Gransnet forums

AIBU

Made In Britain???

(52 Posts)
Sashabel Mon 09-Nov-20 12:44:31

I've just been trawling through the Tesco and Boots websites to get a few ideas for some "smelly stuff" to give to my sister who loves that sort of thing and have been shocked at how much is made in China. Good old products that seem so "British", such as Bayliss & Harding, Natural Extracts, Oliver Thomas, Kath Kidston, Ted Baker, Fearne Cotton to name but a few. Even items sold under the Eden Project name are all made in China!
I do try to buy British as much as possible, but this year I think it's even more important to support our own economy and have found this quite incredible.
I will certainly be more careful to read the labels more thoroughly in the future

GillT57 Sat 21-Nov-20 18:40:40

Pinkquartz. This is what they do to angora rabbits. Rip out handfuls of fluffy fur while they are alive.

pinkquartz Sat 21-Nov-20 17:42:04

Feathers from ducks and geese are in China removed while the birds are alive.
painful

Plucking causes geese and ducks considerable pain and distress. Typically, they are lifted by their necks or delicate wings, their legs are physically restrained or tied, and their feathers are ripped right out of their skin. The struggling birds are often plucked so hard that their skin is torn open and the hurried workers sew up the wounds using needle and thread and no painkillers. Plucking may begin when the animals are just 10 weeks old and be repeated in six-week intervals until the birds are slaughtered for meat long before they would naturally die

PamelaJ1 Sat 21-Nov-20 16:45:14

Whitewavemark2

pamela I’ve had my Dualit made in Sussex toaster as well as their kettle for years and years.

That makes 3 of us on GN. I had already done my homework when ploembundle convinced me that I should buy.
Trouble is that you do need to do the homework and it’s time consuming.
Luckily I recognised my old toaster was about to fail so we were only a week without one, although I could have had a chrome one immediately.

25Avalon Sat 21-Nov-20 16:23:54

Wendyann23 just shows how careful you have to be. Also lots of products are now saying designed in the Uk and showing the Union Jack but made elsewhere, usually China.

GillT57 Sat 21-Nov-20 15:52:11

GrannyGravy13

Baylis and Harding are cruelty free and display the peta logo, any cosmetic/bathing products sold in/produced in China have to be tested on Animals. I was under the impression that B & H were not made in China?

Yes, this is an important point. It is important to research if the cosmetics or toiletries you are planning on buying are sold in China. If they are, beware, as China use animal testing on all imports. Like most on here, (I hope) I try to buy British made products, but it can be an relatively expensive decision. I buy soaps from small producers on Etsy, but there are lots of small suppliers. I am very uncomfortable buying anything made in China due to their animal and human rights abuses. When I read about how they got the angora wool for their sweaters, I wept.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 21-Nov-20 13:31:28

I've just emailed Tesco because our new Christmas tree in a pot which was labelled as Produced in the UK, with a Union flag on the label, was apparently grown in Denmark. They give you a website to go to and an individual number on the tree so that you can find out where it was grown. The one we had last year, which we haven't managed to save for this year sad was grown in Scotland, but this year it's Denmark. Even if it was a seedling sent here to be grown on, it still risks bringing plant diseases with it, and now I will be reluctant to plant it out after Christmas. angry

bikergran Sat 21-Nov-20 13:04:01

Just bought some spray on pillow Lavender spray from Supermarket. Lovely aroma last night whilst drifting off.

But made in China, I'm sure we have plenty of Lavender fields in uk.

wendyann23 Sat 21-Nov-20 12:22:38

25Avalon
I looked at the box in our local Tesco which is the only place open. The box quite clearly states designed (not made) in UK with a picture of the Union Jack but also on the box it says made in China. It is a bit deceiving.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 21-Nov-20 12:12:43

Sashabel, thanks for the warning. Think I was aware of it, but sometimes it just has to be. I have already decided I am giving vouchers from local shops to local friends when we are next 'let out'!

25Avalon Sat 21-Nov-20 12:08:46

Wendyann23 are you sure Kenwood mixer is made in China? According to their website they manufacture their products in GB. Also Which have awarded them kitchen appliance and products company of the year 2020.

wendyann23 Sat 21-Nov-20 12:02:52

Thanks, would prefer to buy one made in France rather than China.

