Gransnet forums

AIBU

Aibu to think people really don’t get it?

(64 Posts)
Youcantchoosethem Sun 29-Nov-20 17:45:41

I tested positive for COVID on Thursday and have had to isolate from my partner and two of my children and my two grandchildren. My third child is in my home but has tested negative so we have had to split the house in two. I can’t console him. I can’t hug him. He can’t go to school. I still have to feed him - he can’t cook for himself and that is a massive challenge. I have to wear full PPE. I’m using separate plates etc for him. Cleaning constantly. I have to keep telling him to keep back and not to come near and it feels so shitty to keep doing that and even spraying the air with an aerosol disinfectant after I have been in the transfer area we have set up. He can’t open his door whilst I’m on the landing. Everything has to go through the dishwasher at high heat - I can’t just rinse a spoon in case it is still contaminated. Obviously neither of us can go anywhere. I can’t hug my partner. I am asthmatic and have other underlying conditions - I had a mild stroke in September and had organ failure 8 years ago - so I am in constant fear of what happens next. At the moment it’s mild. But if it goes to my chest? I get chest infections every year. Is that the last time I will ever have seen my partner and my other two children? Given them a hug? Will my other son be ok locked in his couple of rooms? Can I keep him safe? He’s asthmatic too and has complex special needs. The mental side is so awful. I followed the rules too. Was fanatical about everything clean but I still got it. I don’t know how. But at the moment it’s just a mild case....

LauraNorder Mon 30-Nov-20 11:02:07

Youcantchoosethem, thank you for coming on here to highlight just how serious this virus can be. You’re right that so many people ‘just don’t get it’.
Hope that you and your son feel lots better soon and that the infection doesn’t spread to the rest of your family.
As others have said, try not to worry and get plenty of rest.

Gingergirl Mon 30-Nov-20 11:03:30

Re read your last sentence. This is mild (and is for most people)...look after yourself, try not to get too depressed as it hampers recovery..and hoping you get well very soon.?

Rosina Mon 30-Nov-20 11:22:01

What a horrible time for you - so sorry to hear that your life has become really difficult for you and your family.
I wish I had some clever words of comfort - but I will send soe flowers. I hope this passes soon. xx flowers

Youcantchoosethem Mon 30-Nov-20 11:22:15

PJN1952 So sorry to hear of your DD. One of our friends, who was really fit running marathons before, had it earlier in the year and has ended up having to have surgery on his lungs to help drain them because of long term issues, even though the first couple of weeks were mild. It really is the unknown isn’t it.

@ Callistemon he can’t come into the kitchen as that would mean using closed areas without good ventilation so he has three rooms upstairs and I bring up food to the landing and when I retreat on the stairs he comes out and we peek along the landing to see each other (well see being not quite as wearing mask etc!) I don’t feel I can risk other areas for him because I know how chesty he gets and how he is with his asthma - so taking one day at a time and trying our best. Have managed to get a shopping slot for weds so we can get more easy/ready meals x

eazybee Mon 30-Nov-20 11:24:36

I am so sorry for your situation.
I wish some of the journalists who supposedly prowl these pages would take up your letter and publicise it; a raw account of dealing with the effects of covid and managing without help whilst being ill. The rebel MPs need to see this account as well; I am sick of hearing about the impact of closing pubs and depriving people of their civil liberties.

Would it be possible for your kind friend to take your son
for just a few days so that you could take to your bed and get some sleep and rest, the better to cope with the illness? You do have to look after yourself, and you are in such a difficult situation; two days complete rest would really help.
The very best of luck.

GoldenAge Mon 30-Nov-20 11:32:05

Sending you every good wish in your difficult situation right now - I hope you feel better soon both physically and emotionally

MayBee70 Mon 30-Nov-20 11:32:06

Would it not be better to open windows etc to get a flow of air rather than using aerosols, which I would have thought would be bad for asthma? Wear masks, even in the house (or is that a problem with asthma? There was a programme months ago showing different families coping with having the virus and the lady who was concerned about the fact she had asthma was actually fine: the asthma didn’t seem to affect her more than the other people in the programme. Do you have an oximeter so you can monitor your oxygen level? Please keep posting on here so we can know that you’re ok x

win Mon 30-Nov-20 11:50:23

Such a sad post to read, people just do not realise how it would affect them for sure. Sending all best wishes for a speedy recovery and that no one else gets infected. Rest, drink plenty of water and try to relax as much as you possibly can. flowers

TLVgran48 Mon 30-Nov-20 12:02:38

Hoping and praying for a full and fast recovery

Fennel Mon 30-Nov-20 12:20:27

To the OP- hoping you feel better soon, and I agree that some of us don't take the risk or the regs. seriously enough.
Talking to younger daughter on the phone last night, she gave me a much deserved correction about my more relaxed attitude.
Not about someone who has the virus, but about family visits.

