Gransnet forums

AIBU

Read the posts

(69 Posts)
sodapop Thu 15-Oct-20 12:38:47

I don't think I am being unreasonable in asking why posters don't read all the posts in a thread or the OPs responses. There are at least two active threads where posts are repeated or people make suggestions to the OP which they have already done.

Kandinsky Thu 15-Oct-20 21:18:48

I never read the entire thread before posting, in fact, I only read the op plus maybe the 1st few replies, unless it’s a really short thread ( less than a page )
Tbh I don’t bother adding to a thread a couple of pages long as I know whatever I was going to say has already been said ( probably more than once! grin )

kittylester Thu 15-Oct-20 21:29:08

felice

From now on every time I post anything I will post, 'I AM A BELGO-SCOT first.
Could be interesting !!
Probably get asked where Belgo is wink

What is a BELGO SCOT, felice?

ValerieF Thu 15-Oct-20 21:51:31

This is very much a failing in Gransnet. Nobody can respond to individual posts. People respond to generic posts that may be way back or not applicable any longer. This is for Gransnet to sort out. Why can't people respond to individual posts like as in other forums? I know this has been requested before and ignored.

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 15-Oct-20 22:05:28

I read them if there not too many comments e.g. 20ish. I definitely don't read them all if there are 107 (cleaners) !

I haven't read all 54 here. So my reply has been made after reading only the OP and the last comment.

Sorry sodapop if my comment is a duplicate of another's.

BlueBelle Fri 16-Oct-20 05:19:56

valerieF exactly HQ won’t do anything Sensible ever requested

If people can’t be bothered to even skim read why post woodmouse a debate or even answers to a problem surely rely on others answers as much as the question

I don’t have time to read all answers on a long thread but I do try and do a quick skim read and a deeper read if I see a valid point or an Original posters addition if I can’t do that I don’t post Surely is only manners and common sense
If someone was telling you a problem in real life would you interrupt with your own two penneth without having listened

Doodledog Fri 16-Oct-20 06:18:02

Agreed, BlueBelle. Ironically, the long threads that people find offputting would be a lot shorter if not for all the repetitive posts grin.

Marydoll Fri 16-Oct-20 06:26:03

Bluebelle, ?

felice Fri 16-Oct-20 07:22:38

Kittylester, haha, at least I hope that was tongue in cheekwink

Spangler Fri 16-Oct-20 07:25:53

kittylester Thu 15-Oct-20 21:29:08
What is a BELGO SCOT, felice?

Or to be more precise, a Belgo-French-Scot, or a Belgo-Flemish-Scot?

dragonfly46 Fri 16-Oct-20 07:28:19

Oh dear I agree with Baggs.

felice Fri 16-Oct-20 07:31:32

Brusseloise, so a bit of both. Although the dialect is impossible.

Sparkling Fri 16-Oct-20 07:32:35

I feel it unreasonable reading through every post on a subject, you look at original post and perhaps at couple of pages of responses then, if you have some thing to say post yourself.

Marydoll Fri 16-Oct-20 07:43:46

I often wonder if the OP feels offended, when people can't be bothered to read the whole thread, then come on and offer their opinion. In my opinion it's rude.
You wouldn't stop someone mid conversation to say, Look I'm bored listening to you, so I will just give you my opinion now and leave!

Lucca Fri 16-Oct-20 08:08:26

So do I understand that some people read the OP and add their own comment and that’s it ? I guess it means you don’t spend more than a few minutes on GN !

BlueBelle Fri 16-Oct-20 08:12:25

The answer surely is don’t take part in long threads if you haven’t the time or patience to read them as I said before skim read if nothing else I don’t sit and read word for word but I get the gist of others opinions otherwise I d leave the thread well alone
This is not aimed at anyone in particular but I think if you can’t be bothered to read others opinions you are really only interested in your own views and are the equivalent of the person in a (live) group who doesn’t want to listen to anyone else but feel their own view is the only important one

Lucca Fri 16-Oct-20 08:16:31

Good post Bluebelle.

sodapop Fri 16-Oct-20 08:58:57

I agree with Marydoll and BlueBelle it is more respectful to read the posts, especially the ones from the OP which often give further information.

Chewbacca Fri 16-Oct-20 09:20:54

Agree with BlueBelle too. And Doodledog.