Gransnet forums

AIBU

Government announcement

(200 Posts)
Esspee Tue 08-Sep-20 22:16:42

Ten thirty p.m. is a peculiar time for an important announcement.
AIBU to ask you to predict the reason?

Riggie Wed 09-Sep-20 10:00:39

Exactly *dianne2265" and actually it didnt seem to be young people in the supermarket/shop situation here either but middle aged and older.

Nezumi65 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:03:29

Gatherings to be restricted to 6 people it seems - but from Monday - why not before the weekend? Why not now

Because there’s a big horse race this weekend and Dido is a member if the jockey club. Same reason Cheltenham went ahead.

nahsma Wed 09-Sep-20 10:06:12

Riverwalk

Shameless news management announcing it late at night - it's ensured the breaking of international law and resignation of a senior civil servant is knocked-off the front pages and not the first subject on the news.

Riverwalk: Exactly my thought, it is yet another dead cat being thrown on the table to distract us. And of course as the R factor goes relentlessly upwards, it offers Mr Johnson the added bonus of being able to blame us, rather than his Government's shambolic mis-management.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:06:27

Nezumi65

*Gatherings to be restricted to 6 people it seems - but from Monday - why not before the weekend? Why not now*

Because there’s a big horse race this weekend and Dido is a member if the jockey club. Same reason Cheltenham went ahead.

If that is true!!!???

Will no one rid (us) of this turbulent government??

Nannan2 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:07:35

Was this last night?cause if so i never realised it was on! Fat lot of good it is if people dont know when its going to be announced.

Nezumi65 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:07:48

Yes it’s true www.racingpost.com/news/st-leger-day-proving-popular-as-doncaster-gears-up-for-return-of-crowds/449476

jaylucy Wed 09-Sep-20 10:08:56

It was bound to happen but as always, the timing is a bit weird to say the least!
I believe that the new restrictions to be imposed will actually be law so that prosecutions can take place, including the police being able to take action .
This is at least 6 weeks too late! Don't the police have enough to do already? As well as crime fighting they are increasingly expected to deal with people with mental health problems that many of the force are not trained or qualified to deal with and now they are to be expected to deal with complete twonks that think they know better than anyone else!
£100 fine? Not enough! x10 to make people take a bit more notice than just a tap on the wrist!

Caragran Wed 09-Sep-20 10:09:14

It won't make any difference at all. The idiots will still do just as they please. The laws are not for them

Aepgirl Wed 09-Sep-20 10:10:20

I’m with you maddyone. I don’t understand why people put their own interpretation on rules that are set to save lives. What better reason could there be. But of course there have been raves, marches, demonstrations, etc, putting all our lives at risk.

Nezumi65 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:12:05

In case anyone wants a ticket to the horse racing this weekend www.doncaster-racecourse.co.uk/racing-highlights/st-leger-festival/ (honestly there are not enough hmm )

So that explains why it is from Monday.

I suspect it was announced yesterday to keep the government breaking the law off the front pages.

Mollygo Wed 09-Sep-20 10:13:26

There are several posts I agree with on here and I’m off to read the link from mumof2boys but perhaps the lateness was to catch those folk who’ve been out at the pub all evening.
It doesn’t actually matter, because those who’ve followed the guidance will be unaffected by it being made law, those who ignored the guidance will continue to do so and whinge when they’re fined or complain that others weren’t fined so the police aren’t doing their jobs properly, which will bring a flood of comments about underfunding etc etc.
A friend who has moaned constantly about the guidelines not being followed by all those who wanted to come to the New Forest, has just left to tour France because she said, “I don’t need BJ to tell me what I can and can’t do. I’m capable of making up my own mind about what’s safe.”

Furret Wed 09-Sep-20 10:14:43

That Dido person who is busy demolishing our world beating’ track and trace, sits in the board of the Jockey Club and, correct me if I’m wrong, isn’t Matt Hancock MP for Newmarket?

grammargran Wed 09-Sep-20 10:15:02

I’m with Riverwalk and Nahsma, nothing more than distraction tactics from their absolutely disgraceful intention to break international law. I just hope Keir Starmer’s on form for Prime Minister’s Questions today and tears that apology for a Prime Minister to shreds. I have never been so angry, and my head’s sore from banging it on the table.

Nannan2 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:15:09

Its NOT being kept simple! Theres now so many different rules for 4 different parts of a place thats SUPPOSED to be a UNITED kingdom, its unfathomable!- one lot of SAME rules for England, Wales, N.I, AND Scotland is what i say! Why should they all be allowed to make up their own different versions of the rules? UK is a UK, NOT 4 different kingdoms!

polnan Wed 09-Sep-20 10:15:10

I agree with Whitewater 2
They take us for fools.

