Gransnet forums

AIBU

Husband always ‘ill’

(65 Posts)
Daisy2018 Wed 09-Dec-20 17:52:27

Please tell me if I’m being unreasonable: my husband has always got something wrong with him. Either a cold, sore throat, aching feet etc. He will tell me his ailments each day which I can ignore most of the time, but over the last few years he is taking more and more time off work. He is self employed and then doesn’t get paid. He’s a few years younger than me and I’m due to retire soon but feel responsible for our income incase he takes too much time off, so not sure if I should carry on working. I just feel like saying man-up and get on with it. He then watches TV all day when he’s ‘ill’ which also drives me mad !

Nannan2 Thu 10-Dec-20 11:04:25

Its hypochondria- a lot of blokes 'suffer' from it? Tell him to get to the docs &prove it one way or the other- or just go to work with a cold.??

Sadgrandma Thu 10-Dec-20 11:01:22

I had a sister-in-law who always had something wrong with her, so much so that we used to joke about it behind her back. Unfortunately she then became terminally ill and subsequently died. You can imagine we all felt terrible. I'm afraid it was much like the boy who called wolf. Daisy, I agree with other posts, that he should be encouraged to have a check up and remind him of the story of the boy who called wolf.

Helenlouise3 Thu 10-Dec-20 10:47:48

Do you think he's genuinely ill or just likes to complain. I have a family member that has something wrong with her every day. In fact her husband says that the day she wakes up and says there's nothing wrong with her, then he'll begin to worry. mind you she never loses a day's work. I think some people just like talking about every tiny ailment.

Coco51 Thu 10-Dec-20 10:42:51

My mother was a chronic hypochondriac. She went to the doctor every couple of weeks. One day my father was so fed up he said ‘Where have we got cancer today?’ She eventually died because she wouldn’t take medicine for osteoporosis and died from complications when she broke her leg.

Toadinthehole Thu 10-Dec-20 10:38:35

I’m sure it’s already been said, but he sounds depressed. This would give him physical ailments. He should see/ talk to his GP.

JdotJ Thu 10-Dec-20 10:34:56

BBbevan

Think that is called ‘lazyitis’.

So true

Grannyof8 Thu 10-Dec-20 10:04:49

I do think a visit to your GP is a good start. My husband is often ill too, and after referral to an immunologist it turns out he has a deficiency of something vital in his immune system which means he is much more susceptible to germs and viruses than most people. Now that he understands why he gets ill so often he deals with it much better, as do I.

Kamiso Thu 10-Dec-20 09:59:01

My Dad’s diabetes was over-looked whilst every other test known to man was done. My stepmother keeping up a litany of complaints because he was constantly exhausted.

At his last GP appt he was told there was nothing wrong with him but as he was about to leave the room the doctor said that they may as well do a urine test.

Next thing my dad was being told to sit still, not move, as an ambulance was on the way. The urine test was obviously not good and the doctor panicking that he had missed a vital step.

I do wonder if that’s partly why we lost him in his early 70s but we’ll never know.

Battersea1971 Thu 10-Dec-20 09:58:19

I had this problem withmy husband. Eventually they tested his psa and found he had prostate cancer. I think you should take this seriously. I wish I had at the time and he would still be alive now. I thought he was being a hypochondriac. Get him checked. As often they have no symptoms just feel unwell. Take it seriously.

Susieq62 Thu 10-Dec-20 09:52:30

I suspect he is depressed so needs help

Redhead56 Thu 10-Dec-20 09:41:50

We were self employed and just could not stay off work with coughs or colds. Even with serious hip problem I still had to travel to work. It could be a depression or midlife crisis coming on.
You obviously can’t get involved with him at the Doctors because of COVID. But you could suggest he ring up the surgery and ask for a phone consultation. He. won’t be on his own there are probably lots of people feeling the same way.

timetogo2016 Thu 10-Dec-20 09:40:51

Sounds like you married a male version of Dot Cotton.
And BBbevan is spot on.

kwest Thu 10-Dec-20 09:37:14

Sounds like it may have started as depression and now confidence has gone.
You could try taking to your bed (drastic and a bit scary I know) and saying I'm so sorry Darling but I am feeling ill and exhausted. I need you to take over everything until my energy comes back.
It's kind of tough love but you are giving him a chance to shine without criticism and to be the hero. Give him lavish praise when he gets the smallest thing right, try to ignore it when he gets things wrong. Remember you are ill and exhausted. I think two or possibly three weeks should crack it.

