Gransnet forums

AIBU

Bel Mooney

(193 Posts)
ExD Tue 15-Sep-20 11:15:07

I always considered this lady to be sensible and level headed.
But I found this article from Saturday's Daily Mail to be selfish and petulant and I'm surprised that such sentiments should be published.
Does she really want to kill her granny?
Is she really urging others to emulate this behaviour@

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8724161/BEL-MOONEY-No-no-no-Im-having-Christmas-14-no-puffed-Covid-marshal-stop-me.html

You can say it serves me right for reading such a rag - but I'm appalled all the same!

trisher Tue 15-Sep-20 18:08:13

suziewoozie but no-one is saying Mask-up all the time. No one is enforcing mask-up in shops. No one is enforcing sanitise or wear gloves. My friend has just come back from Portugal, everyone there is wearing a mask when they are outside, everyone in retaurants wears a mask until they are seated. Sanitiser is provided and must be used when going into a shop, if you have skin problems they provide plasic gloves to go in and a bin for them when you leave. Here it's not only sketchy it's sometimes completely ignored. It should be the primary message not a random number.

Lucca Tue 15-Sep-20 18:13:24

Poppyred

There’s me told then Lucca. I bow to your superior knowledge...about everything discussed on here and go back to the fringes where I obviously belong for darling to disagree. Shame on me!

Impressive flouncing. But you didn’t answer my question ? As you admire bel Mooney will you also be flouting rules ?

Lucca Tue 15-Sep-20 18:16:06

Trisher I agree about the pathetic lack of enforcement of mask wearing but surely a journalist blatantly saying she’s going to ignore rules is bad too ?

trisher Tue 15-Sep-20 18:32:35

But why is the rule there Lucca? I think actually it is an attempt by the government to control the only section of the public it thinks it still has some control over. They've given up on the teens and early 20s (who will continue to party). They thought the middle aged, middle class would be easier to manage, so there''s the threat "Don't kill Gran by inviting more than 6." But if Bel Mooney is typical it looks like they've no control there either.

Illte Tue 15-Sep-20 18:43:14

How awful that some people are using this virus for their own political ends with no care for those who become ill, perhaps die. And even less care for those who risk their life and health to nurse them.

suziewoozie Tue 15-Sep-20 18:47:25

Nothing is bring enforced sadly luckily where I live, the majority of people are not entitled gits

maddyone Tue 15-Sep-20 18:53:14

I think you’re absolutely right Trisher in your post of 16.59.

trisher Tue 15-Sep-20 18:53:20

Illte I don't know if that is aimed at me or Bel Mooney but saying someone doesn't care just because they recognise the absolute cock up the government is making is so wrong. Of course we care, in fact we care enough to speak out and demand something better.
suziewoozie I wish I could say the same but sadly all sorts of people of all ages were out today around here and didn't seem bothered about how close they were.

maddyone Tue 15-Sep-20 18:53:42

Sorry 16.57

suziewoozie Tue 15-Sep-20 18:57:46

All BM is doing is making a bad situation worse - she’s being arrogant, entitled and irresponsible

maddyone Tue 15-Sep-20 18:57:47

Trisher
I also agree with your post at 17.36 today.

maddyone Tue 15-Sep-20 18:58:27

But BM should absolutely not be encouraging people to flout the law.

Lucca Tue 15-Sep-20 18:59:36

Trisher you may have a point! But I still think we should abide by the rules even though we think this government has made a right pigs breakfast of dealing with the pandemic. It won’t help that now there will be a whole bunch of daily mail readers deciding to do their own thing because Bel Mooney said she was going to !

suziewoozie Tue 15-Sep-20 19:01:03

I’m disappointed trisher seeing you support BM - she’s abusing her position

maddyone Tue 15-Sep-20 19:06:07

There are far too many people who don’t wear masks, and now scientists say that masks do protect the wearer as well as others. People go in and out of shops without using hand sanitiser, and at least one shop I know of has NO sanitiser out for shoppers. I refuse to shop in there. And social distancing is non existent with many people. It’s really not difficult to follow these guidelines. If we all followed them the virus wouldn’t spread so easily. I also think that waiters and shop assistants should be wearing masks, and they don’t. It’s poor form.

trisher Tue 15-Sep-20 19:06:29

Thanks maddyone
suziewoozie if you can explain to me why it is OK for 3 people from one household, two from another and one from a third to meet up but not OK for 5 people from one household and 3 from another to meet upI would appreciate it.

maddyone Tue 15-Sep-20 19:07:14

I don’t support BM but I do think Trisher has made some very valid points.

maddyone Tue 15-Sep-20 19:16:23

It is a problem. My daughter and her husband have thre children. This means we will be unable to be with them at all on Christmas Day, or indeed any day between now and then, because we will be seven. My daughter is a doctor, so is her husband. They have found the Covid19 period very, very stressful for a number of reasons that I have mentioned on other threads. My daughter likes to spend Christmas with her family. This is now impossible. This is the point Trisher is making I think, that we already see all the members of my daughter’s family at different times, and so what difference if we see them all together on that one day?

Callistemon Tue 15-Sep-20 19:17:47

trisher

Thanks maddyone
suziewoozie if you can explain to me why it is OK for 3 people from one household, two from another and one from a third to meet up but not OK for 5 people from one household and 3 from another to meet upI would appreciate it.

Or why children under 11 in Wales don't count but those who could be living in the same street but in England do, especially as they would probably be attending the same school.

Doodledog Tue 15-Sep-20 19:19:17

maddyone

I don’t support BM but I do think Trisher has made some very valid points.

So do I. I am law abiding by nature and upbringing, but do want to feel that the laws by which I abide are sensible and that I understand the need for them (or if I don’t understand that the person making the laws understands the reasons for them).

In this case, I really don’t. We are led by donkeys. Self- interested, incompetent, dangerous donkeys. At what point do we say that enough is enough?

Illte Tue 15-Sep-20 19:21:19

trisherif you or Bel Mooney or anyone deliberately takes action which is known to spread the virus, you don't care.

Whatever you might say. Actions speak louder than words.

maddyone Tue 15-Sep-20 19:41:51

Why would anyone assume Trisher is going to deliberately engage in actions that will spread the virus? That’s making a massive leap from what she has said.

janeainsworth Tue 15-Sep-20 19:50:31

It is never as simple as one gathering
Trisher It can be. Google ‘superspreader events’ if you’re interested.

suziewoozie Tue 15-Sep-20 19:56:36

I’m not defending the numbers (but I would the principle) but I am criticising for the nth time a spoilt entitled selfish stupid columnist who is boasting about her plans to break the law - she had the option to criticise the policy [ along with evidence of. course ) but no she had to had to do a look at me I’m going to break the law. How do you defend that?

Illte Tue 15-Sep-20 20:07:50

I haven't made that leap "maddyone*. Trisher asked if my previous post was directed at her.

It was directed at anyone (I said anyone) who deliberately takes action that they know will spread the virus.