Gransnet forums

AIBU

Read the posts

(69 Posts)
sodapop Thu 15-Oct-20 12:38:47

I don't think I am being unreasonable in asking why posters don't read all the posts in a thread or the OPs responses. There are at least two active threads where posts are repeated or people make suggestions to the OP which they have already done.

Lucca Thu 15-Oct-20 14:24:31

phoenix

I'm pretty sure that a few days ago when to person who started the thread came back to post, their responses were highlighted in green, but now it's stopped.

Does anyone else remember it?

No but I wish it happened.

Marydoll Thu 15-Oct-20 14:31:26

Unfortunately not allowed??????, but I will have some ?????? instead!

Baggs Thu 15-Oct-20 14:39:44

What an irritable bunch!

I really don't see what's so awful about someone saying what you've said already. Why shouldn't they? It happens a lot in "real" life and damages no-one.

Why shouldn't someone just reply to the opening post of a thread? Especially if it's a question. I'm pretty sure that's all that's happening. The fuss people keep on making (there are loads of these complaining threads) is astonishing. It strikes me as rather possessive (the cheek! I said that first; it's mine!) and a little bit arrogant (how dare someone say what I said?).

Doodledog Thu 15-Oct-20 14:50:01

It's really not about that, Baggs. It's that people take time to respond (taking into account the development of the thread, noting what has been added to the OP) and then the next replies take no account of that whatsoever, and just respond to the OP, which will often not have all the information in it.

Subsequent replies do the same, and nothing makes any progress. What's the point of someone asking advice if the thread is going to go round and round because people can't be bothered to read the posts and see what has already been suggested but wouldn't work for whatever reason?

People will obviously agree with previous posts at times, and want to say so, but that's not the same thing at all. 'I agree with X - I did that and it worked really well' or whatever is adding something to the thread. It is agreeing with a suggesting that has already been discounted that is a bit pointless. It might have seemed a good idea, but if the OP has already said that it's not feasible in the circumstances, there is nothing to be gained by lots of posts suggesting it over and over, particularly when the thread has moved on since it as first mooted.

Baggs Thu 15-Oct-20 14:54:32

Another thought: if the OP is a question or a request for advice, repeated answers saying more or less the same thing could be quite helpful by showing a sort of common denominator.

Bit like repeated expressions of sympathy or congratulation.

Baggs Thu 15-Oct-20 14:56:07

So just leave a thread if it’s going round in circles, doodle. What’s difficult about that?

Baggs Thu 15-Oct-20 14:57:33

Or, if there are developments as well, skim read the repetitive stuff and get your teeth into the meat of the subject. That’s not difficult either.

EllanVannin Thu 15-Oct-20 14:58:50

I just have to watch my mouth grin

Baggs Thu 15-Oct-20 15:08:09

PS doodle, that wasn't directed just at you. I should have said "people can just...." to make that clearer.

Daddima Thu 15-Oct-20 15:11:42

I’ve actually given up answering some questions, like when a poster asks for advice on what to do about something, only to get replies detailing how much worse other posters’ experiences were of the same thing, but no advice given, which is what the poster asked for.
There are also the ones where a poster gives a small bit of information, and is immediately met with...’ It sounds to me as if.......’, and then ‘ You need to’ do such and such.
Sadly, it seems to me to be a continuation online of the lack of listening in real conversations, where you see people who can’t wait to put their ‘two penn’orth’ in before actually listening to what the other person has to say.
( I know, I am a grumpy old woman!)

Doodledog Thu 15-Oct-20 15:12:00

From what's been said, I think people do (leave the thread). Which is a shame, really, if the OP hasn't got to the bottom of what she's asking about.

sodapop Thu 15-Oct-20 15:40:56

I am pretty sure this has been said before so I apologise, on my tablet all the OP posts on a thread are highlighted in green. My responses are highlighted in pink/purple. Does make things a lot easier. On my phone however nothing is highlighted.

Kate1949 Thu 15-Oct-20 15:50:56

I was guilty of this on the joggers thread. blush I was trying to be helpful and jumped in too quickly. My excuse is that I'm bored and was excited to see something I could contribute to smile

Marydoll Thu 15-Oct-20 16:07:03

Kate, I'm just a grumpy old woman, today!! ? Ignore me!

Kate1949 Thu 15-Oct-20 16:21:07

Mary grin To be honest, sometimes when I post and someone further down posts the same as me I get a bit annoyed!

felice Thu 15-Oct-20 16:29:05

From now on every time I post anything I will post, 'I AM A BELGO-SCOT first.
Could be interesting !!
Probably get asked where Belgo is wink

Toadinthehole Thu 15-Oct-20 16:40:29

I’m very guilty of not reading all the posts. Some are just too long, and I know that’s already been said! I ‘pretend’ it’s just me and the poster, and I answer them as such. I’ve said that before too?.

Madgran77 Thu 15-Oct-20 16:43:01

Marydoll I have added ???? to my ??

BlueBelle Thu 15-Oct-20 16:46:03

It drives me crackers and I have said so, but no one listens
It’s nothing to do with a few posts coming up while you’re posting that can happen quite easily and isn’t a problem

If it s a long thread and you haven’t time to read all the answers at very LEAST read any subsequent posts from the original poster
Recently there was a thread about a party, someone queried (rightly) how can you have a party in lockdown Original poster came back and stated very clearly that she lived in Australia and they were allowed 30 people The thread then continued with countless people telling her she could only have 6 people..I was close to hitting my head on the wall
It’s extremely frustrating and rude

Lucca Thu 15-Oct-20 16:54:34

sodapop

I am pretty sure this has been said before so I apologise, on my tablet all the OP posts on a thread are highlighted in green. My responses are highlighted in pink/purple. Does make things a lot easier. On my phone however nothing is highlighted.

Not on mine sadly, is there a way to set that up ?

janeainsworth Thu 15-Oct-20 17:09:11

Sodapop I agree with your OP too.
But when I expressed the same thought in a thread a few weeks ago, I was told off for my ‘censorious’ attitude.
So beware wink

Callistemon Thu 15-Oct-20 17:31:32

Glorybee Thu 15-Oct-20 14:05:07
Yes!
And some posts can be very loooooong.

Has someone said that already?

sodapop Thu 15-Oct-20 20:41:33

It's ok janeainsworth I'm a tough old bird as my husband keeps telling me grin

sodapop Thu 15-Oct-20 20:55:10

Lucca I'm sorry I have absolutely no idea how the highlighting thing works. It just happens on my tablet. Can you tell I'm a really IT aware person ?

Chewbacca Thu 15-Oct-20 21:10:18

Kate1949

Mary grin To be honest, sometimes when I post and someone further down posts the same as me I get a bit annoyed!

Yes! This grinds my gears too! On a thread a few days ago, I posted by two pennorth and anot her poster followed by quoting my post and saying "I agree with this". Someone else came along the following day and said that the person who had (and referred to them by name) quoted me, was "the only person who had said anything sensible"! grin