Gransnet forums

AIBU

Ch*****as

(45 Posts)
yggdrasil Fri 02-Oct-20 09:19:09

We are just into October. It is weeks till all that Halloween fuss. And then there is my birthday which I have decided not to have any more.
Is there really any point in fussing about what will happen in almost 3 months? :-)

yggdrasil Fri 02-Oct-20 14:57:47

Puzzled: In October, that word offends ME, which ie why my post

Moonlight113 Fri 02-Oct-20 15:02:06

Happy birthday anyway yggdrasil, whether you have it or not. ?

Katek Fri 02-Oct-20 15:31:44

I too have a birthday coming up in November, Dh’s is at beginning of December. dd2’s is a week before Christmas and ds’ is 4 days after. All very exciting! Season always starts early for me with panto planning/rehearsal, village Christmas lights etc. Can’t leave it until 1st December unfortunately!

Black and white cat lives with me jane10!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 02-Oct-20 15:33:31

I have par-boiled baby parsnips and frozen them ?

Callistemon Fri 02-Oct-20 15:41:20

Who has "wild piss-ups" as part of Christmas?
All those good folk who stumble from pub to church for Midnight Mass! You can smell the alcohol in the atmosphere and it's not the communion wine.

Jane10 Fri 02-Oct-20 15:43:27

Awwww lovely black and white cat. You are Postman Pat Katek busted!

kittylester Fri 02-Oct-20 15:46:01

I keep saying this but

There can be no mention of Ch*****as until after our local street fair in November and that has been cancelled so it throws the whole of the other thing into doubt.

And, what is a wild piss up?

Callistemon Fri 02-Oct-20 15:50:38

I think one of the things I'll really miss will be the Christingle service, when the lights go out in the church, the candles are lit in the oranges and the children sing a Christingle hymn.

Callistemon Fri 02-Oct-20 15:52:59

And, what is a wild piss up?
Something I vaguely remember from my student days when I helped other poor souls stagger home because I was the one who didn't drink.

Katek Fri 02-Oct-20 17:15:18

Couldn’t the school/church arrange an outdoor Christingle service callistemon? Could be quite magical with candles (could use the little battery ones) and a choir of children.

Chewbacca Fri 02-Oct-20 18:44:39

There is one other thing that will change this Christmas , and for the better: NO DREADED OFFICE CHRISTMAS PARTIES!!gringrin I dread them! Hundreds of pissed up revellers wearing Father Christmas hats, crammed into pubs and restaurants than can't really cope with catering for vast numbers and the food is mediocre/inedible. And then the obligatory pub crawl.... which is even worse to bear when you're tee total! Every cloud has a silver lining..... grin

MissAdventure Fri 02-Oct-20 18:50:30

It's worse when you have to go on them.
I loathe works doos!

Chewbacca Fri 02-Oct-20 18:56:23

Have you ever feined illness/prior engagement/clash with OHs birthday/urgent last minute family crisis/pounding migraine attack (even though you've never had a migraine in your life) MissAdventure?

MissAdventure Fri 02-Oct-20 19:11:54

Yes, and I end up so angry at the idea of going that I don't even care if it's believable, in the end.

Chewbacca Fri 02-Oct-20 19:19:04

grin me too! Eventually, I stopped giving the weak excuses as to why I wouldn't be going. The dreaded email with the attached "Christmas Festive Lunch Menu" that you had to choose from in October and still remember your choices on 20th December. I just kept deleting them until they stopped asking!

MissAdventure Fri 02-Oct-20 19:28:24

People start planning what to wear in October, and I always end up sitting between the boss, and the most drunk colleague in the party.

Chewbacca Fri 02-Oct-20 19:38:28

Sitting next to the boss? Double whammy! grin

Callistemon Fri 02-Oct-20 19:45:55

Katek

Couldn’t the school/church arrange an outdoor Christingle service callistemon? Could be quite magical with candles (could use the little battery ones) and a choir of children.

They may do, Katek. There is a large green in front of the church.
I suppose it is weather dependent.

Katek Fri 02-Oct-20 20:39:11

Gazebos without the sides are the answer along with cosy jacket and boots!