Gransnet forums

AIBU

If you panic buy loo roll

(92 Posts)
Sallywally1 Thu 24-Sep-20 17:20:47

Can I ask why. I’m curious as Covid does not cause gastro problems and if people are sensible there is a plentiful supply for everyone. I’m not being judge pants, just curious.

Saggi Sun 27-Sep-20 12:15:56

I think people have already started to panic buy as I ordered my usual 9 roll pack to be delivered with my Sainsburys order yesterday, Usually a 9 pack per month,but they delivered an 18 pack because they’d run out of my 9 packs.... and so it starts.

Doodledog Sun 27-Sep-20 12:18:08

Aepgirl

It’s just selfish. There is plenty to go round provided everybody just buys what they need.

Can you define ‘what they need’? Someone shopping every day might only need to buy once every 4 trips, whereas a monthly shopper would need a bumper pack. A large family needs more than a single person and someone with digestive issues is going to need more again.

Rationing is silly. It stops people shopping for others, and forces everyone to do more regular shops than they might prefer. Also, everyone shops differently. Some shop in bulk and others go much more regularly. Neither is wrong.

Some people get twitchy if they don’t have full cupboards, whereas others prefer a ‘just in time’ approach to shopping. Both systems are fine.

Seriously- nobody is going to start using more loo roll, so when everyone is comfortable with the numbers they have in stock it will all settle down. This is becoming another one of those ‘I do it this way, so anyone doing it differently is stupid and selfish’ things.

annodomini Sun 27-Sep-20 12:21:22

I always bulk buy toilet rolls. Yesterday, I found a large pack had been delivered, fortunately to the back door.

leeds22 Sun 27-Sep-20 12:38:45

When I cleared my Mum's flat I found her stockpile of loo rolls. She must have bought a packet of 4 every time she went out. And they were all pink - didn't match our bathroom at all.

keeno Sun 27-Sep-20 12:52:37

I believe Covid does cause gastro problems.
It has been documented.
One of my sons was very ill with covid. When he was well enough to speak to me on the phone he had to dash off several times to the loo. (Racing his wife and children who had it too).

Oldbat1 Sun 27-Sep-20 13:10:40

Bowel cancer, irritable bowel, Crohn’s disease all good reasons for keeping a stock of loo rolls.

Missfoodlove Sun 27-Sep-20 13:45:25

Our daughter is currently installing new bathrooms in her house, she has had “bum guns” put by the lavatories!

At first I thought she was bonkers but they are excellent, really hygienic and great for cleaning the loo.

Happysexagenarian Sun 27-Sep-20 13:57:04

I have an inflamatory bowel condition so we always buy big packs (24) of loo rolls every week. During lockdown I bought a couple of packs of 100 each as backup. We have only just finished them. I'd rather have too many than run out!

seadragon Sun 27-Sep-20 14:02:51

Grannynannywanny

I liked the explanation given for stock piling loo rolls back in March....
When someone sneezes everyone else poo’s their pants?

Me too, Grannynannywanny!!

Tea3 Sun 27-Sep-20 14:39:38

A friend once told me that she hated asking permission in class to visit the toilet at the rural primary she attended in the 1950's. The teacher asked in front of the class if you needed one sheet or two and then made a great performance of getting the loo roll out of her desk and peeling off one or two sheets.

clareken Sun 27-Sep-20 14:40:31

I was in Asda yesterday. Loo roll aisle virtually stripped bare, but plenty of pasta, flour and tinned stuff. I will see what next week brings.

SuzannahM Sun 27-Sep-20 15:12:45

My neighbour still has half a garage full of loo rolls, and she's busily stocking up again. There are only two of them, neither is ill. In fact they have both carried on their business throughout lock down.

They have had grocery deliveries every week and shopped all through lock down. Alongside the loo rolls are two freezers that they bought during lock down and keep stocked and a cupboard full of tinned goods. She could probably feed the whole street for a week.

I'm not spying on her, she very proudly told me all this while I was chatting to her one day outside her house, and even lifted her garage door to show me. Sadly she doesn't know why she is spending all that time and money, neither is she interested. I think it has turned into a hobby.

Kim19 Sun 27-Sep-20 15:17:19

How about those of us who don't have a 'good' reason telling us why here? I resorted to kitchen rolls in the last insanity. Not so bad but more expensive, of course.

