Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think the job of supermarkets is to sell groceries?

(88 Posts)
flopen Sun 04-Oct-20 14:41:20

Sainsbury's have tweeted that they are supporting Black History Month and that anyone who disapproves is welcome to shop elsewhere.
I prefer my supermarkets to stick to selling groceries, not virtue signal.

flopen Sun 04-Oct-20 18:07:34

I think people have got odd ideas of how much time is available in the curriculum to learn any history.

lilypollen Sun 04-Oct-20 18:58:58

No problem with retailers supporting charities, e.g. I always put something in a food bank bin when there is one and they often match donations. Like other posters I do not see much diversity in the 2 branches I can go to. I simply object to their tone "take it or leave it". So I'll leave it and they've also lost my Christmas advance order to M & S.

GagaJo Sun 04-Oct-20 20:26:53

flopen

I think people have got odd ideas of how much time is available in the curriculum to learn any history.

I recall a few years (less than 10) ago teaching Native American history. If there is time for that, there is time for including the history of black Britons.

Hetty58 Sun 04-Oct-20 20:35:56

flopen, shop where you like - I'm sure that Sainsbury's won't miss you - although I can't think why you'd object.

Callistemon Sun 04-Oct-20 20:43:20

I do think they could have worded it better in order to win friends and influence people.

They need a new person who understands leverage psychology in marketing!

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sun 04-Oct-20 20:44:24

Well done Sainsbury's then!

Isn't it rather churlish to object? Does it adversely affect their sales of groceries? It would do most of us good to be a bit more aware of Black history. I don't know about you but the history I was taught at school seemed to assume that the rest of the world just sprang into existence when the English came along to rescue it from darkness and ignorance.

Callistemon Sun 04-Oct-20 20:53:31

Wouldn't it have been much better to have said
"Come along to your nearest store and find out more about Black History - learn and enjoy."

The way they have worded it has obviously got some people's backs up - whereas they could have been an influence for good.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sun 04-Oct-20 20:57:52

Callistemon, I assume the words you object to are:

"We proudly represent and serve our diverse society and anyone who does not want to shop with an inclusive retailer is welcome to shop elsewhere"

Sounds spot on to me. Such a person is not welcome in my circle of friends either.

Callistemon Sun 04-Oct-20 21:02:31

No, absolutely not.
Sainsbury's is not amongst your circle of friends.

This is a retail business, not your or my best friend.
They need to use marketing psychology to encourage people to come in, to shop and to learn.

Chewbacca Sun 04-Oct-20 21:06:44

We proudly represent and serve our diverse society and anyone who does not want to shop with an inclusive retailer is welcome to shop elsewhere"

I prefer:

We proudly represent and serve our diverse society and look forward to welcoming all customers who want to shop with an inclusive retailer.

Same message but without the unnecessary "suck it up or bugger off".

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sun 04-Oct-20 21:18:21

Looks like there'll be a better class of fellow shopper in Sainsbury's in future, then.

janeainsworth Sun 04-Oct-20 21:23:11

We proudly represent and serve our diverse society and anyone who does not want to shop with an inclusive retailer is welcome to shop elsewhere

Why would Sainsbury’s think that anyone would choose to shop elsewhere because they were inclusive?
Do people go round supermarkets looking to see how many ethnic minority staff they employ?

Most people shop on price or on quality.

It sounds almost as though Sainsbury’s think that their customer base is full of racist bigots and they want to get rid of them.

Doodledog Sun 04-Oct-20 21:24:41

flopen

I don't think that is relevant to the topic, although there is always a case to be made for learning more about the past and how it informs our present.

Given that there is any time at all in the curriculum, why not use it to teach about the whole topic, rather than select bits of it that make no reference to the heritage of some of the children in the class?

David Olusoga's example was a good one, IMO. Why concentrate on the mills and machines, but leave out references to the slaves who picked the cotton, and the slave owners, many of whom became famous statesmen who are taught about in other contexts?

