Gransnet forums

AIBU

Cleaner

(121 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Wed 14-Oct-20 10:11:01

My sister has taken on a cleaner who is very efficient and only charges £7 an hour. I was thinking of employing her too as I hate housework. However, my sister has since found out that this woman is a single mother on benefits and is not paying tax on the money she earns from her cleaning jobs. This has put me off as I like everything to be above board, but my sister says she doesn't care about it. I've decided not to bother anyway and will wait until I get my state pension next summer and employ a cleaner then. Just wondered what does everyone else think? I can sort of see both sides, but I wouldn't want to be aiding and abetting someone defrauding the system.

boho43 Thu 15-Oct-20 17:37:15

I pay my wonderful cleaner £10 an hour - which she declares.
I wouldn’t mind if she didn’t though.

red1 Thu 15-Oct-20 17:41:25

estimated benefit fraud 1 billion per annum
estimated corporate business fraud 100 billiion per annum
plus what goes on in the black economy and crime proceeds,
a single mum trying to get by on benefits ,c'mon....

widgeon3 Thu 15-Oct-20 19:51:00

''Out of curiosity, I looked up the rules on the Government website. It is actually the responsibility of the employer to pay any tax or NI. There should also be a formal contract. There are also rules about holiday and sick pay. It is quite complex and I know most people do not bother with all that. If you want life to be simpler, employ through an agency which deals with all the legalities.''
I'm sorry, I copied this from someone's response but cannot now see its orogin in this thread
Out of interest I rang ACAS, when a new would-be cleaner came for an interview and she demanded top rates of pay + holiday pay monthly + 1 week's pay per month towards sick pay This was for 3 hours work weekly which the person I spoke to at ACAS said was not required in law
My previous cleaner who had asked for, and received £10 an hour earlier this year decided to put her pay requirement up by 50% during lockdown. As she had little experience I turned her down
Her replacement asked for £13 an hour which seems to be about the going rate for cleaning.

I do not feel that I should be required to take on the role of tax collector on the government's behalf Cheques, it seems, will be phased out; the rental of a machine to process a card payment is too great so I can see no future, when cheques go ,in playing her in anything other than cash
As with cOVID, does anyone actually work anything out with all the full ramifications?

PamelaJ1 Thu 15-Oct-20 20:17:15

Pay a proper and fair hourly rate then your cleaner will be able to pay taxes, if she earns enough, plus pay her NI contributions which will ensure she gets a pension later on.

Nightsky2 Thu 15-Oct-20 20:48:28

£7 an hour is far too low. I pay mine £15 an hour and am happy to do so. It doesn’t matter whether she’s 17 or 47, £7 is still too low. You have the nerve to say that because she might not declare her earnings that this has put you off employing her hmm. She’s clearly desperate to earn some money so let your sister do the decent thing and pay this woman a proper wage.

Shelagh6 Thu 15-Oct-20 21:12:04

£7 an hour is very low - £10 should be the lowest per hour.

Chapeau Thu 15-Oct-20 21:46:49

grannyrebel7
If the lady is on benefits then her NI will be paid automatically. It's probably the case that she's asking £7 an hour so she does not go above the earnings threshold allowed for benefit claimants. However, there is nothing to stop you making up her wage with a 'gift'. You could give her £5/6 worth of groceries each week. This would no longer be slave labour.

grannyrebel7 Thu 15-Oct-20 22:23:00

Great answers everyone. I'll let my sister know what you all said.

Shizam Thu 15-Oct-20 22:51:24

As a comparison. I don’t have a cleaner. But do pay a gardener to sort hedges, lawn, etc. Not a massive plot. He and another guy do it in half an hour. When son and I did it, took us three/four hours. And messed up my hand in process. I pay him £30 cash. Think expensive, but fairly sure your cleaner is under-valuing her services. Again, as I say, as a comparison.

Harris27 Fri 16-Oct-20 07:54:01

Yes travelsfar agree with you.

