Gransnet forums

AIBU

Flu Jab

(37 Posts)
Missfoodlove Wed 16-Sep-20 10:03:58

3 weeks ago I booked online jabs for myself and husband with Lloyd’s pharmacy.

Email confirmation came through, so all good.

I was passing the pharmacy so popped in to check ( I had a funny feeling!)
They said they couldn’t guarantee a pharmacist would be available so to ring them on the day.

I tried for 2 hours to call them on the day and eventually got through.
I was told it was fine they had vaccine and a pharmacist.

We pitched up to be told the available vaccine was for 65+.
I got really cross, argued my corner, when I suggested they had merrily vaccinated people without bookings, there was a sudden shift!!!
I got the number up on my phone for Head Office customer service and like magic the pharmacist had found two vials of vaccine!!!

Grrrrrrrrr?????

Sparklefizz Wed 16-Sep-20 10:13:23

Well done for fighting your corner!

I've got asthma and the asthma nurse at the surgery has been trying to persuade me to have the 'flu jab every year and I've always refused. This year she was surprised when I agreed, and I had it last Monday.

ayse Wed 16-Sep-20 10:15:34

Having mine at the doctors on Saturday. I’d rather my practice received the £10 cash than any private pharmacy company. Another cash cow?

Missfoodlove Wed 16-Sep-20 12:41:51

ayes
Our practice is not giving flu jabs.
We have to go to a football stadium.

Really!

Willow500 Wed 16-Sep-20 13:01:43

I booked ours for next week with the pharmacy where I get my prescriptions. We've normally had them at the surgery but as we are moving out of the area I didn't want to have the hassle of trying to do it after we've moved. The surgery rang me last week to book us in - she was quite miffed when I said we were already booked at the chemist but then their appointments weren't until the middle of Oct so I felt justified in the way I've done it.

Wedi Wed 16-Sep-20 15:05:42

Our GP practice rang up a couple of weeks ago to ask if my husband and I would like a flu vaccine .

To day we drove to the large station car park , at a specific time , where they had erected a large tent .

We were ticked off the list - donned our masks - rolled up our sleeves and opened the car windows . The nurse jabbed us both and we were on our way , job done .

I do wish the government would decentralise Covid testing . I’m sure most GP practises could manage something like this , adding a vaccine when it’s ready . Even tying off a section of a supermarket .

The ridiculous driving from one end of the country to the other for testing shouldn’t be necessary .

Teetime Wed 16-Sep-20 15:09:20

I'm sorry to hear that about Lloyds they have given us such good service with the 'flu vac and with our prescriptions generally.

Maggiemaybe Wed 16-Sep-20 15:34:54

We’re booked into Boots next Tuesday. We’d normally have gone to the surgery but they hadn’t been in touch till yesterday, when they texted to say they’re booking for October. We’d rather get it done as soon as possible.

rockgran Wed 16-Sep-20 15:52:22

We had our flu jabs last Saturday in the surgery car park in a tent. Very efficiently organised. I was taken inside for the extra shingles jab and again was very impressed with how well they had organised a one way system, etc. It can be done!

Oopsadaisy4 Wed 16-Sep-20 15:55:28

I thought that the flu jab for the over 65s was different than the one for ‘younger‘ people?

Hetty58 Wed 16-Sep-20 16:04:42

Oopsadaisy4 it's a higher dose.

twinnytwin Wed 16-Sep-20 16:16:56

We usually have ours done at the doctors surgery but when I called them, I was told they didn't have any flu vaccine yet. I saw an advert for Boots to do them free (we're over 65), so booked online and we'll be going next week.

Oopsadaisy4 Wed 16-Sep-20 16:18:18

Missfoodlove are you under 65? If so that’s probably where the confusion was.

Tangerine Wed 16-Sep-20 16:19:33

I just walked into a town centre Pharmacy and got a flu jab. Just before this, I'd rung the place where I normally have my flu jab and they said to phone again in a couple of weeks.

On mentioning this to a friend, she told me where to go in our town and I walked in the next day and got my jab.

Elrel Wed 16-Sep-20 16:38:12

GP surgery rang me 19 days ago, suggested possible dates, done last Friday.

tanith Wed 16-Sep-20 18:13:39

Had mine last week at GPs

FannyCornforth Wed 16-Sep-20 18:32:25

Hetty58

Oopsadaisy4 it's a higher dose.

What?
There are strengths of vaccine?
Really??

JuliaM Wed 16-Sep-20 18:34:35

I had mine last week during a consultation with the Nurse practioner over a different matter. They had just received a batch of the flu vaccine for people under 65years old, so I was lucky to get one. My husband also has an appointment to get his Over 65 type vaccine next week, again during a Routine Well Man check up, which will also include a memory test as he turns 80 in a few weeks time.

Fennel Wed 16-Sep-20 18:43:01

I'm debating whether to have the injection or not.
We're late 70s, early 80s and haven't ever had the injection.
Last winter for the first time, we both had a mild dose of the current flu for that year, but this year, with covid still around it's a different matter.
I worry that the injection itself could cause symptoms and weaken our resistance.
I'll have to try to get an appt. to discuss with our GP.

ninathenana Wed 16-Sep-20 18:50:45

I've had a text and a letter from GP inviting us for our flu jabs which we have every year

It won't be done in the car park as it is only big enough for staff plus 4 blue badge spaces.

annodomini Wed 16-Sep-20 19:41:25

I'm expecting to receive a text soon as some have already gone out. They are doing them in the town hall in small, well-spaced groups.

FannyCornforth Thu 17-Sep-20 06:16:13

Apologies, I see that there are indeed different types and strengths of vaccine.
You live and learn.

TwiceAsNice Fri 18-Sep-20 16:52:18

I’ve booked one at my surgery but the earliest I could get was 17 th Oct. I’d really like one before that . Wondering whether to try and get one at the pharmacy ASAP

Deedaa Sat 19-Sep-20 22:12:58

I'm booked in for mine at the GP's next Saturday. They are doing timed appointments this year instead of their usual free for all.

ayse Sat 19-Sep-20 22:30:32

Mine at the GPS today went like clockwork. It was really well organised. I was surprised to be seen by my usual lovely lady GP giving the jab. In an out in 2 minutes.