Paperbackwriter Mon 30-Nov-20 12:30:27

So sorry to hear you're ill. But just a suggestion, as you're the one supposed to be isolated, not the family: can't your partner take over the child care and cooking? He/she will certainly have to if your condition gets worse (I hope it doesn't!) but you really shouldn't have to do cooking etc just now.

Hymnbook Mon 30-Nov-20 13:19:32

Youcantchoosethem thinking about you and your very difficult situation. I do hope everything turns out well for you and your loved ones. My sister had a blood test today and she was appalled at the attitude of the nurse. She didn't believe that covid existed. She was against the vaccinations and told my sister she wasn't going to have one. With attitudes like hers we will never beat this. It leaves me speechless.

Nespa53 Mon 30-Nov-20 13:45:50

Such difficult times for all, despite being careful.

Do not beat yourself up, mums always tend to blame themselves.

Keep loving & praying, always HOPE.

Take care and here's to you all feeling better soon

Alexa Mon 30-Nov-20 13:53:17

Youcantchoosethem, best wishes for you speedy recovery.

cathymum Mon 30-Nov-20 14:01:03

Hope you recover soon best wishes!

fraz1946 Mon 30-Nov-20 14:32:07

to youcanchoosethem. I am very sorry to hear about your current situation. I was especially moved to learn of your son's complex needs. Having to keep him at arms length must be heartbreaking for both you and him. I can only hope that the virus does not become really bad for you and that your recovery is complete and happens very very soon, If you have the energy I am sure the many of use would like to know how things are progressing for you. I just wish there was more I could do for you than just write. With loving support to you and your family.

Maremia Mon 30-Nov-20 14:34:24

Good luck with this. Hope it is over soon. flowers

hulahoop Mon 30-Nov-20 14:37:45

Hope you only get a mild dose .best wishes.

TwoWolves Mon 30-Nov-20 14:48:07

I'm sorry you're in this awful situation youcantchoosethem and I hope your symptoms remain mild and you make a swift and full recovery.

But I think the reason that most people still 'don't really get it' is because most people haven't so far actually got it (covid, that is). And, if the vaccines are rolled out soon, most people won't get it.

Think of Charles - did Camilla get it? No. Think of William - did Kate get it, or his children? No. My son-in-law caught it recently. Did my daughter and their two children catch it? Did me and my husband catch it, despite being in contact with my son-in-law when he was probably at his most contagious? No, we didn't. I don't know how or why none of us did, but we didn't.

My daughter put it into context. She reminded me of the time she and her daughter lived with us before she got married. She had the flu, but though I looked after her and her daughter, I didn't catch it. Nor did my husband. However, we have both had the flu at other random times in our lives.

I would love it if 'the science' was able to explain why some people are more susceptible to catching covid than others.

GillT57 Mon 30-Nov-20 14:48:23

Sorry to hear about the difficulties the virus has caused you and your family and I hope that you get over it soon. You sound as if you are doing everything you can to limit the spread, it must be difficult for you. We are all here if you need a moan, or a chat or a boost!

Molly10 Mon 30-Nov-20 15:17:59

That's a very concerning situation for you. Wishing you well at this time and hoping all goes well. You sound precautionary sensible so I'm sure it will do. flowers

Dillonsgranma Mon 30-Nov-20 16:03:07

Oh dear! I am sorry you’re having a rotten time. Really hope you get well very quickly and I send hugs to you. I’m asthmatic as well xxx

Patsy429 Mon 30-Nov-20 16:25:52

So sorry for your situation. Hope things soon improve, you feel better and able to take control. What a horrible thing this virus is.

Sparklefizz Mon 30-Nov-20 16:31:57

Wishing you a speedy recovery Youcanchoosethem. flowers and I hope that your family stay safe.

Thank you for sharing your story as it might make people take more care. You did all the right things and I am so sorry that you still caught it. Life isn't fair, I know, and you have got a great deal to cope with.

In my area there are several help groups on Facebook for people with Covid - lovely people offering to bring food, collect prescriptions, etc. and people to offer general emotional support.

Luckygirl Mon 30-Nov-20 16:41:38

What a challenge for you all - I am so sorry you are in this situation.

I share your deep frustration with those who do not "get it" - but this is partly because of mixed messages from above - and the gang of Tory MPs who are being a thorn on the government's side do not help to consolidate the general message. The government was too slow to react at the start and we are all suffering the consequences of that.

Please look after yourself. flowers