Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hostile Stepdaughter - Don’t know What to do

(129 Posts)
Jaffacakes Wed 14-Oct-20 14:08:51

Help Please !
I have been married to my second husband now for 21 years. I first met him in 1998. When we first met I was divorced and had been on my own happily for 12 years. My children were then 23 & 19, my eldest daughter had left home and was happy pursuing her career & my youngest son had just started university. My now husband had been separated from his then wife for 5 years they had sold the family home and divided the assets and each had their own home. It was his first wife who wanted their marriage to end. His children were 10, 15 & 18 when I first him. The children lived with their mum during the week and my husband had them to stay every weekend. I was first introduced to his children 11 months after meeting him. The youngest son who was 10 seemed to quite like me but the older 2 were very reserved which I could quite understand. I was extremely careful about not over encroaching on their family time at weekends and would occasionally just pop in and say hello and spend an hour or so with them all to try & get to know them. After 2 years of us being together my now husband asked his first wife for a divorce, they had then been separated for 7 years by then and he told her he had asked me to marry him. The divorce proceedings started, my husband offered an extremely generous divorce package which was accepted, but it was then that his soon to be ex wife started to hurl awful abuse towards me. His daughter then started to be very hostile towards me and would have nothing to do with me. I asked to meet with his ex wife as I couldn’t understand why all this anger was being aimed at me. At the meeting his ex wife told me very clearly that all the children really disliked me, she also said she still cared very much for her ex husband. I was very polite to her but then she got up said she should never have agreed to meet me & stormed off. This episode really did make me wobble. My husbands mother & his sisters & my own chikdren were all extremely supportive of my relationship with my now husband and said you must just get on with your own lives. We went on to marry, his younger son spent many happy weekends & long school holidays with us but the older 2 children would have nothing to do with me. My husband would meet up separately with his 2 older children without me. His eldest daughter who is now in her forties comes to the the house but treats me as if I didn’t exist and on some occasions just completely ignores me. She’s civil but has no interest in talking to me In fact I feel extremely uncomfortable in my own home when she visits. I always go out of my way to try & make her & her 3 children feel welcome. I will always make cakes and biscuits for the little ones as I want them to have a lovely time with their Grandfather. My hope is that one day she might accept me but perhaps not. I am sorry if I have waffled on, but I really do find her attitude towards me extremely upsetting and I still don’t know how to deal with it. My husband tells me to just ignore her behaviour. The older I get the harder it seems to get. I would be most grateful for any advice. Thank you.

Chewbacca Wed 14-Oct-20 18:00:55

Everything you have said is perfectly acceptable and legitimate trisher, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that the step daughter has to like Jaffacakes. But common courtesy is that when you go into someone else's home, you don't behave in such a way that you make the home owner feel awkward and uncomfortable. Step daughter isn't a petulant teenager, she's a middle aged woman who is probably a home owner herself. So either be behave like the mature adult she's supposed to be or meet her father outside of the home he shares with Jaffacakes. It's not difficult.

Starblaze Wed 14-Oct-20 18:11:12

This is horrible for you but if things are at least civil, I'd maybe just absolve yourself of any responsibility to fix it. Keep up the nice gestures for the children and your husband but let go of having a close relationship.

Keep being kind and nothing can ever reflect badly on you. Get between your husband and his daughter and all sorts of issues may arise

Namsnanny Wed 14-Oct-20 18:40:53

I really think your H should try to see things from your pov.

Although, thinking about it, its probably too late to confront his daughter at this stage in her life, and will only give her more ammunition to use against you. Or simply more stress for your H.

If it were me, after all this time dancing on eggshells, I would either ask my husband to respect my position as his wife, and meet his daughter out somewhere.
For at least half of the visits.
Or quietly and with as much dignity as I could muster, serve the cakes and biscuits and say something like

Well you two go on and enjoy your time together, with my blessing, but I'm going out/watching tv in the other room now because I am not included.

By being genuine and non confrontational, and taking control of the situation, you will have shown her (and of course your H) that you recognise this treatment as bullying.
By withdrawing from the situation you have shown self worth.

Give up on trying to form a better relationship with her from now on.
Accept the situation for what it is.

Best of luck

Namsnanny Wed 14-Oct-20 19:01:21

^His daughter started being hostile to me ......
Treats me as if I dont exist and even ignores me (in the ops own home)^

trisha All we have are the comments from the op which point in a certain direction, and as we dont have the daughters point of view we cant judge.

trisher Wed 14-Oct-20 19:30:50

^ She’s civil but has no interest in talking to me In fact I feel extremely uncomfortable in my own home when she visits.^
The OP has said she is civil. But the daughter doesn't want a relationship wth her why should she?
There is obviously a long history of family disagreement. Ex-husbands often insist it was the wife who wanted the separation, unfortunately sometimes it isn't true. There are two sides to every story. It sounds as if the daughter hasn't had a good relationship with her father so maybe she is just managing to reestablish that relationship and taking the OP into account is still too much for her. It can take people long past their 40s to come to terms with parental absence.

