Gransnet forums

AIBU

Ch*****as

(44 Posts)
yggdrasil Fri 02-Oct-20 09:19:09

We are just into October. It is weeks till all that Halloween fuss. And then there is my birthday which I have decided not to have any more.
Is there really any point in fussing about what will happen in almost 3 months? :-)

Chewbacca Fri 02-Oct-20 09:21:59

No.

OceanMama Fri 02-Oct-20 09:28:27

Why is part of that word starred out? I've noticed it in other threads too.

Callistemon Fri 02-Oct-20 10:25:54

I just typed the word twice on another thread.
Sorry blush
Actually, no, I'm not!
??☃️❄???⛄

biba70 Fri 02-Oct-20 10:32:09

No- and it won't happen for us anyhow.

lemongrove Fri 02-Oct-20 10:32:27

I think we can say Christmas.....CHRISTMAS!?now it’s October.
No holiday or event is worth making a fuss over at the moment yyg but do celebrate your birthday with as many cheerful things as you possibly can.
Children will miss Halloween parties and calling on neighbours etc but parents can still decorate the house and do a special tea etc.
We shouldn’t abandon all merriment ( in fact, we should make more effort in that dept.)
Christmas is not ‘cancelled’ in any case and we can all still enjoy it but in a different way.?

Callistemon Fri 02-Oct-20 10:34:35

I agree.

Although I can understand ignoring birthdays

Jane10 Fri 02-Oct-20 10:51:47

Christmas will still be Christmas. It might be a bit different but it'll be OK. Church, chocolate, presents, cards, decorations, Christmas TV programmes etc will still all be there.
No doubt schools will be full of Christmas activities and will still allow for Halloween and Guy Fawkes fun for children.
The only thing missing might be large noisy parties and work nights out in pubs.
In many ways Christmas could be nicer than usual except for those unable to be with loved ones.

henetha Fri 02-Oct-20 11:00:25

Well said, Jane10

biba70 Fri 02-Oct-20 11:03:39

simple for you to say Jane - some of us will probably, almost 100% surely, NOT be able to be with our children and grandchildren.

tiredoldwoman Fri 02-Oct-20 11:08:52

chihuahuas .

Jane10 Fri 02-Oct-20 11:28:01

Biba70- I did say except for those unable to be with loved ones.

BlueSky Fri 02-Oct-20 12:11:22

Won’t be any different for us in any case as children and grandchildren living abroad. So perhaps easier for us as we are now used to exchanged FaceTime Christmas wishes complete with virtual hugs and kisses! ?

Desdemona Fri 02-Oct-20 12:21:20

If this is a year to get rid of the ghastly Halloween spectacle then I for one will be happy.

Christmas, well - a time of gentler celebrations, a nice lunch, considered gifts with family and friends and a general feeling of goodwill without wild p**s ups and parties.

Jane10 Fri 02-Oct-20 12:35:38

Sounds good to me Desdemona.

Moonlight113 Fri 02-Oct-20 12:48:37

Who has "wild piss-ups" as part of Christmas?

The thought of not having the family around us over the Christmas period, because the younger ones are determined to not place us oldies in any danger, is horrible to think of. Christmas is family to those lucky enough to have such.

And then there's the usual lovely run-up to Christmas. The different church fairs with the homemade mince pies and jars of chutney, and the lovely Christmas craft work on sale.

It's probably not going to happen this year! or be horribly weather dependent.

It's so sad.

Moonlight113 Fri 02-Oct-20 12:49:26

Sorry to be on a downer.

Jane10 Fri 02-Oct-20 13:45:50

Moonlight- Church fairs etc can still happen. Maybe socially distanced but I bet the atmosphere will be lovely with everyone doing their best!

Katek Fri 02-Oct-20 13:50:46

Agree 100% jane10, all those things will still be there to be enjoyed. We wouldn’t be seeing small grandchildren this year as it was other Granny’s turn anyway , and the older ones plus all the DC will be with us virtually. Who knows, perhaps even for real, but Dh and I will be planning our own mini Xmas with scope to expand if we can! I’m rehearsing a virtual panto atm and am also involved in our village Christmas countdown which will have an activity/competition/ online event from 1st - 24th December. For instance we have quizzes, colouring competitions with the school, best dressed Xmas window, and a sleigh tour of the village with Santa, along with Xmas jumper Day pics, Xmas bake-off and the minister is also involved in doing something special in church for the 4 Sundays. Santa (gloved) will be handing out selection boxes to all the children, they’ve not had a good year either so a little Xmas magic is called for! To me it’s about what we still have, not what we haven’t. I, for one, am still going to have a very happy Xmas even working within the restrictions. . ??

felice Fri 02-Oct-20 13:59:30

Same as always here, SIL works until midnight or later Christmas eve, DD, DGS and I, and SIL if home in time will have our Christmas dinner, Belgian style.
Next morning DGS and DD will come downstairs open the pressies here, then Lunch and upstairs to open pressies there.
Give SIL a chance to get some sleep.
A quiet family day, not sure yet what will happen on the 6th of December, St Nicolas day.

Daisymae Fri 02-Oct-20 14:05:02

Katek - you certainly have got it all planned out! I like the idea of having something in the village every day in December.

Jane10 Fri 02-Oct-20 14:30:50

Katek's village sounds lovely. Like Greendale. Does your postman have a black and white cat by any chance?

Puzzled Fri 02-Oct-20 14:35:04

You can't say "Christmas" You might offend someone!

Wheniwasyourage Fri 02-Oct-20 14:55:05

Well, however many you're cooking for, I hope you all have your sprouts on by now, or it will be too late to get them properly cooked. Time doesn't stand still, you know!

Grannybags Fri 02-Oct-20 14:56:43

Wheniwasyourage grin