Gransnet forums

AIBU

what do you miss at this difficult time

(94 Posts)
sart Wed 28-Oct-20 16:31:40

I have a close male friend, purely platonic, pre covid our Sunday probably every other week would be as follows.
He would come round to mine, about midday, we'd have a cuppa, coffee usually or sometimes tea. We'd then go with him driving to a local hotel where they have a lovely carvery in a really nice restaurant. We'd have a drink while waiting for the meal, I could have a wine as I was not driving.
After, we'd come back to mine and had another coffee!
Then, weather permitting and sometimes not, we'd take my 2 dogs for a walk, down to the river, walk along the path, up the hill and arrive at a small local pub. There we would have a drink, non alcoholic in his case, and then walk home sometimes picking up fish and chips on the way, sometimes I would prepare a light meal for us. We'd then put on music, fairly loud but I don't think the neighbours were bothered as it only happened once in a fortnight or so. We'd then danced having been to dance classes a couple of years ago, jive mainly but we had lots or fun. He'd then set off for home and I felt so fulfilled and looked forward to a quiet evening on my own.
We had a chat today and pondered as to when we would be able to do all this again. We think probably for not a long while yet. Both of us will be alone for Christmas but accept this is what we have to do to keep us and people close to us safe.
Just wanted to share, sorry not very interesting but means a lot to me.

Curlygirl Thu 29-Oct-20 20:54:38

I miss being able to hug and cuddle our two grand children who although they live just a ten minute walk away are both at school and our son and daughter in law go out to work. We can meet outside, weather permitting, but socially distance so no physical contact. Being able to go to or invite family round for Sunday lunch or take our grandchildren out during school holidays. To be able to celebrate our daughter and son in law’s wedding as planned, to be able to look forward to a family Christmas. Best of all to live without the ever present fear of our family, friends or ourselves catching the virus and to be able to plan for the future with optimism.

Florida12 Fri 30-Oct-20 09:00:49

My children
Wandering around the garden centre under my terms and conditions
Eating out

sart Sat 21-Nov-20 15:46:09

Finally just to reply to those who asked why we can't 'bubble'.
He has stuck rigidly to the rules since March and hasn't been anywhere except for a food shop once a month.
I on the other hand am self employed with a small business which takes me into other peoples houses. I can't afford to give this up completely though I am as careful as I can be.
He has told me he is not happy with me doing this and obviously feels unsafe coming to see me sad.
I am hopefully having a cataract op next month and he has said he will take me, observing covid rules, both with masks, me in the back seat of the car and with the windows open. I think he is being a bit OTT, he thinks I'm being too laid back

timetogo2016 Sat 21-Nov-20 15:59:31

Wish i hadn`t read your post sart,it`s made me tearfull.
What a lovely friendship.
Bless you both.

Blinko Sat 21-Nov-20 16:02:31

What do I miss most? Eating out with friends; playing bridge; going to the cinema and theatre; our choir; U3a groups.

In other words, my bl***y social life!

petra Sat 21-Nov-20 16:25:50

Blinko
My sentiments exactly ?

Maggiemaybe Sat 21-Nov-20 16:34:55

Like everyone else, family, friends and my social life. And right now the start of the build up to Christmas - the Christmas markets, the city lights being switched on.

And I’d never realised until now just how much I enjoyed hopping on a bus! I’ll be eligible for my long-awaited bus pass in a few weeks and was so looking forward to getting out and about even more.

Hetty58 Sat 21-Nov-20 16:45:03

sart, really? - I'm simply astonished and full of admiration for your superhuman feats!

Anyone who can manage a carvery, followed by dog walking, fish and chips, then jiving - must have a strong stomach and iron constitution!

QuaintIrene Sat 21-Nov-20 16:52:21

Coach trips to the coast and Bury market.
A good mooch about the shops.
Lunches out with friends.
And last but not least, seeing relatives especially my sister and grandchildren.

sart Sat 21-Nov-20 17:22:58

Hetty 58 lol!! Yes I suppose my stomach is quite robust.
When I knew we would be dancing after the pub trip, I did just have a few chips and not much else {grin}

sart Sat 21-Nov-20 17:27:43

grin

Hetty58 Sat 21-Nov-20 18:02:56

I do miss just hanging around with the family at weekends, having the grandchildren to stay and, most of all, hugging.

Never mind, though, the 'difficult time' we're in is just temporary. The light at the end of the tunnel is visible, with vaccination a very real prospect very soon. I'm sure that we can wait it out and make up for it all by this time next year.

nanna8 Sun 29-Nov-20 10:48:36

Hang in there ladies. we have just come through 6 months of it (Melbourne) and let me say, it is worth all the angst when you can go out and about and not have to worry too much. It is tough, really tough and quite depressing but time passes quickly and you get to be very good at the 'Zoom' sessions!

Nannan2 Sun 29-Nov-20 10:53:56

Oopsadaisy4- Till end of 2nd December we are ALL in a lockdown area!!!

Nannan2 Sun 29-Nov-20 11:03:15

We should have done 6 months of it back in march! Maybe by now Britain would have had it more in control..I never went out very regular but we visited other family and im missing them so much. Hardly seen anyone since march.(only once at a funeral and once to one son to see new baby 2months after birth) i live with 2 youngest sons but they're mostly in their rooms video gaming.still at least they're here.and safe.I'm normally a cheerful person but its even starting to get me down..yes everything's to be planned and its such hard work if you go out its hardly worth it.

Nannan2 Sun 29-Nov-20 11:11:58

Sart- My son is like that a bit- hes got OCD anyway and this has hyped it up- he drives me to hospital for regular warfarin blood tests and he wears mask, rubber gloves, his other winter gloves on top and yet he stays in the car! He does allow me to sit in front with him but only because we live in same house! (He does spray everything after with dettol spray though)bless him.

Nannan2 Sun 29-Nov-20 11:12:36

Oh, and yes he has windows open on both our sides..

Shrub Sun 29-Nov-20 11:34:52

In your case Nannan2 there is probably more chance (very small though) of the virus blowing in from a passerby. Bless him!