Gransnet forums

AIBU

Feeling bad about nephews visit

(60 Posts)
Glenfinnan Wed 23-Dec-20 23:51:24

We are being extremely careful with regard to the virus. Common sense and the Government guidelines say no Household mixing which I agree with! Do why did I feel so mean keeping my nephew and his daughter on the doorstep today when they delivered a gift to us!! Mixed up or what!

nananet01 Sat 26-Dec-20 11:17:55

Haha Miss Chateline....you're right we need a bit of humour !!

MissChateline Fri 25-Dec-20 17:21:18

Damn.....I knew I had forgotten something......I didn’t disinfect my partner at least 3 times and leave him in the porch for 72 hours.......honestly.....

GrauntyHelen Thu 24-Dec-20 22:41:58

We've had no one inside since March apart from HCPs

nananet01 Thu 24-Dec-20 22:20:35

Our double garage is attached to our kitchen. I made up a makeshift lounge I scrubbed the outside furniture and laid it out. I sprayed the garage and left the garage door up. My son felt comfortable and stayed an hour. I hope I havent put him at risk. Reading this I'm worried now. We were a good 2 metres apart and in coats as the door stayed up.

4xGranny Thu 24-Dec-20 20:32:22

My DS came round to exchange presents this afternoon. We stood at opposite ends of the drive. It was freezing and heartbreaking not to ask him in or at least have a hug. It won’t be for ever.

Smiffy58 Thu 24-Dec-20 17:59:27

My sister,BiL and nephew are planning to "pop on" Xmas morning, which I don't feel comfortable with. My DH has offered to be the Grinch and say they can't come in!

Astelle29 Thu 24-Dec-20 16:14:18

I know exactly how you feel. My grandson, his wife and 3 great grandchildren have just brought presents for me, and I gave them their presents on the doorstep. The girls are 11 and 8 and understand, but the little boy is 3 and he came up the drive singing Merry Christmas with the present , and as they were leaving he ran back and hugged me round my legs, I felt so sad that I couldn't give him a cuddle.

NannyG123 Thu 24-Dec-20 16:12:03

I did the same with my son. He stood halfway along the garden path. But everyone in my family are sticking to the rules to stay safe

Patticake123 Thu 24-Dec-20 16:10:20

Today is my Granddaughter’s 8th birthday. My daughter, her husband and both children have just been to see us. They sat on dining chairs in the garden, covered by blankets, hugging hot water bottles and drank a coffee. We agreed this was a Christmas Eve we’ll never forget. Do I feel guilty? Not for a minute. Do I feel sad? Absolutely.

lmfielden Thu 24-Dec-20 16:03:29

We don’t let anyone in....nobody has entered since March...my children and grandchildren think I’m nuts making them stay in the garage while I talk to them through the window...breaks my heart! ??

Tolaton21 Thu 24-Dec-20 14:29:10

My son & GC are coming this afternoon to swap presents, my husband has MS can’t stand. So I’ve opened the side gate, opened the patio doors & turned my husbands chair around. They will stand back in the garden.!!!
Ps it’s going to be very cold & windy, I’ve poured myself a glass of sherry ready to warm me up !!

Wibblywobbly Thu 24-Dec-20 14:24:17

I felt exactly the same when my lovely aunt delivered a present. It felt so mean not to invite her in for a cup of tea and give her a hug. People do understand though.

Oldbat1 Thu 24-Dec-20 14:18:56

Craftycat we’ve chopped our turkey in two. Half for the two of us tomorrow and the other half in the freezer for Easter. We did the same last year.

Gingergirl Thu 24-Dec-20 14:12:11

You did nothing wrong. It’s instinct to be with family and so it’s bound to feel wrong. I think at some level we will all go through it. Perhaps you could text, email or phone to say thanks again if they gave you a gift, and to say sorry they couldn’t have come in. (I bet they weren’t even expecting to anyway but it will help you feel more settled).

Craftycat Thu 24-Dec-20 14:05:55

We swopped presents with son, DIL & GC on drive yesterday. It was so hard not to be able to hug them. I confess I shed a few tears after they left. Spoke to my older DGC last night-they were coming here for Christmas day. Now I have a huge turkey for 2 of us & 3 cats.
What a strange year!

TwinLolly Thu 24-Dec-20 13:46:33

Not May... I meant "Maybe"..blush

TwinLolly Thu 24-Dec-20 13:45:54

May call and apologise/gently explain why you didn't let them in but reassure them too, that you wouldn't normally hesitate under the circumstances. Best of luck and merry Christmas. tchwink

Tiggersuki Thu 24-Dec-20 13:10:36

I too hate this Covid world and now life at times feels a bit of an endurance test.
During the last week as people have popped round to deliver cards and gifts it feels rude to leave people on the doorstep to shout at each other from about 8 feet away. Yesterday in the pouring rain a friend would not even step into our hall when I stepped back about 12 feet. Very uncomfortable but my husband says at least my Christmas cake which he reckons I share too freely will last another week!!!!
We are all sharing this horrible weird existence. Roll on vaccination.

Cabbie21 Thu 24-Dec-20 13:06:53

I took presents to my son and we all stood on the drive. They kindly provided me with a seat so I was able to stay a bit longer.

earnshaw Thu 24-Dec-20 13:01:04

we have been doing that with our daughters and their families for the past months, no one feels guilty, my daughters insist on it so please dont feel bad

cornishpatsy Thu 24-Dec-20 12:55:39

Had to laugh at Joesoap typo, leasing christmas presentsgrin

newnanny Thu 24-Dec-20 12:49:04

You did the right thing. When we have all had vaccines invite him over then. If everyone behaved in the sensible way you did there would be less spread. The family across from me have had people in and out for about a week. They seem to stay for about half an hour then leave. It infuriate me.

polnan Thu 24-Dec-20 12:44:30

same with not being able to hugs.. especially when someone upset.

I am visiting my ds and dil Christmas Day as is her mum and step dad, her mum had cancer op, and she is going,

now my older ds and dil and 4 gks, my support bubble... boxing day arrange, I can`t make my mind up whether to go or not.. but we can be in their garden.

sodapop Thu 24-Dec-20 12:32:49

Good idea Awesomegranny each kind thought helps. It does go against all our instincts not to offer hospitality especially at this time of year. Let's hope we can get together a bit more next year.

Awesomegranny Thu 24-Dec-20 12:23:21

It’s difficult times and people do understand. Works both ways, they don’t want to put themselves at risk either. Contact is good outdoors or by phone. Why not call them tomorrow and wish them a merry Christmas and thank them for their gift, a little goes a long way at the moment.