Gransnet forums

AIBU

My friend has multible support bubbles

(123 Posts)
ExD Mon 19-Oct-20 12:26:36

Have I got it wrong?
My friend says she has three bubbles, one with each of her three daughters and their families, so she can have all three in her house at the same time and not break any rules? (We ate tier 2).
Have I been restricting myself all this time by visiting only my married daughter but not my married son who is in a bubble with his in-laws and who we see only in his garden?

ExD Mon 19-Oct-20 20:10:15

holiday chalet

tickingbird Mon 19-Oct-20 20:15:14

I’m absolutely fed up of it. I’m in a high risk area but many people seem completely unaware or they just don’t want to know. All neighbours and a few friends are just carrying on regardless. One ‘friend’ told me she doesn’t follow the news channels anymore and refuses to live her life in fear! It makes me despair, it really does.

Kamiso Mon 19-Oct-20 20:37:19

Surely at least one of your friend’s daughters must realise they are being disingenuous and putting themselves and their mother at risk.

People locally are using words like punished, as if they are being singled out personally. They are actually boasting on local groups about flouting the rules that they don’t think apply to them. Idiotic to be flouting them anyway and doubly stupid to admit it on public forums. The authorities need to make an example of them.

Should they be allowed to take up a hospital bed if they bring it on themselves?

ExD Tue 20-Oct-20 10:23:53

Good point Kamiso (about the hospital beds).

CleoPanda Tue 20-Oct-20 10:44:22

Maybe someone needs to produce a public service short video to be screened at the start of the most watched programmes?
I sometimes feel that we are a nation of pathetic selfish idiots - unable to grasp simple ideas about restricting contacts in order to halt a pandemic.
Maybe if the fines for flouting were huge? Public humiliation threatened? Examples of bad behaviour on TV?
Having been very ill in May, and last week losing my dear MIL to Covid, I am very sensitive to all these stupid, reckless, thoughtless actions.
I am positive that I would report any flouting I observed -maybe a talking to by the police would wake some people up?
Ignoring really dangerous behaviour helps nobody.

Sparklefizz Tue 20-Oct-20 11:06:44

Do people actually PAY these fines? Piers Corbyn was supposed to have been fined £10,000 for organising one of his rallies, yet he was reported organising yet another one the following week! Did he pay that first £10,000? Was he fined a 2nd £10,000?

M0nica Tue 20-Oct-20 21:15:02

I doubt if huge fines do any good. They just become unreal. For example those three students fined £10,000 each. They probably already have £10s of thousands of student fees and loans anyway. Much better to have a smaller fin, say £1,000e and imsist they pay it off at £100 a month in person to the court clerk. It will bring it home to them - and fellow students - that these rules are there to be obeyed . In fact a system like that might be effective for everyone under 30 who braches the rules.

Kamiso Tue 20-Oct-20 21:39:21

Piers Corbyn should be put in prison for inciting and endangering the general population. Lock him up until the virus is over and he can do no more damage.

M0nica Wed 21-Oct-20 19:54:11

I do not think many people take much notice of Piers Corbyn, or his brother, whatisname, you know, used to lead the Labour Party. People have too much sense.

The problem nowadays, is that a very few people who make a lot of noise and prance around in front of cameras waving placards and shouting, can give an impression of having a large following, when in fact the total number of adherents, on show and hidden is really very small and can barely take the count into 5 figures.

Let him leap up and down if it makes him happy, the rest of us can point and laugh.

Venus Thu 22-Oct-20 09:44:31

HootyMcOwlface

I think your friend needs her bubbles bursting! As far as I know you are allowed one bubble. And then there is the rule of 6 which you can’t exceed unless your household is already more than 6, so she wouldn’t be able to visit them if that bubble has more than 5.

Your support bubble can be more then six.

cheaton Thu 22-Oct-20 09:46:16

Why don't you stop being a busybody and concentrate on your own family? If the PM doesn't know the rules, how are we expected to?

suziewoozie Thu 22-Oct-20 09:49:42

cheaton

Why don't you stop being a busybody and concentrate on your own family? If the PM doesn't know the rules, how are we expected to?

