Gransnet forums

AIBU

How often do you feed your cat (lighthearted)

(57 Posts)
Sallywally1 Thu 12-Nov-20 13:17:22

I am now semi retired and have noticed now I am at home more my other half feeds the cat in the middle of the day, as well as morning and evening.

I think hard food in the morning and a pouch of soft food in the evening is more than enough. I realise our cat is quite capable of demanding cat food with menaces (and the vet said he was a tiny bit overweight), but feel that three times a day is too much!

GardenerGran Thu 12-Nov-20 18:35:40

I’ve just found our puss with her head in a bowl of apple crumble and custard that my granddaughter wouldn’t eat for some reason! It was the custard she was after. Luckily there is at lot more left. She is definitely a greedy guts, she’s been diagnosed with over active thyroid and is on very expensive medication that is supposed to make her less hungry as well as better over all but she still sits by her food bowl a lot looking pleadingly at me. She has two and a half tins of gourmet cat food a day plus biscuits as and when.

Deedaa Thu 12-Nov-20 18:41:56

My two are fed little and often. the older one had a very bad early life and is obsessed with food. He's what Jackson Galaxy calls a Scarf n' Barf, in other words he will stuff himself until he throws up and then starts again. Small meals often is the safest way to deal with him.

Lyndylou Thu 12-Nov-20 19:01:38

Our cat is fed a pouch in the morning and another in the evening if she asks for it. She also has dried food available all the time and she gets a little chicken each evening because the dog is fed purely on cooked chicken. (There's some Children In Need on TV and I initially wrote cooked children. Think she would find them a little tough!)

We have to feed her on a table in the dining room out of the way, otherwise the dog would wolf it all down. But woe betide her if she goes near the dog's bowl, though I think she just tries it to wind him up sometimes.

phoenix Thu 12-Nov-20 19:14:07

Jane10, not grumpy at all, just dignified!

Trendynanny little beauties! Proper silver tabbies.

Puzzler61 Thu 12-Nov-20 19:30:58

They could grace any month of the year on a Whiskas calendar Trendynanny ?

maddyone Thu 12-Nov-20 19:32:08

Oh I’ve loved reading about your cats. We lost our last one last year, he was a very vociferous Bengal, full of character and mischief. Before him we had other rescue cats, all with their own personalities. We decided not to get another cat at the moment because we have been travelling quite a lot, and we felt it was unfair on the cats, although he got very personal service from our neighbours who looked after him when we weren’t here. I think they spoilt him more than we did. Anyway, along came Covid, so now we’ve got no cat, and not much travelling.

Nandalot Thu 12-Nov-20 19:51:03

Our cat has dry Royal Canin food put out in the morning. (Recommended by the vet as she has a delicate digestion). She is not greedy and usually does not finish the amount she is supposed to eat. However, she will not let me rest in the morning until I have given her her brush which she knows will be followed by three Dreamies. What do they put in Dreamies that make cats go mad for them?

Lyndylou Thu 12-Nov-20 19:58:14

The cat and the dog both wanting the best seat in the house! If he is in it first, she pretends to want to play with him, then when he gets down she jumps in the chair.

phoenix Thu 12-Nov-20 20:04:56

Lyndylou can I guess that the cats other favourite spot in on the back of the sofa, the part just above the dog in your photo?

(Both gorgeous animals btw!)

Lyndylou Thu 12-Nov-20 20:08:49

Actually it is dog who is responsible for the big dent in the sofa back. If anyone is daft enough to say the word puss, he jumps up there to see which of the neighbourhood cats is trespassing in the garden. Then he rushes out to sort them out. He has not caught one yet they just stroll off into next door while he rushes round and round looking for them!

(Thank You)

Nanna58 Thu 12-Nov-20 20:11:07

My daughter fed her cat twice a day, she was getting fat. On chatting with neighbours so it appears we’re sever other houses- she now wears a ‘ please do not feed me’ collar!!!}

phoenix Thu 12-Nov-20 20:20:56

Ah,in our house the debt is caused by Oliver Sprout lying on it, I have to plump it up every so often!

Nanna58 that reminds me of a children's book about a cat called Sid, who was being fed at several houses, but ended up being taken to get by each household!