25Avalon Sat 21-Nov-20 11:46:58

Magimix is a French company

petra Sat 21-Nov-20 09:20:45

Wendyann
Magimix manufacture their products in France.

25Avalon Sat 21-Nov-20 08:50:44

There is also Neal’s Yard, extremely good quality organic products made in Dorset, bit more expensive though but lovely as a special treat.

25Avalon Sat 21-Nov-20 08:47:38

Sashabel try YARDLEYS perfumes, lots of smellies all made in Britain. I love their April Violet soap - it has kept my hands lovely and soft during lockdown. They will probably have Black Friday offers too if you go to to their website.

wendyann23 Sat 21-Nov-20 08:33:58

My faithful old Kenwood food processor has finally given up. I looked in Tesco for a replacement. Kenwood food processor is designed in UK but now made in China. I would prefer to buy one manufactured outside of China if possible but it is very hard to tell online where they are made.

Urmstongran Sat 21-Nov-20 08:25:46

GALT toys are British made. HQ in Cheadle, Cheshire. Merged with a Dutch company last year. Good quality. I used to buy their stuff for our daughters when they were little.

EllanVannin Sat 21-Nov-20 08:11:26

I remember the good old companies years ago when buying toys for Christmas. Triang and Pedigree were firm favourites which lasted years because they were properly made and didn't fall to pieces or break on Boxing Day.
There's no craftsmanship in anything----so sad.

All my appliances were British made, solid and reliable and of good quality.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Nov-20 05:05:30

pamela I’ve had my Dualit made in Sussex toaster as well as their kettle for years and years.

Sunny82z Fri 20-Nov-20 23:24:35

Like all of you I am trying to avoid buying anything made in China, it is always poor quality. I am always disappointed that the supermarkets sell Chinese garlic, you can tell by the base if it is shaved on the base it is Chinese, Spanish garlic always has stringy bits on the base. There is of course the garlic farm on the Isle of Wight for true English garlic. Roberts radios are amazing and not only are they a joy use but can be repaired and they have a brilliant service department. We may have to pay more for these items but they last longer and are better made.

boodymum67 Sun 15-Nov-20 13:13:19

Yes, I get that, but it is SO hard to find anything English made. We will have to pay more for it, which I am prepared for...to a point!

Sashabel Tue 10-Nov-20 22:55:18

"I usually buy products from craft fairs, home made soaps being one of them but I can't seem to do it this year because of Covid."
Barmeyoldbat - If you go on Facebook and type in a search using either the first part of your postcode or your town followed by "artisans", you have a good chance of finding locals making and selling all manner of craft products such as soap, scented candles, wall art etc. All locally produced and so you'll be supporting your community - well worth a look

Elegran Tue 10-Nov-20 21:02:38

I was looking for a wall-mounted utensil holder, with hooks. They all seem to be made in China. On Amazon, it usually says just under the "Buy now" button that the item is "sold by XXXXX" If you click on the seller's name, it takes you to a page where you see the name and address of the seller. That is very often in China, somewhere like

"Customer Services Address:

fengxianquzhijianglu258hao1zhuang1201shi
shanghai
fengxianqu
shanghai
CN "

However, there are still some sellers who sound British, with addresses in the UK, who sell on goods that they have imported wholesale If you have any doubts, you could always ask the seller where the item you are interested in was made

Barmeyoldbat Tue 10-Nov-20 20:49:38

I usually buy products from craft fairs, home made soaps being one of them but I can't seem to do it this year because of Covid. Just a point when we were out in SE Asia we found local people didn't want to buy products from China as they were inferior, on being bicycles and motor scooters. So its not just us its also their neighbours.

PamelaJ1 Tue 10-Nov-20 20:33:00

My major purchase recently is a Dualit Classic toaster. I love it to bits. It was made by Robert in Sussex.
All other toasters made by Dualit are made in China.
The classic is expensive but I’m not expecting to have to buy another... ever.
However, the purchase wasn’t easy because I wanted a blue one. In the end I bought straight from the manufacturer instead of supporting a local family owned shop.
It is expensive to support our own country but my mission is to buy less but buy more responsibly if possible.
Amazon gives you an opportunity to ask questions. Ask where your prospective purchase was made before you buy.