Gransnet forums

AIBU

Help! What to wear at my wedding!

(36 Posts)
Warmthlover Thu 15-Oct-20 11:04:21

My long-term partner and I are getting married in our village church in December. I’m just 70 and since I retired, I wear little other than joggers and jumpers, slippers or wellingtons. I can’t remember the last time I bought (or needed) anything smart to wear. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a suitable style of clothing I could buy and which brands (not too expensive!) to look at?

Callistemon Thu 15-Oct-20 18:21:55

If you are a trousers person, you may feel uncomfortable in a dress which could require you to wear heels too.
However, that coat is lovely and you could wear boots if you wanted to.

I did go to a winter wedding where the bride wore a long cream dress covered by a cream velvet cloak with a large hood; it did look beautiful and unusual, but she was a bit younger (50s) and carried it off well.

Nortsat Thu 15-Oct-20 18:17:27

I’d go for a smart trouser suit, which I would expect to get plenty of other wear from.
I would dress it up with a lovely silk or lace shawl, to look a bit wedding-ey.

I got married in 2014, after living together for 38 years. I wore smart trousers and a dressy top. I have worn everything, including the shoes, many times since - on holiday, out for meals, to family parties and events.
My aim would be something classic.
Have a good root through M&S, Debenhams and House of Fraser, on line, as they often have discounts and offers. Do it now so that you can return things that don’t work.

Congratulations, have a happy day.?

V3ra Thu 15-Oct-20 17:10:43

Ooh another vote for that fabulous velvet coat ?
It has a fur trimmed hood in case the weather's cold, so you wouldn't need a hat which would be easier on your hair.
You could wear a nice long-sleeved dress under it and look very elegant and sophisticated ?

Patsy70 Thu 15-Oct-20 16:41:34

I would opt for the Julie Christie (Chrustie grin look, Warmthlover. It is the right time of year to wear something long and lush - dress & coat, tights and long or ankle boots. No patterned or lacy tops, but maybe a bold colour, whatever happens to suit you, with a beautiful, fur-trimmed hat. The groom could wear a tie to match the bold colour of your outfit. Many congratulations and please let us know what you decide. (Incidentally, I work in a charity shop and there are bargains to be had. Also, you can return them if you change your mind within 14 days, they are then held for 72 hours before being steamed and hung in the shop.)

BlueBelle Thu 15-Oct-20 16:36:00

Big congratulations Warmthlover

Oh don’t go for a white wedding dress unless you really want to Personally I m not keen on capes but if you like them then that would look fine
I m another who loves Joe Brown stuff they do come up a bit small though so get it in plenty of time for a return if needed
I also agree that Camilla usually looks very nice and not overstated
Whatever you decide on have a lovely day

Jaxjacky Thu 15-Oct-20 15:58:21

Wool trousers, cashmere jumper, ankle boots and cape, thermal lacy t shirt and tights underneath. You’ll probably get use of them all later...maybe not the cape, unless you fancy being an action hero! I think it’s all in the fabric, you’d be warm.

ExD Thu 15-Oct-20 15:18:04

All I can say is that (personally) I think you should avoid the white/cream lacy 'elderly wedding dress'.
My friend wore a navy long sleeved dress with a full(ish) skirt under a navy cape with a white 'fur' stand-up collar, topped off with a navy fascinator. She's short and not very slim and she looked lovely. She did admit she's never worn the cape again.
Yes it was a bit Dr Zhivago, but none the worse for that.
I'm desperately looking for a photo but they must be on my old computer.

Illte Thu 15-Oct-20 15:12:42

Yes a great user name Fanny ? I may ask for a change?

trisher Thu 15-Oct-20 15:03:12

Thanks Jane10 . It reminds me of one I had in the 70s. It was black and white tweed not velvet but it had fur around the hem, collar and sleeves I loved it.
Funny it is very Dr Zhivago as well.
But where would I wear it now ???

