Gransnet forums

AIBU

Granddaughter not showing any acknowledgment nor volunteering help

(108 Posts)
bluerinse Tue 29-Sep-20 22:49:30

We have had 16 year old GD living with us since July. She attends school nearby aiming to achieve entrance to university. She doesn’t offer assistance to the life of the household nor does she show any appreciation when anything is done for her. Meal times are becoming a dread of mine as she picks out the food she doesn’t like despite my having altered our eating habits in the attempt to avoid this happening. Help!

welbeck Sat 03-Oct-20 00:15:16

i think we need more context as to why she is staying with you.
the bedroom doesn't matter, does it, as it does not affect you. actually it was a later poster that mentioned bedroom, perhaps that's not an issue for OP.
but i do think saying teenagers are just like that, is a bit of a cop out. if they are, it is only because adults have allowed them to be so.
if not much is expected of them in terms of contributing to the running of the household, it's hardly surprising that they do little to help.
it never occurs to them to help.
so it's a bit tricky to start now.
as to the food/meals, could you leave her to serve herself in the kitchen, so she takes only what she will eat, to avoid waste. i thought most people did that now anyway.
is she there at weekends too, if so perhaps in a more relaxed moment you could just try to involve her in daily tasks. don't be a servant, it's undignified and unhelpful, as it disables others.
good luck.

happycatholicwife1 Sat 03-Oct-20 00:57:02

For Pete's sake, why is this normal teen behavior? Because it has been allowed. When, exactly, did it become normal to be perennially angry, unhappy, never satisfied, lacking in gratitude. Children have always had hormones. There have always been stressors, etc. Yes, talk. Yes, lay out expectations. Yes, show love. Don't allow your house to be run by an entitled, selfish, child. Has she never been taught to say please or thank you? Perhaps a drive through some poor neighborhoods where children really do without might be in order. I can't understand why this has become the norm when it should be the exception. Please don't say Covid. Think of the Jewish children during the holocaust, think of children in war-torn Africa. Yes, my mother actually told me to finish my meal because there are starving children in China. Maybe no TV, no clean laundry, no frills will help her focus. I don't care how much pressure she's under to perform, she should be polite and appreciative. Maybe one less tennis lesson or dance class is in order.

Missfoodlove Sat 03-Oct-20 07:43:14

We have been away sharing a lovely holiday cottage with our friend.
Her 34 year old daughter came along with her boyfriend.
Her behaviour was that of a 16 year old.
She was slovenly, rude ,ungrateful and lazy.
It was embarrassing.
Her mother has never brought her in to line as she cannot cope with confrontation.
Do not make the same mistake.

Alexa Sat 03-Oct-20 21:59:47

It is not the girl's fault she is rude . She needs to be taught.

ExD Sun 04-Oct-20 13:50:37

BlueRinse, unless I'm mistaken (if so I apologise) I notice that you haven't answered any of our questions, or in fact made any comments at all.
What do you make of all these varied and intended-to-be-helpful replies?

Franbern Mon 05-Oct-20 18:51:50

quizqueen

If teenagers or other children, in general, don't help around the house then the fault is with the adults who have low expectations of their behaviour and do everything for them! My granddaughter is only 9 and, when she stays with me, she often gets up early and sorts her own breakfast, helps prepare meals, lays and clears the table, packs/unloads the dishwasher, makes me a cup of tea etc.

Great -she is 9 yrs old. Copying adults is fun at that age. Let us see how she behaves at 16 yrs - when pushing the adult laid down boundaries becomes the norm,.

grannypiper Mon 05-Oct-20 19:33:25

She is only like this because you let her away with it bluerinse For her behaviour to change you have to change yours first.