Gransnet forums

AIBU

Netflix The Crown do you think it is disrespectful?

(63 Posts)
Sadgrandma Tue 01-Dec-20 10:58:08

I haven't seen this programme but, from what I have read, it seems to me that it is disrespectful to make a programme about people, royal family or not, without their express permission, certainly if, from what I have read, much of it is fictionalised. What do you all think?

Ellianne Sun 13-Dec-20 13:12:19

EllanVannin

I've never watched it and have no desire to I'd rather watch old reels of film about the Royals as I did last night when watching the life of Princess Alice, bless her.

I watched that last night too EllanVannin. Very interesting.
I now think the way Alice is portrayed in The Crown is actually very close to the truth. This leads me to believe that other portrayals must be pretty accurate too.

Anniebach Sun 13-Dec-20 12:11:05

If one is not treated respectfully they are treated disrespectfully surely ? Royal or not

Namsnanny Sun 13-Dec-20 12:02:53

Sorry I should have explained that Peter Morgan is the writer of the Crown.

Namsnanny Sun 13-Dec-20 12:01:40

Peter Morgan is on record as having anti royalist views.
But happily received a CBE medal a while ago.

Make of that what you will!

Nanna58 Sun 13-Dec-20 11:39:10

What I suppose I mean is that many events/ issues covered in the series are factual, and that , if they reflect badly on members of the RF we don’t owe them respect despite those facts just because they are royal.

Nanna58 Sun 13-Dec-20 11:31:10

I think everyone is entitled not to be treated disrespectfully, but still believe respect should be earned

Anniebach Sun 13-Dec-20 11:26:13

Surely everyone is entitled to respect ?

Nanna58 Sun 13-Dec-20 11:21:38

Disrespectful? Respect is not something you recieve just through birth. Many members of the RF have definitely not earned it. Only Wills & Kate in my view.

Anniebach Sun 13-Dec-20 10:31:52

No apology needed fevertree. My post re Robert Fellows was
in response to a poster questioning the accident.

fevertree Sun 13-Dec-20 10:23:38

Oh, I see, you were being ironic about Fellowes. Apologies I misunderstood.

Anniebach Sun 13-Dec-20 10:10:19

fevertree yes it was an accident, drunken driver, paparazzi
and not wearing seat belts - the verdict.

But some still believe the rubbish I posted, Robert Fellows had
to attend the inquest to deny he was in Paris that night , he was
in his village attending a talk given by a famous author , I have
forgotten the name of the author sorry .

fevertree Sun 13-Dec-20 09:57:29

Anniebach ^Diana wasn’t speaking to her mother or her siblings at the end
of her life^. That's the point I am making!

Re the inquest - no I didn't follow that but I've read enough aboyt it to accept that it was an accident.

lemongrove Sun 13-Dec-20 09:56:46

I have only seen the first two series, which were excellent drama based around actual events with much guesswork and
Made up conversations.Great acting from all concerned.
From hearsay, the later series are not as good.
Disrespectful? Possibly in certain parts, but it also shows flawed human beings, like all of us.Damaging perhaps, as the mystique about the RF is that they are somehow different!

Lucca Sun 13-Dec-20 09:14:00

Can’t fight back against GN prejudice either....

EllanVannin Sun 13-Dec-20 08:44:53

The Royals can't fight back about the programme can they ? It's not fair.

Anniebach Sun 13-Dec-20 08:40:34

fevertree. You didn’t follow the inquest ?

Diana wasn’t speaking to her mother or her siblings at the end
of her life. You really think she would have listened to anyone?

fevertree Sun 13-Dec-20 08:07:41

Crikey, Anniebach you'll be had for libel! You can't possibly state those as facts. Diana died in an accident.

She really was like a candle in the wind that Summer. I watched a programme (with actual news footage) and she was all over the place, U.S. (Versace funeral), Angola, Bosnia, back and forth to the Med, it was as if she was on a speeding train. I felt so sorry for that young woman.

Newly divorced, she had no apparent guidance from a mother, or even her ex mother-in-law. And then she lost her life in a car driven by a drunk driver in what should have been a five minute journey. A great tragedy.

I agree Season 4 of The Crown is not as good as the earlier ones.

EllanVannin Sun 13-Dec-20 08:06:24

I've never watched it and have no desire to I'd rather watch old reels of film about the Royals as I did last night when watching the life of Princess Alice, bless her.

GrannyLaine Sun 13-Dec-20 08:02:00

The series as a whole has been interesting. I don't think its disrespectful but we found the latest season rather grim watching. I particularly disliked Gillian Anderson's portrayal of Margaret Thatcher.

Jules48 Sun 13-Dec-20 07:48:18

www.bt.com/tv/drama/the-crown-season-5-netflix-cast-characters-release-start-date-time-period-true-story-history-plot-storyline-filming-locations

Seems there will be a further series, with Imelda Staunton as the Queen - but filming delayed due to Covid

Blencathra Sun 13-Dec-20 07:44:03

It is just a drama - take it all with a large pinch of salt! I wouldn’t make your mind without seeing it.

Lolo81 Sun 13-Dec-20 04:36:03

As far as I am aware there will be at least another series, casting as others have said is ongoing. The creators have said they will take it through to the end of Tony Blair’s term in office so 2001?
I’ve found the whole series very interesting, especially the earlier seasons and the episode on the outcasted family members in institutions was heart breaking. I do think that it could potentially re-ignite the public distaste toward the Duchess of Cornwall though.

silverlining48 Fri 11-Dec-20 17:22:09

Clearly none of us were witness to private conversations. I am not a particular fan of the RF but do remember what was happening at the time ( it couldnt be avoided) via our media and the foreign press who have no rules about not reporting about our RF.
Ages before it was announced we knew that C and D were divorcing and further back, the divorce of Margaret and Armstrong Jones. None of this had been reported by our press.

Jane10 Fri 11-Dec-20 17:14:36

It's not the last series. The next one will have the Queen portrayed by Imelda Staunton. Hmmm

Anniebach Fri 11-Dec-20 17:10:53

You were witness to private conversations silverling or you
remember what was claimed in the press ?