Gransnet forums

AIBU

Panic stations already!

(37 Posts)
Craftycat Tue 03-Nov-20 12:49:07

I have just got back from small local precinct- I went to get a prescription.
There were long queues outside every shop (except Boots)- especially a card shop & hairdressers.
I mentioned it to pharmacist while she was making up my prescription & she said it had been like that since first thing this morning.
She thought people were stocking up on greetings cards & buying their Christmas ones too.
Has the world gone mad!! We are in a very low risk area anyway.
Strangely there was no queue outside the only food shop which is a busy supermarket.

yggdrasil Tue 03-Nov-20 13:36:07

Why is this mad? We have been asked to frequent local shops, so people are doing that while they can.
No need to queue at the supermarket, that will be staying open.

annsixty Tue 03-Nov-20 13:40:48

My D just happens to have the day off today so she has taken the last chance before lockdown to go to Gunwharf Quay a large retail outlet in Portsmouth, she says it is not crowded at all.
She has done lots of her Christmas shopping already.

Sparklefizz Tue 03-Nov-20 14:03:03

A fight has apparently broken out in a branch of Tesco's.

Teetime Tue 03-Nov-20 14:26:16

I put that cartoon on FB Sparklefizz and DD2 said 'I never thought I would hear my mother use the word cockwomble'. I dont know why I say much worse especially about panic buyers - no cure for stupidity I suppose.

Teetime Tue 03-Nov-20 14:27:23

I just came back from some light Christmas shopping and the only queue was outside a cheap card shop. I didnt do any more than I would normally do at this time of year.

Namsnanny Tue 03-Nov-20 14:31:51

It has been busy on the roads and longer queues at shops here. But it's to be expected as no one actually knows what will happen in a few weeks time.

ayse Tue 03-Nov-20 14:32:19

Newcastle yesterday and today had more ‘daytime’ people than I’ve seen since before the first lockdown. Local supermarkets were really quiet in comparison. How many people will spread Covid in this rush? I’ll be checking the figures after two weeks to see if this had an impact.

The roads were crazy busy as well.

I was just passing through, catching two buses to travel to DD. We are bubbled and it would take me over an hour and a half to walk.

Summerlove Tue 03-Nov-20 14:36:19

Teetime

I just came back from some light Christmas shopping and the only queue was outside a cheap card shop. I didnt do any more than I would normally do at this time of year.

But the other people shopping don’t know that, do they? They could just as easily be elsewhere accusing you of panic buying.

We do not know what other people’s normal shopping habits are

Oopsadaisy4 Tue 03-Nov-20 15:45:51

The queues might have formed because it’s one in and one out and we still need Birthday and other greeting cards, let alone Christmas, don’t we?

tanith Tue 03-Nov-20 15:50:43

My daughters shop has had to limit the amount of shoppers this week which they haven’t needed to do for ages with big queues forming. They have been mobbed all week what is wrong with people.

Pittcity Tue 03-Nov-20 16:02:50

I just don't understand the panic. The world won't end because you haven't bought Christmas cards....

grandtanteJE65 Wed 04-Nov-20 10:41:23

I call this sensible not mad.

I went and did a month and a half's shopping before they closed our border with Germany again.

Live had to go on as normally as possible during lockdown, so why not buy Christmas cards now and write them whilst you can't go out?

Puzzler61 Wed 04-Nov-20 10:45:51

I agree grandtante
November marks the start of Christmas shopping for many and if you are working and get a monthly salary there may only be one more pay day until Christmas.
This could be just us, but we eat more in winter too so stocking up on non-perishable foods is necessary too as we could have bad weather to come.

glammanana Wed 04-Nov-20 10:59:49

The card shop in our precinct was the only shop with a queue which I was not surprised at as we don't know if this 4 week lockdown will be extended and people want to buy cards for xmas and of course birthday cards,I have 3 grandsons whose birthdays run between early December and New Years Eve.
Every ones needs are different.All the other shops had just a few people doing a one in one out system which was working very well.

Cabbie21 Wed 04-Nov-20 11:04:24

I went to a local card shop yesterday to buy birthday cards for the next few weeks. Then I heard the shop isn't going to close, as it is a newsagents.
I also bought a few items, toiletries and household items from Boyes, as I do about every 6 weeks, then I heard them tell someone that they were staying partially open. I don't know what category they come in or even if it is true.
I shall get my Christmas cards online.

Willow500 Wed 04-Nov-20 12:08:06

A relative has to do her GD exchange handover from her father which they normally do in one of the very large shopping centres. She posted a video on Sunday of the huge queues waiting to get in and the overflowing car park - no social distancing evident and few masks! What Covid?!!angry

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 04-Nov-20 12:15:07

Willow500

A relative has to do her GD exchange handover from her father which they normally do in one of the very large shopping centres. She posted a video on Sunday of the huge queues waiting to get in and the overflowing car park - no social distancing evident and few masks! What Covid?!!angry

I'm wondering where this shopping centre was? What part of England?

I can't talk for the whole of South West, where I live, but there was nothing like that since the lockdown announcement. I've shopped twice since then with no problems and everyone social distancing.

lemongrove Wed 04-Nov-20 12:52:15

We went to get something from the garden centre this morning and turned back due to queues.......garden centres are remaining open! Where’s the logic?

Maggiemaybe Wed 04-Nov-20 12:55:51

I can’t see anything at all wrong with people queuing today to get cards, presents, etc and have their hair cut while they can. They’re hardly raving in the street and their local businesses will be glad of the custom. Of course there were no queues at the food shops - they’ll be staying open

When did we become such a sanctimonious nation, forever ready to judge others?

grannysyb Wed 04-Nov-20 14:10:59

I have bought bread flour, yeast and milk powder as it all completely disappeared in the first lockdown. I also bought my charity Christmas cards from a church as I knew that they wouldn't be able to open after today. Otherwise will be doing a big shop tomorrow as I usually do.

BlueBelle Wed 04-Nov-20 14:38:50

I would have thought most people would be buying their cards in November anyway I make all mine so I can sit back and smile
The one thing that does annoy me is stock pilers buying up a months worth of food and squirrelling it away that’s what causes the food shortages and is greedy the food shops aren’t going to close
We are Tier 1 and most times I ve been out the queues are very orderly I haven’t seen any bad behaviour to be honest

TwiceAsNice Thu 05-Nov-20 09:46:31

We have stayed at tier 1 all the time until this lockdown, we are in the second lowest area in the country so wish they had stayed in the tier system but needs must. I did go out yesterday and buy pet food and Xmas cards to write. I also went to the local post office to send of 2 parcels and it was the only place I had to queue outside, they were only allowing a couple of people in at a time so they could distance. We’ll see what happens in England after the 2nd, I would so like to be able to visit my friend who I haven’t seen for nearly a year.

NotSpaghetti Thu 05-Nov-20 10:31:47

Those of us who normally send gifts abroad were probably doing some concentrated shopping too. Once/if the lockdown is over it may be too late to post.
I know this is not a major part of the queues discussed above but it adds a few people everywhere probably.

lemongrove Thu 05-Nov-20 11:46:54

Just went back to the same garden centre today....wonderful!
Only about a half dozen customers in the whole place.
Which means that most people don’t realise they are staying open.Bought many presents, plus lights and candles and Christmas bits.