Gransnet forums

AIBU

Bel Mooney

(193 Posts)
ExD Tue 15-Sep-20 11:15:07

I always considered this lady to be sensible and level headed.
But I found this article from Saturday's Daily Mail to be selfish and petulant and I'm surprised that such sentiments should be published.
Does she really want to kill her granny?
Is she really urging others to emulate this behaviour@

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8724161/BEL-MOONEY-No-no-no-Im-having-Christmas-14-no-puffed-Covid-marshal-stop-me.html

You can say it serves me right for reading such a rag - but I'm appalled all the same!

Urmstongran Tue 15-Sep-20 20:38:11

Wasn’t she married to David Dimbleby?

Kate1949 Tue 15-Sep-20 20:43:00

I believe it was Richard Dimbleby Urmston

suziewoozie Tue 15-Sep-20 20:43:22

What’s that got to do with anything Urm? We’re having a serious discussion here, not gossiping

Kate1949 Tue 15-Sep-20 20:45:37

Sorry I meant Johnathon Dimbleby.

Urmstongran Tue 15-Sep-20 20:46:38

Ah sw stop it with the po-face. I can post if I like ... and I even got a response so there!

M0nica Tue 15-Sep-20 20:47:00

I think she was probably reflecting the feeling of upset most of us felt when it hit us this could mean reorganising Christmas, having to change the family traditions of decades, but I think most people once they had given themselves a few minutes to think about it, accepted that if it lasted that long, it would be because it was necessary and calmed down and started replanning the festive season, with the Rule of 6 in mind.

Belle Mooney may well herself had a rethink. I must say I felt a bit like her at first, but not for long.

suziewoozie Tue 15-Sep-20 20:50:46

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Urmstongran Tue 15-Sep-20 20:52:45

Your just sore about the vote last night sw but you’ll get over it. Hence why you’re passing such mean comments to me.

MayBee70 Tue 15-Sep-20 21:13:30

Is anyone else getting a pop up asking them if they agree with the rules of six’?

Urmstongran Tue 15-Sep-20 21:23:44

Me!

Lucca Tue 15-Sep-20 21:25:33

MayBee70

Is anyone else getting a pop up asking them if they agree with the rules of six’?

Yes. It stayed for ages.

Oopsminty Tue 15-Sep-20 21:32:06

I keep getting that pop up

And I had no idea that Bel was married to a Dimbleby

Urmstongran Tue 15-Sep-20 21:41:55

There you go! Your comment has just made my day Oopsminty
?

suziewoozie Tue 15-Sep-20 21:42:04

Urmstongran

Your just sore about the vote last night sw but you’ll get over it. Hence why you’re passing such mean comments to me.

Keep going Urm you’re really on top form. Very impressive . Well done.

Urmstongran Tue 15-Sep-20 21:43:28

Why so bitter tonight sw? It’s nicer to be kind.
?

suziewoozie Tue 15-Sep-20 21:46:19

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Urmstongran Tue 15-Sep-20 22:22:45

I refuse to join you in your silly spat. And I forgive your rudeness. I bet you wouldn’t speak to me in this manner in real life.

Keyboard warriors eh?

What ever happened to politeness? It’s not difficult - and if you try it you might like it (and feel better about yourself sw).

Callistemon Tue 15-Sep-20 22:31:59

Lucca

MayBee70

Yes. It stayed for ages.

Yes, very annoying, it kept blocking other things I wanted to read.

MayBee70 Tue 15-Sep-20 23:45:02

I really am fed up of that pop up now. I assume gransnet know about it because it’s the same colour as their logo. There is no way that I’m going to click onto it and answer the question.

Oopsminty Tue 15-Sep-20 23:51:54

Urmstongran

There you go! Your comment has just made my day Oopsminty
?

Pleased to hear it! smile

Sparkling Wed 16-Sep-20 06:42:10

I do read Bel Mooney and often wondered if the children that marry into her family just lose contact with their own family. It's a bit like the Archers, they leave their families behind once entering Ambridge apart from a couple of very brief pop ups.

Spangler Wed 16-Sep-20 07:58:31

Bel Mooney uses a description that some forum members object to, as in: bully.

Lucca Tue 15-Sep-20 12:13:30
Thoroughly irresponsible. Also why are the Covid marshals automatically dubbed “bully”? This presumably from a DM columnist who would support our “wonderful Police” on all occasions.

But when a forum member uses a description like gutter press, nobody objects.

janeainsworth Tue 15-Sep-20 12:06:10
Iam I think it’s more than a non-campaign, I think it’s actively encouraging people to flout the guidance. I don’t like the idea of the marshals, or the suggestion that we should inform on our neighbours, but these are unprecedented times and we can’t just think of ourselves and our immediate families. Perhaps it’s unrealistic to expect responsible journalism from our gutter press though.

Double standards, or what?

Lucca Wed 16-Sep-20 08:21:23

Why am I being brought into this ? It was a genuine question about the writing of the article and an assumption made that Covid marshals would be bullies.

The other poster mentioned gutter press, that is her opinion.

What did you think of the article more importantly?

Iam64 Wed 16-Sep-20 08:40:40

To return to the rule of six, like most others, if this remains, Christmas as well as other family gatherings will be very different. The evidence seems to suggest that gatherings of family and close friends are places where social distancing is unlikely to be maintained. It follows that if one person has symptom free virus, the virus is likely to spread in that group. People from the group go shopping, touch surfaces, virus spreads. It isn't complicated. I don't like the idea of never having my adult children and grandchildren together for many months. WE followed the advice for four long months and we are following the current rules.
We are in area with a high level of infection. We would be wrong and irresponsible to flout the government advice. None of us vote for them by the way

janeainsworth Wed 16-Sep-20 09:15:13

Spangler I don’t understand why Lucca (and me) objecting to Bel Mooney’s use of the word ‘bully’ in regard to the Covid marshals, has anything to do with my description of the DM as ‘gutter press’ and even less, why that should justify your suggestion that Gransnet in general has double standards.
I’m guessing that your post was a long-winded way of saying that you personally don’t like the Daily Mail being described as the ‘gutter press‘.

Why don’t you just come to the point and say so?