NanaPlenty Thu 10-Dec-20 09:35:19

Depression possibly or it could be habit. My man suffers a bit with depression especially in the winter. Having said that he also complains every day.... haven’t slept, can’t sleep, different aches and pains and I know most of it is just a habit he’s got into. I care deeply for him and have learnt to assess to a degree when it needs medical investigation and when it’s just general moaning. It is very wearing and I find like a lot of men he is always reluctant to do anything to improve whatever’s wrong! I would definitely try and get him checked out for depression and any other possibilities but also make sure you take time to look after yourself - time out etc. Can you talk to him and tell him how it’s affecting you/maybe try some counselling? My husband didn’t want to see a counsellor but when he did it was a real help. Best wishes to you .

bear1 Thu 10-Dec-20 09:34:23

If he is ill you should tell him to say in bed until he is better if he is watching tv all the time get the hoover out turn off the tv and start hoovering. i had an ex just like that but he also pleaded a bad back every time the lawn needed mowing or the washing up doing.never wanted to go out and yet always had time to go see his adult kids i ended up leaving him got divorced and now he has to do it all himself.

Mini2020 Thu 10-Dec-20 09:32:42

Sounds like your husband truly isn’t happy. Telling you his illnesses is a way of getting you to give him attention, I would suggest he has depression and needs help, I recognise some of the signs. Try to be sympathetic and get him some help.

Bluekitchen192 Thu 10-Dec-20 09:28:25

Id suggest he may be depressed and neither of you have recognised the symptoms. It often manifesta as low grade ohysical illness that is tiring for everyone. If this is the case he will need help but I can assure you a diagnosis can often come S a relief and bring a surge of energy. There are a number of treatments availanle on line. Called CBT they can be quite effective for low to medium depression. Just be aware that it should be a professional that does the diagnosis and that yhe causes might surprise you.

NotSpaghetti Thu 10-Dec-20 09:26:42

he says he feels so useless and can’t help feeling ill all of the time

I think, as others have suggested, he may be genuinely ill. He may have a milder form of ME (which is varied anyway) that makes him unable to function at 100% or maybe he's depressed.

If it's "officially" a pay-off, is he any happier?

Iam64 Thu 10-Dec-20 08:23:16

Is he depressed? This kind of preoccupation and anxiety around physical health can be a manifestation of anxiety and depression.
Be honest with him about how you feel and ask him to phone your surgery to make an initial phone appointment with the doctor.

PollyDolly Thu 10-Dec-20 07:50:03

Although you don't mention what OH does for a living I can't help thinking that by being self employed he's letting customers down by taking time off work........glad I've not approached him to do anything for me!

He obviously doesn't like his work and finds any excuse to not go out to work.

Time for some tough talking Daisy2018, the next occasion that he complains about feeling unwell you have to tell him that it's gone on long enough, make an appointment with the GP ( early stages will no doubt be a phone consultation but will be a step in the right direction ) and tell him exactly how his behaviour is making you feel insecure about the future.

Puzzler61 Thu 10-Dec-20 07:29:01

If your husband is unenthusiastic about his job he could be feeling low/ depressed even. It’s a known fact that poor mental health negatively impacts physical health which could leave him vulnerable to aches, pains, coughs, colds and worse.
I think he needs to open up to you and his doctor about what could be going on with him. He may not be able to unravel it by himself. Good Luck to both of you.

Daisy2018 Thu 10-Dec-20 07:15:10

Thanks everyone for your comments. I do feel bad now complaining but when I do talk to him about it, like just now, he says he feels so useless and can’t help feeling ill all of the time. He has got a cold though !

Nadateturbe Wed 09-Dec-20 22:53:25

He could have something like M.E. Perhaps you could look up the symptoms. People with this illness are often accused of being just lazy.
Or as Monica said he could be suffering from other illnesses.
It may be difficult for you to cope with, but he may be feeling really down about it and can't really explain how he feels.

merlotgran Wed 09-Dec-20 22:38:58

It's been going on for years. Time for some tough action.

Jane10 Wed 09-Dec-20 22:37:53

Days off not says off.