Gransnet forums

AIBU

Mess how much can you tolerate?

(91 Posts)
Sallywally1 Tue 08-Sep-20 12:24:05

I think I am somewhere in the middle, I don’t like mess and clutter, but am sometimes too lazy to clear it up. I also work three days a week. Today I have hoovered, cleaned bathroom and did a bit of light polishing. This afternoon I am off out, enough is enough! I also do all the shopping and most of the cooking. OH is retired and is better than I am at clearing up. (My job makes me feel exhausted even the three days I do now).

My late MIL was a ferocious housekeeper and her house was like a showroom. On the other end of the spectrum I know someone who was evicted because the dirt and mess in the house had got out of control it was horrible.

How do others feel about mess vs pristine?

Daftbag1 Thu 10-Sep-20 09:05:42

When the children were at home, clearing up took over my life, and the waft of bleach followed me everywhere. After they left home the house was relatively easy to keep clean and tidy, then I became ill. My husband is messy, and I've joined him. I do try to keep on top of it, but if I'm honest it's grubby and as my husband doesn't see it, I don't / can't really keep it the way I want to.

I wish someone would come and wave a wand and leave me with a timetable to follow to keep on top of it all, I don't seem to be able to, but it costs money, money that we don't have.

cupaffull Thu 10-Sep-20 10:47:38

FindingNemo15

We have quite a minimalistic home, but I think that creates more work as things seem to quickly become clutter and have to be put away. My cupboards are another story. As they say out of sight out of mind!

confused I do wonder where people put "things" in a minimalist home... I mean where do the TV remotes go?

I'm not a slave to cleaning or tidying but given we have longhair cats the vacuum is regularly employed.

I do however like to know where everything is so my cupboards are tidy, as is the fridge.
I wonder what that says about me...messy on the outside and neat within?
Can never have enough storage as my Tupperware drawer will testify.

catladyuk Thu 10-Sep-20 15:17:46

Any more hoarders reading this??

Namsnanny Thu 10-Sep-20 17:04:21

Living with one catladyuk smile
Why do you want one? I can share!

lemongrove Thu 10-Sep-20 17:12:43

overthehill

I'd be overstating it if I said my house is pristine, but I do like clean and tidy. I maintain there is no one who would choose to live in a mess over living in clean tidy surrounding. You will get people who say 'life's too short to do cleaning' but what they are really saying is they are too lazy.

Haha, yes, I agree with you.
The house has to be clean in every room, but a bit of untidiness is tolerable, and I do have quite a few books, sometimes in piles on the coffee table, the bedside table, the conservatory ......blush

wetflannel Thu 10-Sep-20 22:06:34

I clean kitchen and bathroom daily, I also vacuum daily as I have a dog. I feel more at ease if the house is clean and tidy, it helps my anxiety knowing everywhere is clean and tidy.Wish I could ease off a bit.

catladyuk Sun 13-Sep-20 12:19:04

Thanks but no thanks Namsnanny, two in this house is quite enough!

FindingNemo15 Sun 13-Sep-20 12:36:32

Cupaffull - the remotes are next to the TV lined up neatly. Minimalist to me means hardly any ornaments, no photos, pot plants or papers hanging around. Cushions tidied at the end of the day. We tend to live in the kitchen where there is only a kettle, Alexa and kettle on show. I am sure people think I am boring!

annep1 Tue 22-Sep-20 19:25:05

Findingnemo I wouldn't call it boring but is it not a nuisance not having things to hand? My toaster, coffee grinder, tea and coffee containers, herbs and spices coffee machine etc are all on the worktop within reach.

SpringyChicken Tue 22-Sep-20 22:30:40

I can tolerate clutter if it's temporary but not things left out for months on end. We have enough storage for everything so it all gets put away at some point and the rooms look so much better for being tidy. Husband would leave stuff dumped about indefinitely if left to his own devices so I warn him when I'm in tidying mode. He actually prefers the house to be tidy but it's always me who initiates the tidying.

Shropshirelass Wed 30-Sep-20 09:06:09

I have just cleared my lofts before I get to old to scramble around up there. Bags of children's toys, boxes of memorabilia. Some skipped, some kept to be sorted through more carefully. Three piles, friend, acquaintance, enemy. Friends are kept, acquaintances go to the charity shop (if taking things), enemy thrown away. Now for the rest of the cupboards! I like things to be clean and tidy, so does my husband but he does have a degree of OCD! Bathrooms and kitchens clean, we have dogs so carpets hoovered and cleaned regularly. I get things sorted eventually. I have also just had to clear my parents house and I am in the process of clearing my uncle's house, clutter everywhere. I feel better for having cleared the lifts, tidy house, tidy mind.

Shropshirelass Wed 30-Sep-20 09:07:03

Lofts, not lifts!

MrsRochester Wed 30-Sep-20 09:15:02

Less bothered as I get older. As long as the kitchen and bathrooms are hygienic, there are more important/enjoyable things to do with the time.
Don’t iron any more either - used to iron the kids’ undies grin

FannyCornforth Wed 30-Sep-20 09:23:55

Charleygirl5

My mother was so houseproud we lived in the kitchen. We had a large, airy lounge in my parent's last house but I was never allowed to sit in it and eg read a book.

I like a clean house but I do have a lot of clutter.

Charleygirl5, my mother was exactly the same.
You couldn't put a book or a cup on the coffee table. It was exhausting.
She was absolutely lovely, but such a control freak.
And like you, I've just got too much stuff.
Too many books, too many clothes, too much art stuff, too many shoes.
It doesnt help that the house is small.

GrannySomerset Wed 30-Sep-20 10:35:30

I am tidy, DH is not so we live in a kind of compromise with regular blitzes. I can’t cope with chaos but find over-tidy houses sterile and even hostile. We all have our own comfort zone I suppose.