Chewbacca Wed 14-Oct-20 20:34:44

Her father had left the family home 4 years before he met Jaffacakes and 7 years before he married her. By then, the daughter would have been either 19/23 or 23/27, depending upon which of the 2 daughters this is. Doesn't matter how young/old you are, it's not acceptable behaviour to make someone feel uncomfortable in their own home.

Madgran77 Wed 14-Oct-20 20:40:00

If she is civil I would suggest that you carry on with treats for the children, being welcoming but not overly gushing (not saying that you are); make tea or whatever, stay for a short time and then say that you have things to do and go off elsewhere in the house. You shouldn't have to do that in your own house, but for your husbands sake it might be best. Only you and he can decide that though, and it should be a joint decision.

Having said that, I do think that the daughter, as a woman in her forties, should not be making someone feel awkward in their own home, not ignoring someone, should be showing a polite level of appreciation of efforts made for her children. As Chewbacca and others have said, that seems like common courtesy to me.

I think trisher could have a point too for consideration ….*It sounds as if the daughter hasn't had a good relationship with her father so maybe she is just managing to re-establish that relationship and taking the OP into account is still too much for her* Doesn't necessarily excuse the behaviour but might help in understanding it.

Maybe settle for civil and don't expect more? flowers

MissAdventure Wed 14-Oct-20 20:50:22

It's possible to be perfectly civil and create a terrible atmosphere at the same time.

Jaffacakes Wed 14-Oct-20 21:16:08

Thank you again for all your responses. As Trisha points out I am sure my husbands daughter does see me in a very negative light and only wants a relationship with her father ( which I have never interfered with ) she has clearly demonstrated that she is totally disinterested and defiantly does not want any connection with me and that is her prerogative. Also as Trisha points out my step daughter didn’t need a step mother, she has a mother, I have certainly never tried to to put myself in that position. Also, why should she like me just because I’m married to her father..... She doesn’t , but she knows absolutely nothing about me and she clearly doesn’t want to know anything about me. For over twenty years I have endured her unfriendliness towards me in my own home and it does become very waring. I look at the relationship my own children & grandchildren have with my husband which has always been one of warmth & friendliness and it just seems so sad to me that my relationship with his daughter or her children will never be like that. As pointed out I don’t expect anything is likely to change now and I must accept that is how it is.
Thank you all.....

Chewbacca Wed 14-Oct-20 21:19:01

MissAdventure

It's possible to be perfectly civil and create a terrible atmosphere at the same time.

Nothing like a bit of icy civility to create an atmosphere.

trisher Wed 14-Oct-20 22:03:35

Some of you seem to have no idea about the degree of damage some children suffer when parents split up and the long term effects of that. It can be dealt with of course but that requires a commitment on the part of the child and some people refuse to do that, it does mean that the hurt remains. The daughter was 13 when her father and mother split.
Jaffacakes I'm sure you have absolutely the best intentions but your efforts may be adding to the problem. Please just step back and let things be. The relationship between this woman and her father is fragile, it probably wouldn't take much to destroy it. Possibly the relationship your husband has with your children is also an irritation to her. She is behaving badly, but it is probably the result of feeling left out and unloved I know you are trying to make up with her, but the problem is, it isn't your love she wants, it's her father's. Inside the forty year old woman you see is a distressed girl missing her father and looking for someone to blame, unfortunately that has become you. She may see all your kind actions as a way of ingratiating yourself. None of this is your fault but she may not see it that way. Families are never the happy things we wish they were. Sometimes we just have to accept they are broken. Try to be happy with the rest of yours and leave the daughter to her father. They may or may not reach a place where you are welcomed.

Hithere Wed 14-Oct-20 22:37:33

Stepdaughter and OP never got along and it has been decades since OP and her husband met.

I think that asking stepdaughter to change now is unrealistic - no matter how unreasonable stepdaughter may be

We also do know the impact that that the separation and divorce had on the stepdaughter.

I would act as civil to her as she is acting towards the OP - hello and goodbye.
Stop trying to get her to like the OP and have a resemblance of a relationship, that ship sailed a long time ago.

What is your dh doing to improve this? He is not an innocent bystander here

Liljan Thu 15-Oct-20 08:32:31

Trisher I see what you are saying but disagree totally. These are adult children who have known OP for 20+ years. The daughter should respect OP in her own home. If she can’t be civil then she should meet her dad out with the OP’s home (daughter could invite him to her home). I too have gone through a similar experience, met my husband years after he’d separated and had adult children. They live some distance away so I leave the house when there are visits as I want him to have a relationship with his family and see his grandchildren... much better than being snubbed in my own home or causing my husband distress because his children don’t act appropriately around me. We have been married for 15 years. OP happy to support if you want to pm me.

