Gransnet forums

AIBU

How often do you feed your cat (lighthearted)

(57 Posts)
Sallywally1 Thu 12-Nov-20 13:17:22

I am now semi retired and have noticed now I am at home more my other half feeds the cat in the middle of the day, as well as morning and evening.

I think hard food in the morning and a pouch of soft food in the evening is more than enough. I realise our cat is quite capable of demanding cat food with menaces (and the vet said he was a tiny bit overweight), but feel that three times a day is too much!

Sparklefizz Sat 19-Dec-20 13:38:32

^ It’s amazing how long a cat will hold out if they don’t like a certain food.^

So true. My Miss Fusspot is a good example. I remember the Vet Nurse saying to me briskly when I was discussing her food that a fussy cat will give in eventually, and for to just stand firm. Ha !

The nurse did have the good grace to say to me the following year that she had just acquired 2 cats herself and realised that what she had said was totally untrue.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sat 19-Dec-20 13:46:40

My two are on dry food only. I aim to feed them last thing before bedtime so I'm not woken with an insistent paw in the face at silly o'clock, but otherwise it's when I'm gently (and vocally) reminded that the bowls are empty. Each has a bowl in a preferred location but they do tend to plunder each other's bowl without rancour.

Bedtime also brings the replenishment of water. The two of them share a tumbler on the coffee table. It's better than a bowl because it keeps their whiskers from getting wet and means that I can keep an eye on the level as it's important to have plenty of water with a dry food diet.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 20-Dec-20 13:29:52

My two have a sachet between them morning and evening and dry food available. This was their regime when we took them in. That said they will always try their luck!

LadyGracie Sun 20-Dec-20 14:15:39

My cat has up to 4 sachets a day and always has a bowl of dry food and fresh water available. There is not an ounce of fat on him, our vet commented that he was the biggest DSH he'd ever seen.

kircubbin2000 Sun 20-Dec-20 14:40:25

Mine doesn't like dreamies but he got a Christmas present from Fortnums, munchies, a very small pack costing £6.Yes, quite nice he says.

Blossoming Sun 20-Dec-20 15:33:30

Twice a day, morning and evening.