Jaxjacky Sun 27-Sep-20 15:20:22

Kim19 kitchen toll doesn’t disintegrate like toilet roll, it can cause ‘fat bergs’ and block drains.

CleoPanda Sun 27-Sep-20 15:29:11

Like a few other posters on here, I’ve subscribed to the Who Gives A Crap site - sustainable business, recycled or eco friendly bamboo, 50% of profits to providing toilets to disadvantaged communities, deliveries to suit etc. They also sell tissues and kitchen towel.
One off purchases or 15% off with a Flexible subscription. Rolls are double size.
Never be without a loo roll!!

Spangler Sun 27-Sep-20 15:44:52

CleoPanda Sun 27-Sep-20 15:29:11
Like a few other posters on here, I’ve subscribed to the Who Gives A Crap site.

Essex girl pushes her beloved vintage Mini into the garage. "It just stopped on me," she wails. The Proprietor, a kindly fellow, told her to go and wash her hands in the Ladies.

Coming out, she heard her car's engine running sweetly. "You got it going," she said, somewhat surprised. "What was the problem?" "Just crap in the carburettor," he replied. "Oh!" she replied."How often do I have to do that?"

Kim19 Sun 27-Sep-20 16:06:14

Jj, thank you. It was a last resort but I didn't put that info into the equation. Ignorance is not always bliss, eh?!

Riversidegirl Sun 27-Sep-20 16:10:28

Andrex Classic is awful now. Is this why it is piled up for sale everywhere, including B n Q, who don't sell toilet paper?

earnshaw Sun 27-Sep-20 16:42:38

i dont get it, we were shielded in march , eventually managed to get a supermarket slot for home delivery, so anyone who cant leave home just get a home delivery, you can then order your normal supply of toilet rolls, no need to run out

TrendyNannie6 Sun 27-Sep-20 17:42:01

I think even when supermarkets were putting a limit on toilet roll purchasing families were splitting up and going to different checkouts and getting packs of whatever the limit was, I know that for a fact as I know one family that did this, and quite blatantly said they will go round different supermarkets and carry on, some people just have no shame,

wetflannel Sun 27-Sep-20 19:05:09

Panic buying has already started in our only supermarket Morrisons. Couldn't believe my eyes when we were shopping the other day. What is the matter with people, if they didn't panic buy there would be plenty for everyone.

Doodledog Sun 27-Sep-20 19:25:11

When there is, or is talk of rationing, people will buy as much as they think they might need in case they can’t get it when they do need it.

I don’t drive, and my nearest supermarket is miles away. I have had groceries delivered for years, but when the last lockdown kicked in and the numbers of people wanting delivery slots soared, I struggled for a while.

I couldn’t do click and collect, and as long as there were limits on the numbers of items I couldn’t ask anyone to pick up extras for me. I didn’t need loo rolls, but if I had I would have bought more than others might have thought I ‘needed’.

It’s easy to say that people should do x or y, but unless they know their circumstances (not just think they do) it’s not anyone’s place to comment on others.

kwest Sun 27-Sep-20 21:56:38

For me loo roll shortage is non-negotiable. I think any good housekeeper ( which most of us are) is negligent if she/he leaves getting adequate supplies to chance. We were locked down the first time around and ordered loo rolls and extra large thick kitchen rolls to use as hand towels online in bulk. I will make sure this time around that my freezer is full, basic tinned foods are in the cupboards and toiletries and cleaning products will last for three months, I will replace stocks as they run down. We could not get a supermarket slot for three months last time and thankfully were adequately looked after with deliveries from local stores and the market but prices were really high. I will not be caught out again by holding back instead of making sure I have adequate supplies in rather than being held to ransom by having to pay huge premiums just to be politically correct.

coastiepostie Sun 27-Sep-20 22:17:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OceanMama Sun 27-Sep-20 23:34:03

TrendyNannie6

I think even when supermarkets were putting a limit on toilet roll purchasing families were splitting up and going to different checkouts and getting packs of whatever the limit was, I know that for a fact as I know one family that did this, and quite blatantly said they will go round different supermarkets and carry on, some people just have no shame,

If you have a large family, this might be necessary. Unfortunately the limits are the same whether you have a family of 2 or 10. Great for the family with 2 but it leaves the larger family short.

Also, families with autistic children (or even adults) who survive on the same staple food most of the time aren't going to lose their sensory aversions and eat something else just because they have used their limit. We might be able to do that, but some people can't so you do what you need to do.