Gransnet forums

AIBU

Government announcement

(199 Posts)
Esspee Tue 08-Sep-20 22:16:42

Ten thirty p.m. is a peculiar time for an important announcement.
AIBU to ask you to predict the reason?

nanaK54 Tue 08-Sep-20 22:20:21

I guarantee it won't be good news

ElaineI Tue 08-Sep-20 22:24:35

People have themselves to blame. Lots of people young and old are now not taking things seriously!

Esspee Tue 08-Sep-20 22:30:37

My bet is on closing down the pubs - announcement timed to be made after closing time.

MawB2 Tue 08-Sep-20 22:33:29

Gatherings to be restricted to 6 people it seems - but from Monday - why not before the weekend? Why not now?

Katek Tue 08-Sep-20 22:36:37

Social gatherings in England of more than 6 people (both indoors and out) will not be permitted after 14/9. Breaches punishable by £100 fine. Full details/exemptions to be published tomorrow

Callistemon Tue 08-Sep-20 22:46:33

It's 10.45 pm - what was it?

LauraNorder Tue 08-Sep-20 22:47:33

Why can't we just keep it simple.
Wash hands, don't touch face, keep distance wherever possible.
Go to work, go to school, go for essential shopping while obeying all the precautionary advice.
Rest of the time go home, stay home.
A few exceptions for people who live alone to form a bubble with one other.
Government to subsidise hospitality industry throughout winter months. Cheaper to do this and get everyone else back to work.

maddyone Tue 08-Sep-20 23:42:17

I actually think the law and the guidelines are quite simple already. It’s because people don’t follow the rules/guidance that this has been announced. Previously as I understood it, it was only illegal to form a gathering of over thirty people, but the guidelines recommended only six people could gather together. This is now bringing the law into it, it will be illegal from Monday to gather together in groups of more than six.

sparklingsilver28 Wed 09-Sep-20 00:06:51

And what difference will it make to those idiots who already think it an hilarious joke. Since easing, my small village full of tourists escaping city life with scant regard for what they bring with them.

paddyanne Wed 09-Sep-20 00:25:22

its been 8 people from 3 households here in Scotland ,hasn't stopped folk having parties.The younger generations think it doesn't affect them .Sadly it does,my friend lost her 34 year old son in April to it,no underlying conditions .

vegansrock Wed 09-Sep-20 07:10:27

So much bluster from the government. The regulations about social distancing, masks etc have been shown since the Cummings debacle to be optional. Those who don’t care will continue to not care and do what they like. It’s just a move to shift the blame, and ignore the shambolic test n trace so called operation.

Lucca Wed 09-Sep-20 07:14:36

So what ? Is my reaction. Nothing gets enforced anyway.

Riverwalk Wed 09-Sep-20 07:33:35

Shameless news management announcing it late at night - it's ensured the breaking of international law and resignation of a senior civil servant is knocked-off the front pages and not the first subject on the news.

Lollin Wed 09-Sep-20 07:42:58

Exactly Lucca
As has been said, those who care are continuing to take this seriously and doing as guided as an absolute minimum . Those who need to be told won't bother to change.

The media/government should stop blaming particular groups. Admit blame for not governing their own members and admit being weak leaders

Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Sep-20 07:49:01

They take us for fools.

Although let’s face it...........

Furret Wed 09-Sep-20 08:06:32

Riverwalk

Shameless news management announcing it late at night - it's ensured the breaking of international law and resignation of a senior civil servant is knocked-off the front pages and not the first subject on the news.

Exactly. I’m sick of this lot. Over four more years of them.....

Furret Wed 09-Sep-20 08:07:06

Whitewavemark2

They take us for fools.

Although let’s face it...........

Yes.....those who voted them in.

Ellianne Wed 09-Sep-20 08:48:48

I'm not surprised. It was surely coming.
I wish pubs had never opened, I wish gatherings had not been allowed, I wish all holidays abroad had been banned etc. etc.
But we have a generation here who would have revolted because they feel they are so entitled. Very few under 35s are going to do as they are told, that doesn't exist any more and the government knows it.
It is what it is, I shall continue to be careful, but I'm not sure I could do Chritsmas without our family together.

Lucca Wed 09-Sep-20 09:10:38

I just spoke to my son in Sydney. There are idiots there too without masks but what is good is their track and trace works really well, and it is enforced so if you go into a cafe or whatever you have to register.

Luckygirl Wed 09-Sep-20 09:19:58

I have not studied all this - just clocked the number six. Can people still go to pubs and restaurants? - they cannot keep numbers down to six surely? Or are they simply required to take precautions?

trisher Wed 09-Sep-20 09:20:38

There is one cafe near me that is taking people's details, none of the others seem to bother. It was a strange time to make an announcement. Agree about hiding the resignation and breech of International law.

dianne2265 Wed 09-Sep-20 09:55:19

It is easy to blame the pubs etc but I work in a supermarket and people seem to have forgotten coronavirus exists. In the queues they do not social distance and I seem to spend half my time asking people to move back from the person in front

mumof2boys Wed 09-Sep-20 09:57:58

Esspee

Ten thirty p.m. is a peculiar time for an important announcement.
AIBU to ask you to predict the reason?

because they also announced this

www.gov.uk/government/news/bill-introduced-to-protect-jobs-and-trade-across-the-whole-of-the-united-kingdom

at 10.30

the bill where they break international law! hmm

Callistemon Wed 09-Sep-20 09:59:45

We've only eaten out a couple of times and each time have had our details taken for track and trace. Speaking to others, it is the norm here, not just in Wales either.
We were shown to our allocated table after giving names, contact details and asked to sanitise our hands.