Gransnet forums

AIBU

Panic buying again!

(138 Posts)
Teacheranne Mon 21-Sep-20 12:34:54

I was horrified to read in the papers today that people are rushing out to stockpile food again - and toilet paper! It was very stressful at last March trying to buy essential food items and I was hoping people would be more sensible and not panic at the thought of stricter restrictions over the winter.

I really hope this is not true and is just the tabloids stirring things up. I also heard that slots for online deliveries are also being snapped up, which makes me even more stressed.

I am not physically able to walk far so find grocery shopping difficult yet not being in the vulnerable category, I lost access to online deliveries. I switched to click and collect, staying up until the early hours to snaffle a newly released slot and really don't want to do that again!

I think I need to go and have a lie down! At least I think I have enough toilet rolls at the moment, after getting down to my last one and having to beg one off a friend, I made sure that I always have an unopened pack of nine in my house!

Tweedle24 Wed 23-Sep-20 13:40:04

I genuinely needed to get loo rolls when I was completing my on-line order this morning. I had deliberately not bought any last week because I did not want to be ‘bulk buying’. I could not believe that most of them were out of stock. My sister, who uses another delivery company, said hers was the same.

boodymum67 Wed 23-Sep-20 13:41:24

oh no..here we go again.
what the chuff is wrong wi folk?

SuzannahM Wed 23-Sep-20 15:00:14

I was in a small Sainsbury at the weekend and Waitrose yesterday and no problems at all. Didn't notice any abnormally empty shelves.

We were doing our normal bi-weekly shop in Waitrose so had a few bags. We may well have looked like we were panic buying.

Wilko also had plenty of loo rolls yesterday, I noticed. Although they may all be gone by the time we want to buy some grin

BlueSky Thu 24-Sep-20 09:06:09

What’s this craze with loo rolls? Most people must have enough left over from the March panic buying! At the moment supermarkets seem to have plenty and they are displayed in prominent places. hmm

Shropshirelass Thu 24-Sep-20 09:12:34

I am shopping tomorrow so will see if it is 'here we go again' where I live. I sincerely hope not!

M0nica Thu 24-Sep-20 11:04:22

It is not panic buying now - and it wasn't in March. It is people who normally shop daily realising that they could be looked down in quarantine for a fortnight - or even longer and making sure they have at least two weeks food in the house.

The problem is that shops and stores have adapted their supply chain to this daily shopping pattern and seem quite incapable of of adapting their almost anorexic 'Just-in-time' delivery systems to this change in shopping habits.

Don't do a Boris and blame the poor s*dding infantry. They are just ordinary people trying to adapt to extraordinary times

I confess I bought an extra lump of cheese today.

Callistemon Thu 24-Sep-20 11:08:55

We have a freezer stuffed full of home grown fruit and veg - we just don't need a power cut!

Teacheranne Thu 24-Sep-20 13:55:24

M0nica

It is not panic buying now - and it wasn't in March. It is people who normally shop daily realising that they could be looked down in quarantine for a fortnight - or even longer and making sure they have at least two weeks food in the house.

The problem is that shops and stores have adapted their supply chain to this daily shopping pattern and seem quite incapable of of adapting their almost anorexic 'Just-in-time' delivery systems to this change in shopping habits.

Don't do a Boris and blame the poor s*dding infantry. They are just ordinary people trying to adapt to extraordinary times

I'm not totally sure that people are just buying a couple of weeks supplies, or at least not everyone. Since starting this post I've "spoken" to quite a few people who have admitted that they buying a lot more.

For instance, my sister ( family of 4) usually buys 2 x 9 toilet packs every two weeks in her delivery. This week she ordered 6 packs and also went to the shops and bought another 10, so now she has 144 rolls instead of her usual 18!

Greyduster Thu 24-Sep-20 14:09:55

Dropped into a Lidl this morning (en route to other non food shopping) to buy some of their Danish pastries?. Busy, but no outside queues, no overloaded trollies, shelves fully stocked. Thank goodness some folks are using their noggins!

M0nica Thu 24-Sep-20 17:42:49

I went shopping at my local Waitrose early this morning and it was so quiet that they only had one till open.

The only things I couldn't get were goats milk and lambs liver, hardly the items that people hoard.

Summerlove Thu 24-Sep-20 19:07:06

M0nica

I think this is true of most people!

MrsRochester Sat 26-Sep-20 11:30:10

Really don’t think it helps that supermarkets are putting out public statements, declaring that they are limiting items to prevent panic buying.
Completely agree with the policy but why effectively employ reverse psychology by having it announced on the BBC news? Result, people who hadn’t even considered it think, oh, other people are stocking up, maybe I should do the same?
No need at all. Just put up notices in the shop and tell people to put 7 of their 10 packets of pasta back.