Cabbie21 Thu 15-Oct-20 08:51:17

In my situation which has similarities, I only ever meet my stepdaughter on neutral territory for a family event, where she is civil. Apart from that, her father meets up with her away from our home. Seems the best way to avoid hostilities.

25Avalon Thu 15-Oct-20 08:52:22

She doesn’t like you and she only comes to your home to see her Dad. You are I’m afraid a necessary evil through no fault of your own. Maybe you are trying too hard to get her to like you and as others have said need to step back. Perhaps she would prefer to meet her Dad on her own but feels it would be wrong as you are his wife. Have you thought of asking her what she would like?

gmarie Thu 15-Oct-20 09:22:34

Jaffacakes, to me it sounds like you have done everything you can in this situation to give your husband, his daughter and the grandchildren space to be together and that you've endeavored to be polite and kind without being overbearing or solicitous. I would also have a difficult time being made to feel unwelcome in my own home. I'm guessing that the feelings of resentment simmer silently more and more as time goes on. You probably will not be able to change anything at this point so, if it was me, I'd do something along the lines of what Namsnanny suggested:

quietly and with as much dignity as I could muster, serve the cakes and biscuits and say something like Well you two go on and enjoy your time together, with my blessing, but I'm going out/watching tv in the other room now because I am not included. By being genuine and non confrontational, and taking control of the situation, you will have shown her (and of course your H) that you recognise this treatment as bullying. By withdrawing from the situation you have shown self worth.

Decades ago I was in a situation that I knew wasn't going to change and the hurt and indignation I was continually subjected felt like a slow burn. I decided on a short and polite but direct communication of my thoughts and feelings and felt much better afterward! Maybe if you didn't feel like you had to swallow your own feelings, going off to read a book in the other room or taking time with friends would be a fun diversion. As a side benefit, both your husband and stepdaughter would be made very aware of the reason for your absence from their company in each future visit.

Alexa Thu 15-Oct-20 10:55:32

Was it your husband who told you " It was his first wife who wanted their marriage to end" ?

Well he would, wouldn't he!

Respect her and her daughter's feelings. She perhaps needs her daughter's loyalty. Keep away from her children is that is what she wants

Namsnanny Thu 15-Oct-20 12:02:54

MissAdventure
it is possible to be civil and create a terrible atmosphere at the same time

I would call it passive aggressive behaviour.

Namsnanny Thu 15-Oct-20 12:15:27

Alexa

Was it your husband who told you " It was his first wife who wanted their marriage to end" ?

Well he would, wouldn't he!

Respect her and her daughter's feelings. She perhaps needs her daughter's loyalty. Keep away from her children is that is what she wants

Akexa I dont see any disrespect in Jaffacskes actions. In fact i see the complete opposite.

But from what we have been told it's her step daughter who is disrespectful.

Dont forget jaffacakes owes the first family nothing.
She wasn't the cause of the breakup.
It could be argued that she has been instrumental in benefiting the daughter and father's current relationship.

Hithere Thu 15-Oct-20 12:55:31

"quietly and with as much dignity as I could muster, serve the cakes and biscuits and say something like Well you two go on and enjoy your time together, with my blessing, but I'm going out/watching tv in the other room now because I am not included. By being genuine and non confrontational, and taking control of the situation,"

Horrible, terrible suggestion.
Comes across as martyr-victim attitude-poor me- passive aggresive that will make the whole situation much worse.
This is not genuine and taking control of the situation at all.
If I am already annoyed at somebody and they say that, I would be rolling my eyes so bad internally

If anything, stepdaughter would know she is pushing your buttons

MissAdventure Thu 15-Oct-20 13:04:15

I would just tell my husband that as from whenever (they may need notice in advance) visitors will be expected to show some respect, or else they can go elsewhere.

Smileless2012 Thu 15-Oct-20 13:12:22

I would do the same MissA and applaud Jaffacakes' patience. I'd have done so a long time ago.

trisher Thu 15-Oct-20 13:22:34

The step daughter may well have been told a different story about the maarriage failure. She may also have been her mother's main support after the break up. She may feel if she establishes any sort of relationship with Jaffacakesshe would be betraying her mother.

Smileless2012 Thu 15-Oct-20 13:24:19

In that case she should arrange to meet her father outside of the home he's been sharing with his second wife for 21 years.

Jaffacakes Thu 15-Oct-20 13:52:47

Once again, I do thank you all for your responses which have all been very helpful. At this moment in time I know that I must find within myself a different way of reacting to her behaviour towards me and if that means withdrawing myself from the situation then that is what I must now do. Yes, I most probably have tried too hard in the past but this was only because I wanted her & her children to feel welcome in my home. I know I can’t change how she feels towards and as several of you have pointed out I now need to give up on trying to form any sort of relationship with her and accept the situation for what it is.
Once again, thank you all ?