Gransnet forums

AIBU

Marks and spencer

(91 Posts)
Sallywally1 Sun 04-Oct-20 02:45:12

Have finally lots it’s way. Had a look at their latest offerings and although they have some quite nice dresses they are no good for the majority of its customers as they are either too short, too young, narrow size range and just not what most of its customers want. They only go up to size range 18 which have already sold out, and most women (unless much younger) prefer skirts to be below the knee and to have sleeves, not to mention waisted dresses to be on the waist not just below the bust!

I will be shopping elsewhere from now on. I used to wear virtually from marks. What a shame.

seacliff Sat 10-Oct-20 11:14:42

M and S are offering me Sparks 20% off clothing now, so I thought I'd get some more straight leg joggers. No luck in my size in any of the three colours. Very annoying. No doubt they'll be back in stock just after the offer expires.

annodomini Sat 10-Oct-20 11:30:14

I ordered two bras from M&S recently. Clicked and collected from the store. I only went to pick up my order and had to fight my way through a plethora of sale rails full of clothing that obviously nobody wanted, and for good reasons. However, the bras are comfy and well fitting, so the outing was not fruitless!

Grannynannywanny Sat 10-Oct-20 11:42:23

seacliff could you maybe buy some in any size to secure the 20% off then do a straight swap in store when your size is available?

Jane10 Sat 10-Oct-20 13:18:14

I live in straight leg joggers. They never have my size in store. (I need the longer length ones). I just order online a collect next time I'm in the shop.

CraftyGranny Sat 10-Oct-20 13:51:46

My Mum and Aunt used to be a machinists for M&S, many many years ago. Their quality control was very strict, even to the number of stitches per inch!
Not so good now though.

seacliff Sat 10-Oct-20 15:14:04

Thanks for the idea Grannwanny . Trouble is I normally order online and collect from my food store, so sadly no exchanges that way. I am reluctant to go into town, as it's a 40+ mile round trip, and I don't honestly enjoy wandering around the shops these days.

Jane me too! Very comfortable. They only have the short online for me! I really want to get some more in case they stop making them.

seacliff Sun 11-Oct-20 10:34:51

Yay, my joggers are back in stock, and the 20% off still works. So ordered them, 2 pairs slippers for OH, they do last well compared to others. And a couple of cosy heatgen plus thermal tops for me.

Alexa Sun 11-Oct-20 11:09:44

Liz : "huge lumps on the side like jodhpurs" .

eXACTLY!

That is why their trousers are all wrong. Women who have well muscled thighs want to show them off and women with skinny thighs don't want to drape them like clowns.

Actually their joggers are okay for their basic cigarette shape = =

Grannycool52 Sun 11-Oct-20 11:22:35

There is a shop in Pitlochery in Scotland that does very good British- and German-made clothes. It is called House of Bruar. I don't live in the UK but buy them online. They are, of course, twice the price of Marks, but are well made, attractive and hard-wearing, and last for ages.

Marydoll Sun 11-Oct-20 11:25:25

I could spend all day in House of Bruar, in fact I could probably spend the contents of my bank account in there! wink

Anniezee Mon 12-Oct-20 15:35:40

I imagine M&S's customers are mostly middle aged onwards. What woman in that age bracket wants sleeveless dresses? I want high content cotton jumpers, nothing with wool but I find theirs and many other manufacturers (especially high end) make jumpers with wool content. Am I alone being post menopausal and not being able to wear wool or thick clothes? Surely the higher end brands can expect the greatest part of their clientele to be those with the most disposable income - older ladies, most of whom do not wear sleeveless dresses (bingo wings) or thick jumpers! I think M&S in particular has longs it way as to who their target audience is for clothing.

Kalu Mon 12-Oct-20 16:52:12

I buy all my jeggings in M&S but I have recently found the cut is dreadful and far too narrow at the ankles. Very disappointing as I love the range of colours available.

I have never had any luck in House of Bruar apart from a few bits for the house or some goodies from their food dept.

sparklingsilver28 Mon 12-Oct-20 17:46:21

Love the House of Bruar, lovely clothes but never able to buy any, the size range too limited. Friend and I bought quite a few pairs of shoes, expensive but wonderful quality that last for years. During lock-down ordered from the Food Hall with excellent result and will certainly use them again.

grannyrebel7 Mon 12-Oct-20 20:28:20

Love M&S jeans - the Sienna range. They're really good and reasonably priced. I've got the blue ones and the black ones. M&S also do great underwear, but apart from that I don't buy anything in there. Still miss British Home Stores. I used to love that shop!

readsalot Tue 13-Oct-20 10:10:23

I only buy undies, tights, pyjamas and jeggings from M & S. White Stuff for most other things and Woolovers for knitwear. Next is great for children's clothes. I am a size 18 and the jodhpur look is on some skirts and dresses too.