Although let’s face it...........

just look at Doncaster, "learn?" soon forgot Cheltenham

so many (shaking head) and they forget that we pay their wages and expenses.

Kate1949 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:15:49

Re the pubs. The pubs in our area have been restricting numbers to 6 since they reopened. In our local they have been very strict. Our family usually go for a meal in December, 11 if us. We just enquired at a restaurant out of interest and it was a definite no. They said no more than 6 and they must be from no more than 2 households.

Mummahen Wed 09-Sep-20 10:17:25

The rise in cases was SO predictable that I am just frustrated with it even being a news headline; of course cases are rising because the rules have allowed people to delude themselves that the danger has passed. Four school bubbles and a nursery closed in my previously low Covid area in less than a week of all children going back. How is it ok for adults to stay at home to avoid getting ill, but sending kids out into the line of fire firstly and then then bringing the infection back home eventually? It’s all nuts and I wished I lived in New Zealand

Annaram1 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:18:43

I am fed up with people blaming the Government for everything. We all know the basic rules but if we don't follow them it is the Government that is to blame. If we get another Government next time around every wrong thing we do will be the fault of the new Government. As for Cummings, that was ages ago now but people still use him as an excuse...

Mummahen Wed 09-Sep-20 10:24:15

When she was CEO of TalkTalk the whole system was hacked and there were weekly breakdowns of the network. It is very sad that the job wasn’t given to one of the many brilliant IT people we have in this country. Smacks of nepotism once more.

Granartisan Wed 09-Sep-20 10:24:57

Can't we all stop criticizing and just do our bit to conquer this virus? None of us really know the answers, not even the government. Whether Boris is in charge or Keir Starmer or Joe Bloggs, mistakes will be made. We are all in the same team v the virus so let's stop whinging and fight it together.

Joesoap Wed 09-Sep-20 10:27:12

These restrictions should never have been lifted,the paricular group it is aiming at will not take any notice anyway, these immortals between 20 and 40 dont think it will hit them, but watch out!
Everyone must comply or we will never get out of this mess.

freyja Wed 09-Sep-20 10:29:38

I may be suspicious but it was announced at the same time as the Brexit announcement that the PM is going to go back on the divorce agreement that he prompted, got elected on and all MPs signed. Now Bojo is prompting that it is okay for this country to break International Law.
No wonder he needed a distraction. While we are all wringing our hands about the possibility of another lock down and blaming it on our young people Bojo is quietly taking us out of the EU without a deal at the same time as breaking International Law.
At usual Bojo's actions has consequences . He does not care or is even aware that any credibility or trust we have left globally will be gone along with it any International trade deals. Sadly this country will be isolated and alone and we are sleep walking into it. A very sad day.

25Avalon Wed 09-Sep-20 10:29:52

They failed to stop protests, illegal raves, and overcrowding on the beaches. All the people who flouted the rules then will probably continue to do so. Bars and pubs often don’t follow the regulations. Grassroots football which is now permitted to have spectators has had conflicting guidance from the FA with each club having to make its own action plan by unpaid volunteers. Yet The Premier League hasn’t let fans and can afford daily tests for its players.
There are too many things that don’t make sense. I have to wear a face mask in a shop, where it is being enforced, but the sales assistant doesn’t.
Youngsters are often ignoring the rules. They probably don’t think they will live beyond 30 anyway.
Looks like Dh and I will be self isolating for a lot lot longer.

PipandFinn Wed 09-Sep-20 10:30:05

Absolutely agree with Annaram1. It's always the Government's fault for every stupid thing that all the idiot's do. Nobody accepts responsibility anymore. It isn't difficult to understand what we all need to do to keep ourselves and others safe but the constant whining about the 'rules' are how crap the Government is, is starting to really irritate...

WoodLane7 Wed 09-Sep-20 10:30:32

Interesting. Boris is urging people back to the office due to impact on high street businesses of near on empty towns and cities and loss of commuter trade.
Presumably pubs and leisure facilities will now all close again. If social gatherings can’t be more than 6 I don’t see how people can be expected to return to crowded offices. so towns and cities will remain deserted I don’t think we will have anything of a hospitality industry after this as many places simply won’t be viable any longer and a lot of high street outlets I suspect will also go for good. You do wonder what will be left a few years down the line (I was going to say at the end of it all but I don’t think there will Be any end for many many years to come)