Can't remember the exact story of title, something like "Six dinners Sid"?

phoenix Thu 12-Nov-20 21:24:48

"Debt"? He's never run up a debt in his life! Although I did hear a rumour that he owes Norman next door 2 voles as a result of over bidding in a late night poker game wink

I meant of course "dent".

ElaineI Fri 13-Nov-20 00:32:03

Our cat is 16 and fed on demand now - a lot!! She is very fussy and eats one type no bother for a week or two then turns her nose up so no point bulk buying. She currently loves the cat soup as there is little chewing but can eat two pouches a day - also manages to eat the dry food ½ bowl a day and cat milk a bowl a day. She drinks water but only from licking the door, outside chairs if it's been wet and puddles - definitely not in a bowl. She used to favour fishy food but now is more into chicken, beef etc. She also likes boiled chicken cut up. She has led us a merry dance since DH retired! She can still catch mice but often vomits their innards - yuck! She is in and out like a yoyo and kept in at night - there are quite a few cats around and I'm too old to be wandering round the garden at 3am when I hear caterwauling. Poor soul has had to put up with toddlers chasing her for last few years. 7yo leaves her alone but 3 and 2 yos chase her round the house unless checked by us.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 18-Dec-20 13:11:06

Dinner, two pouches of cat food, in the evening and a bowl of dried food and one of water take whenever he pleases.

Begging doesn't lead to extra food.

Tweedle24 Fri 18-Dec-20 13:22:11

My two have a pouch each morning and evening with dried food in between. They are much smaller than previous cats I have had and thought it might be too much but, they seem to thrive on it. They are not like previous cats who would eat whatever they could get their paws on with no bottom to their stomachs. These eat on and off all day and there is often food left in the bowl in the morning.

geekesse Fri 18-Dec-20 13:41:25

Once a day, dry food. But I keep her on short rations so that she continues to perform her rodent-control duties.

hollysteers Fri 18-Dec-20 13:52:33

Twice a day supplemented by dry food. She has not been enjoying the Tiger brand pouch food at all, but I held out as hate wasting food. It’s amazing how long a cat will hold out if they don’t like a certain food.
I have just switched to canned Whiskas rather than pouches as more economical and realise it’s a false economy to buy cheap cat food. Dreamies must have catnip in it!
She is such a comfort during these isolated times.

GrannyLaine Fri 18-Dec-20 14:56:06

Eleventy flaming million times at the moment.
Our little tabby has her Bengal cousin staying for rehab (displaying some very naughty behaviour at home which is the final straw in her very stressed household) We feed them both together and both are displaying that feline amnesia where they look balefully at a just emptied saucer and swear that they haven't been fed for DAAAYS....

Tweedle24 Fri 18-Dec-20 14:57:40

geekesse I thought that it was the well-fed ones that hunt??

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 18-Dec-20 15:06:06

In the Utility room where Milo and Ripley are fed, there is always a bowl of canin cat biscuits - the Vet would prefer it if that was all they ate! But, just before I go to bed at around 10 ish, they have a sachet of fishy food and a sprinkle of Dreamies, which the Vet has told us are fattening! When I come down in the morning, Milo sits by his bowl and waits for Dreamies. They are ten years old and apparently very healthy.

geekesse Fri 18-Dec-20 15:08:10

Tweedle24, she is well fed. A bowl of catfood a day plus several mice.

Loislovesstewie Fri 18-Dec-20 15:11:14

Fed cat this morning;walked out of kitchen returned a while later. Large tom cat noshing (not our tom) on her food while she stands and lets him. I could swear that she was giving him come hither looks, despite being spayed. He let himself out by the cat flap. No wonder she eats so much; she is giving dinner parties courtesy of us!

BlueSapphire Sat 19-Dec-20 12:29:07

My two will only eat wet food at bedtime. If I put it down at any other time of day they just ignore it. Dry food and water is always on offer, but they seem to be doing well and the vet had no complaints. And mine must be the only cats who won't eat Dreamies! But they adore Sainsbury's chewsticks. They wait to be groomed every evening as they know they get a chewstick afterwards.

kircubbin2000 Sat 19-Dec-20 13:17:12

2 pouches at the moment. When I got him he wouldn't eat and still refuses dry food. I sometimes buy a pack of chicken thighs for a treat. I dread to think what he will do if I can't buy the right pouches.