Jane10 Thu 15-Oct-20 14:53:52

Trisher that Joe Brown coat is gorgeous.

2020convert Thu 15-Oct-20 14:49:31

Warmthlover. You sound as if you are more comfortable in cosy, casual, warm clothes, nothing too formal? What about your partner? What sort of clothes is he likely to want to wear? You should both go for what you are comfortable with. Depending on where you live, I should check out charity shops I wouldn’t want to spend a lot on something I wouldn’t be happy to wear again. Some have special sections for mother of the bride type things. BTW a friend got married years ago in winter, in a village, it snowed and she did end up walking to the church in her wedding dress and wellies. When I got married nearly fifty years ago on a v snowy January day, I wore shoes and nearly took off on the stone flags outside the church. Good Luck and enjoy the day

EllanVannin Thu 15-Oct-20 14:49:18

If that was me I'd look like an Eskimo in the December weather grin
I'd certainly have a hooded fur-trimmed long cape in whatever colour suits you.

FannyCornforth Thu 15-Oct-20 14:43:59

Riverwalk

Julie Chrustie grin

That would make a fabulous user name.

Warmthlover Thu 15-Oct-20 14:39:44

Thank you all for your suggestions (and your congratulations!). Plenty to work on here - brands I wouldn’t have thought of and I do like the idea of a Julie Christie/Dr Zhivago look....

Riverwalk Thu 15-Oct-20 14:35:35

anno, not that I've done much shopping recently but have found that the small independent clothes shops are letting you try on - then clean them with a hand steamer.

annodomini Thu 15-Oct-20 14:34:16

PS If you manage to get an outfit in your favourite colour, why not buy a matching tie for your groom.

annodomini Thu 15-Oct-20 14:32:06

It's likely that you won't at present, be able to try on garments in shops because of Covid9. Are you confident enough of your measurements to choose literally 'off the peg'? If you have access to a good dressmaker and can find a fabric and design you like, that could be an answer to your problem

Riverwalk Thu 15-Oct-20 14:28:11

Julie Chrustie grin

Madgran77 Thu 15-Oct-20 14:27:46

PS M&S have great winter jumpsuit in at the mo, saw it yesterday

Madgran77 Thu 15-Oct-20 14:27:13

Trousers suit with a contrasting/patterned blouse in favourite colours. Maybe a pashmina round the shoulders for extra warmth. Or a jumpsuit with contrasting jacket/pashmina? Congratulations.

LauraNorder Thu 15-Oct-20 14:26:42

Long plain woollen dress in your favourite colour with a faux fur hat, scarf and muff.
Soft leather boots.
Thermal underwear though?

FlyingHxndbag Thu 15-Oct-20 14:17:26

I think a long dress from Monsoon or similar with a nice jacket or pashmina would be beautiful, or a jumpsuit and jacket or pashmina Another option would be a fine knit jumper with a skirt, opaque tights and ankle boots. A fur coat would also be lovely if wearing a dress or jumpsuit.
Or a nice trouser suit or skirt suit with shoes with a small heel.
Another option would be a jumper with a visible collar from a blouse underneath, preferably with gems on the collar. This could be paired with a skirt or trousers.
Something else that would be lovely would be wide leg trousers with a silk camisole and a blazer.
Have you thought about shoes, I would go with a small heel.
Have a look at pinterest for ideas. X

trisher Thu 15-Oct-20 13:53:46

Joe Browns Have some lovely velvet coats, one with fur on hem and collar.
Not cheap but a real stand out coat www.joebrowns.co.uk/devilish-red-coat-wj395#colour=751

Illte Thu 15-Oct-20 13:10:04

Oh dear midgey. Freudian slip? ?

FannyCornforth Thu 15-Oct-20 12:13:46

Congratulations!
We need more information please.
Are you a skirt/ dress or trouser person?
What are your best features?
Which colours do you favour?
Whose style do you admire (famous people that you think always 'look nice')?
What type of shoe will you feel most
comfortable in?