Gransnet forums

AIBU

Made In Britain???

(51 Posts)
Sashabel Mon 09-Nov-20 12:44:31

I've just been trawling through the Tesco and Boots websites to get a few ideas for some "smelly stuff" to give to my sister who loves that sort of thing and have been shocked at how much is made in China. Good old products that seem so "British", such as Bayliss & Harding, Natural Extracts, Oliver Thomas, Kath Kidston, Ted Baker, Fearne Cotton to name but a few. Even items sold under the Eden Project name are all made in China!
I do try to buy British as much as possible, but this year I think it's even more important to support our own economy and have found this quite incredible.
I will certainly be more careful to read the labels more thoroughly in the future

Calendargirl Mon 09-Nov-20 12:49:21

I called in at our little local hardware shop hoping he would have an enamel oval shaped roasting tin with lid as ours has given up the ghost.
“No, haven’t stocked them for ages” he said.
“Made in China”.

Obviously he supports Buy British, but did wonder where most of his stock comes from.

Ilovecheese Mon 09-Nov-20 12:52:47

The Museum Collection catalogue highlights products that are made in Britain, not many, but useful when we are trying to support British industries.
Folksy is a good websites for hand made British products.

cavewoman Mon 09-Nov-20 12:55:41

Just one of the reasons I stick to Molton Brown.
Made in England.

I've just been looking at their Advent Calender but at £175 I can but dream.

petra Mon 09-Nov-20 13:06:46

Sashabel
The only thing that surprises me is that your surprised.
Were you unaware that china decided to become the biggest factory in the world 40 years ago.
They overtook the USA in 2010 as the worlds largest producer.

NotAGran55 Mon 09-Nov-20 13:10:25

www.nealsyardremedies.com/

Neals Yard are a British brand made in Britain who sell lovely stuff . Cruelty Free too .

phoenix Mon 09-Nov-20 13:19:52

When the place where I work reopened in July I had to source and buy various items of ppe, masks, visors, gloves etc.

Also refillable spray bottles to use for disinfecting surfaces, and a remote infra red thermometer.

Guess where almost all of it was made?

pinkquartz Mon 09-Nov-20 13:54:54

30 years ago there wasn't much made in China sold here.
We need to turn back the tide on this.
Plus China got started so cheap by using unpaid labour form their prisoners.
It is disgusting really.

lemongrove Mon 09-Nov-20 14:04:17

I always scrutinise the ‘made in’ wording on most things that I buy.I won’t buy anything from China if I can help it.

Sashabel Mon 09-Nov-20 14:19:07

I do that too, lemongrove and regardless of petras rather patronising response, I was just trying to "flag up" this issue as these products are generally thought of as British. In fact the Kath Kidston labelled products all have "London" boldly written on them.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 09-Nov-20 14:35:16

Baylis and Harding are cruelty free and display the peta logo, any cosmetic/bathing products sold in/produced in China have to be tested on Animals. I was under the impression that B & H were not made in China?

eazybee Mon 09-Nov-20 14:35:32

I believe Laura Ashley was bought by the Chinese, and then destroyed by them, which is what is happening to Kath Kidson. This happens to so many British names; the new owners, usually Chinese or American, stop making the goods to the same high standards whilst charging the same prices, and the company fails.

J52 Mon 09-Nov-20 15:25:36

Arran Aromatics have beautiful fragrances, made in Scotland.

lemongrove Mon 09-Nov-20 16:06:13

Well, it’s a funny thing GG13 because I have come across B&H products made in China and others made elsewhere.
I like their liquid soap.

Hotter shoes are made here?

Yes eazybee ....look what happened to the iconic chocolate orange! It’s awful now.

lemongrove Mon 09-Nov-20 16:11:14

About three years ago, browsing Christmas choccy bits for children ( in net bags) I found that they were made in China.
I emailed the HQ of the supermarket and said I wouldn't buy Anything that young children actually ate ,from China.
They sent a diplomatic response, but the next year all their chocs were made either in Belgium, the UK or Germany.

paddyanne Mon 09-Nov-20 16:17:03

J52 another shout out for Arran Aromatics,their After the Rain fragranced products are lovely

paddyanne Mon 09-Nov-20 16:20:57

May not be the case* Lemon* they might just have been labelled from those places...like the Scottish products now being labelled British and wearing a Union flag ...sadly this is disatrous for the Scotland brand which is a premium brand worldwide .Will do untold of damage to our economy and jobs .If its made in Scotland it should say that .Of course it may affect English brands that had believed they were protected too,like Melton Mowbray Pies and Stilton Cheese ..

annodomini Mon 09-Nov-20 16:28:53

Anything made in China or exported to China has to be tested on animals - another reason for avoiding them.

welbeck Mon 09-Nov-20 17:43:22

ever wondered what does, made in, actually mean.
where do the ingredients constituent parts come from.
end point assembly finishing secures made in label.

fiorentina51 Mon 09-Nov-20 19:00:49

For those of you who are on Facebook, there is a page called Buy British Made. Lots of information on there.

www.facebook.com/groups/1580344648802291

boodymum67 Tue 10-Nov-20 14:01:10

I wanted a dressmaking ruler and searched on line. They were around £8 and yes, made in China.
I found (or thought I had) an English made one and paid £20....

in small print at the bottom was Made in China...I had supported a British shop, but he`s supported China and I paid for the privilege

petra Tue 10-Nov-20 14:06:01

boodymum
Did you buy it on Amazon or eBay? If so put your comments on feedback. They don't like bad feedback, it lowers their rating.

boodymum67 Tue 10-Nov-20 14:07:45

no, never thought of it at the time

cupaffull Tue 10-Nov-20 14:23:24

boodymum67

I wanted a dressmaking ruler and searched on line. They were around £8 and yes, made in China.
I found (or thought I had) an English made one and paid £20....

in small print at the bottom was Made in China...I had supported a British shop, but he`s supported China and I paid for the privilege

Its true that many sellers on Ebay and Amazon claim to be in the UK, they will specifically state a UK location but check at the very bottom of their sellers page and China it is...
Ebay and Amazon are colliding in the deception.

We have to be aware that by buying their goods we are actively prioritising their economic recovery above our own.

cupaffull Tue 10-Nov-20 14:24:03

Soz..".colluding"