Harris27 Fri 16-Oct-20 07:57:20

Shazam . £30 isn’t expensive for a gardener after all it took you four hours and they did it in half an hour because they’re younger and probaky quicker. I always say pay for stuff you can’t do as it’s a task less for yourself.

TerriBull Fri 16-Oct-20 08:14:03

Haven't read all the posts, my husband who hired our cleaner, pays her £12 an hour, £7 an hour seems fairly low. He, my husband always paid her during the lock down when she couldn't come. She offloaded an introductory woman/intermediary who introduced her and who was skimming off a couple of pounds from the women she secured work for, that was a few years ago when she had very little English, she's practically fluent now. Her and her husband work damn hard, they've managed to buy their own house. We've no idea whether she declares her money or not, we are not her judge and jury, we do know we completely trust her in our home, enough to leave her a key when we went away.

Fennel Fri 16-Oct-20 12:43:28

We have a young Romanian woman as a cleaner. She's a single Mum with 2 young children. Their father has 'gone'.
We pay her £12.50 ph. She does a good job.
We have given her several extras.
She has 3 other cleaning jobs.
She seems to be able to get free health care and schooling for her children, but I wonder if there will be any changes after Brexit?
Does anyone know?

happycatholicwife1 Fri 16-Oct-20 21:04:07

Wow!! As a matter of fact, the £7 per hour is more like £10/11per IF she paid tax. Agree, it seems low, but don't be so quick to judge. Sometimes you make people afraid or insult them if you ask about their personal status. Lots of virtue signaling here.

NotSpaghetti Sat 17-Oct-20 17:35:41

widgeon3 - a lot of cleaners are self-employed so that makes them responsible for their own taxes.

Rainwashed Sun 18-Oct-20 18:55:18

Give the woman a break, how does your sister know she doesn’t pay tax anyway . Could be as simple as someone saying “ do you pay tax” cleaner says no, because as others have said she doesn’t earn enough to do so.

dortie145 Tue 20-Oct-20 08:44:32

What a sanctimonious lot! Go through an agency and pay £12 per hour that will make you feel better I am sure. People do what they can to get by she can work and not pay tax if she earns so little it doesn't qualify on benefits or not.

quizqueen Tue 20-Oct-20 08:59:09

For people who think it's okay to claim benefits and work on the side and not pay tax, where do you think the money comes from to pay for the services you're always complaining about losing and other welfare payments? From the cash in hand person to the big companies or rich individuals cheating the system, it's still wrong.

Davidhs Tue 20-Oct-20 10:57:10

Using an agency may make you feel better but it is no assurance that the rules are not being broken. Dodgy agencies abound, anything where payment is made in cash are suspect, street markets, taxis, cleaners, gardeners, etc. Most independent cleaners are working within the rules, if I was looking for tax dodgers I’d look much higher up the scale.

GillT57 Tue 20-Oct-20 14:37:55

Lots of assumptions going on. Firstly, because the cleaner says she doesn't pay tax, this doesn't mean she is 'dodging' it, it is more likely that she doesn't earn enough. Secondly, she is allowed, in fact encouraged, to work while claiming top up benefits, it isn't the case where you work or don't work. Thirdly, very few people with a family are able to work on minimum wage (let alone below it) without getting some sort of top up. Fourthly, the person who said that £12 an hour was more than she was paid as a manager; you were on an annual salary, the cleaner isn't, she only gets paid for working, not for traveling, no holidays, no sick pay. She is unlikely to be working more than 4 or 5 hours a day if she has school age children. I used to own a cleaning company, my staff were all employed, got 5.5 weeks paid holiday, sick pay, maternity pay, and travel expenses, they were insured as were the clients' homes and I can assure you that even leaving out the overheads and my small salary, everyone should be paying around £12.50 an hour minimum. If you are unhappy about the potential for 'benefit fraud' then pay direct to the cleaner's bank account.