Fri 04-Sep-20 10:47:51

An awful and all too similar experience for many EP's Haweral it's good to know that your counselling affirmed that you weren't and are not to blamesmile.

BusterTank Fri 04-Sep-20 10:53:58

Parenting doesn't come with a hand book and I bet we all wished we had done something different . Perhaps that's why we are given a second chance with grandchildren . We can only say to our children that we thought we were doing our best at that time .

Juicylucy Fri 04-Sep-20 10:54:33

When I see how my 2 dds parent my grandchildren it is very different. The basic care is the same but every thing else is different. I was forever ever getting told it’s not done like that anymore mum. So if I compare my parenting to today’s parents I did fail at things, and yes would like to go again .

Amry64 Fri 04-Sep-20 10:56:37

This has made me feel so sad as I also wish I could go back and do it again. Recently my eldest son, now in his 40's, said "well, Mum, you were never there." it came as a shock as I had tried my best to do everything right. But when I thought about it, his view of our life was true - DH and I developed a system at weekends and holidays where he would take the 3 boys out - walking, to museums, cinema, picnics etc. while I stayed at home and did the washing, housework, decorating, cleaning. If I could do it again I would be out there with them, forget the housework!!! A lesson leaned too late.

Chewbacca Fri 04-Sep-20 11:03:53

However, I'm still not perfect and don't suppose I ever will be.

No such thing as a perfect parent any more than there is such a thing as a perfect human being. To err is human and as long as we're raised decent, healthy and happy children, we've done the best we can. No child ever came with an instruction manual and we all did the best we could in the circumstances we were in at the time, with the tools that we had available.