Since when has Johnson ever been anything you’d judge yourself against to excuse your behaviour?

sansa Thu 22-Oct-20 09:50:35

Absolutely agree. We all want to see our families but can’t just yet. And the more stupid people break the rules the longer it will take for the rest of us to get to see those we love. Very selfish

Happilyretired123 Thu 22-Oct-20 09:51:55

That doesnt seem right but taking a step back, people are finding this tough and confusing. I find it easier to ignore what others may be doing because unless you are intending to report them to the police (which would guarantee the end of your friendship) there isnt much you can do. Perhaps if the government had followed the advice of Sage in September for a short circuit breaker we wouldnt be in the position of different rules which confuse people.

CarlyD7 Thu 22-Oct-20 09:58:46

Yes, you are correct and your friend is wrong. However, I have to admit to being in a support bubble with a friend who is also in another support bubble. She has become very depressed during the pandemic. She is also in a support bubble with her sister - who works full time and can't always keep an eye on her, so I fill in when she is at work. So, my friend is actually in two support bubbles - but we just don't know how else we could do this (she has no other family). But your friend just sounds like someone who is ignoring the rules. I would send her a link to a very good page on BBC News website under "Support bubbles: How do they work and who is in yours?" That makes it very clear that it's a maximum of TWO households (which has to include a one person household). This is clearly not her situation.

CarlyD7 Thu 22-Oct-20 09:59:40

PS forgot to say - my friend lives alone.

Nan0 Thu 22-Oct-20 09:59:46

I see all my grandchildren and their parents and to hell with these stupid bubbles We socially distance wear masks sanitise and when outside. minimise going shopping etc .they dont mingle with other people except their necesscary school stuff ..

Hetty58 Thu 22-Oct-20 10:00:54

ExD, it seems that some people have real trouble adapting to change - including the current rules.

They seem to convince themselves that the traditional, expected customs and hospitality overrule everything else.

And, of course, they use that old chestnut - the rules 'don't apply to them personally' because ....(insert any convenient flimsy excuse).

Caragran Thu 22-Oct-20 10:01:30

Really annoys me these people who don't "understand" the rules.
Rules don't matter to them!
It should be easier to name and shame and give them a hefty fine every time they break the rules.

Tanjamaltija Thu 22-Oct-20 10:01:47

The children and their families are probably not in the same bubble, so it's immaterial; that she is in a bubble, separately, with the three of them. She is not being true to herself, deliberately or through ignorance. But, really, is it a concern of yours? It is, but only insofar as she is trying to make your daughter resent you to cover her ass.

Beanie654321 Thu 22-Oct-20 10:03:27

Support bubble is with a person who lives alone and has the support of one other family of any size. All other rules apply like meeting in outside environment only.

NannyJan53 Thu 22-Oct-20 10:08:16

It is very clear that there are many Gransnetters flouting the rules. No wonder the virus is now on the rise again.

recklessgran Thu 22-Oct-20 10:12:37

My mum is 88, frail, housebound and lives alone. I'm looking after her, doing her shopping, visiting her etc. I am her bubble as she relies solely on me for everything. Likewise my disabled daughter who also is alone and also classes DH and I as her bubble. Is this even allowed? I have no idea but I also have no choice in the matter and have to continue to look after my loved ones whether or not it's within "the rules". I'm seriously stressed about it and would love your opinions on whether or not I am breaking the law?

MibsXX Thu 22-Oct-20 10:15:02

Hi, big hugz to you and well done for being there.. I dont actually know the law per se but.. if those folks you are caring for had outside @professional@ carers going to to help them, those professional would be attending lots of peoples homes, would they not? IMO what you are doing is far safer for all concerned

Jess20 Thu 22-Oct-20 10:17:48

What I'd be wondering is, does each of your friends multiple 'support bubbles' know about the others? Has she mentioned how many different bubbles she has to each and every one of them or do they all think they're the only one? It sounds like it's very promiscuous behaviour.....