Teacheranne Sun 04-Oct-20 22:35:51

October has been Black History month in schools for many years, it's an opportunity for children to learn more about black people who have contributed to our history and also to celebrate diversity.

lilypollen Sun 04-Oct-20 22:40:36

I think Sainsbury's Twitter responder is a BYT seeking to make a name for themself. Be controversial. I've come across the same thing writing to my MP. Initially courteous replies which I think were penned by himself. Now he is a Cabinet Minister and I get dismissive responsive responses which I perceive are from a junior who doesn't have a clue about who he/she is alienating. To those who seek to control us remember: Shoppers and Voters count grin

Esspee Sun 04-Oct-20 22:50:46

Maggiemaybe

Hmm. I think I’d be a little more inclined to support that slightly aggressive attitude if Sainsbury's management reflected our diverse society.

www.about.sainsburys.co.uk/about-us/our-management

With you all the way Maggie!

Callistemon Sun 04-Oct-20 23:47:22

I don't know about you but the history I was taught at school seemed to assume that the rest of the world just sprang into existence when the English came along to rescue it from darkness and ignorance.

I'm not sure how old you are, LadyHonoriaDedlock but it's a good few years since I was at school and I know that the curriculum has changed somewhat since then.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sun 04-Oct-20 23:49:35

lilypollen, flopen, Callistemon and others: anybody would think you see what Sainsbury's are saying as directed at you. Don't you want to shop with an inclusive retailer then?

(I agree that the lack of diversity in Sainsbugs senior management does rather undermine their case but even so...)

Callistemon Sun 04-Oct-20 23:53:43

Honoria
You're just not getting it, are you!

Don't you want to shop with an inclusive retailer then?
Don't try that tactic, it just doesn't wash.

If you are finding it difficult to understand:
It's not the message, it's the way it's put across.

Chewbacca Mon 05-Oct-20 00:21:00

lilypollen, flopen, Callistemon and others: anybody would think you see what Sainsbury's are saying as directed at you. Don't you want to shop with an inclusive retailer then?

I think that they very probably do want to shop with an inclusive retailer, as any socially conscious person would; they just don't appreciate the bad manners and poor attitude.

Spangler Mon 05-Oct-20 00:37:44

In the 1960's, the origin of the loyalty card was founded, it was called: Green Shield Stamps. Tesco saw an opportunity an embraced the concept. Sainsbury's on the other hand claimed that the trading stamp companies were a blood sucking leech on the retail industry.

Come the early 1970's and the six day war, the quadrupling of fuel prices, trading stamps were forgotten, motorists were just grateful to get a tank full of fuel.

Green Shield had nowhere to go, or so it seemed. They had a distribution centre, a fleet of trucks and they had a chain of retail outlets. Rather than go down the mail order catalogue route, they re-invented themselves and became: Argos.

After changing owners a number of times who now owns that leech on the retail trade? Sainsbury's, that's who. Now they hope that by taking the moral high ground on a racial issue they will be seen as a kind of, people before profit, organisation. Yeah right!

PamelaJ1 Mon 05-Oct-20 08:59:03

So what are they actually doing to support Black History Month?

lemongrove Mon 05-Oct-20 09:55:53

Callistemon

That's fine by me if they wish to support Black History Month if it's a charity.

But I do take issue with their second paragraph which more or less says - if you don't like it you can bugger off elsewhere.
That is rather offensive.

Yes, Galaxy, I'd be more impressed if I saw more black people working in our nearest Sainsbury's and I'd be interested to see a portfolio of their managers.

Anyway, we can't go there, they are in a lockdown area.
They're not my favourite supermarket; I'm avoiding them because they could not give me a priority slot and were very offhand about it.

You have saved me typing my thoughts.?

Lexisgranny Mon 05-Oct-20 10:01:31

The sentiment was laudable, the wording questionable.

Oldwoman70 Mon 05-Oct-20 10:02:48

Why are people getting upset about this? Black History Month has been going for some years (nothing to do with Black Lives Matter) so I don't understand why it is becoming an issue now.