Gransnet forums

AIBU

Fireworks , ugh

(103 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Thu 31-Dec-20 08:33:38

I can’t stand the things, frightening all the wildlife and pets . Hoping we won’t have many in our area tonight, we have three pets our dog reacts to them by wagging his tail and barking, one cat runs behind sofa and the other one watches them out the window, feliway at the ready

SillyNanny321 Thu 31-Dec-20 11:10:40

Try having your 5year old waking at 11.30pm screaming in fright last night as my DS & DDiL had. Inconsiderate ratbags, not neighbours just idiots out looking for someone/thing to annoy! Displays without the noise are fine but the loud bangs are unnecessary & scare both young children & animals!

libra10 Thu 31-Dec-20 11:17:50

My dog has only just recovered from the trauma of the November fireworks. He hides behind the sofa, shaking and trembling.

I definitely don't want him to become so upset again.

moggie57 Thu 31-Dec-20 11:20:37

a few fireworks might cheer some people up......what else we got ...

Annaram1 Thu 31-Dec-20 11:23:54

On 5 November when my children were small we used to have a little bonfire in the garden and let off a few fireworks. Our collie loved sitting with us and watching the rockets soar into the sky. Her puppy was petrified and used to rush into the house and hide behind the toilet.

Moggycuddler Thu 31-Dec-20 11:28:56

Hate them. And so do my cats.

Plunger Thu 31-Dec-20 11:33:37

I love fireworks. I am not a dog lover, especially when the owner allows them to run and jump up at you whilst all they can say is ' he's only being friendly '. It can go and be friendly away from me. My DGC are now terrified of dogs after more than one owner allowed their dogs to run up to them, push them, lick them etc. Thay were only 2 and it's the equivalent of a rather large horse shoving their nose into an adult. But owners think it's ok because its ' only being friendly . Also irresponsible owners who either don't pick up the poo or put it in plastic bags that don't decompose. They then chuck them into the hedges or simply leave them by the path. This is not environmentally friendly at all. I'd like to see a comparison of the environment damage done by fireworks v the millions of plastic used by dog owners.

SuzannahM Thu 31-Dec-20 11:43:54

I don't hate fireworks, especially good displays.

But I am heartily sick of the constant 'bang bang bang'. We've had them for a week already for an hour a night (and we can't even see them!) and it will go on for another few weeks after New Year. They are used regularly for birthdays/anniversaries all year. Then there is October and November almost every night again.

Kalu Thu 31-Dec-20 12:08:17

A controlled display is one thing but the idiots who set off what sound like bombs exploding, any evening,out of the blue, just for fun? This is what I don’t like. They are not celebrating anything and don’t care who it annoys or upsets.

Ailidh Thu 31-Dec-20 12:29:11

Hate them, always have done, from childhood.

My previous dogs were unmoved, my present one who is an eastern European rescue, is terrified.

I can see the skill in an organized display but I think they should be banned to individuals.

Ellet Thu 31-Dec-20 12:39:00

I love fireworks and always have. I don’t mind the loud noise but do understand that animals are frightened. My friend, who lived very near the park where the Nov 5th display took place used to put very loud music on for her dogs. It seemed to do the trick.

henetha Thu 31-Dec-20 12:45:35

We don't get many round here, but I used to enjoy them,- at a distance.
I don't like being too near them.
I feel sorry for pets who are scared, Wiggy is usually asleep by then and the few we get never seem to wake her up.

felice Thu 31-Dec-20 13:01:13

Not sure about being silent here in Belgium, there were a few loud bangs about at Halloween.
As there is a 10.00pm curfew here including in your own garden I am assuming we will not hear too many tonight. Our cats watch from the upstairs window where they have been isolating since the beginning of lockdown in March and the dog sits and barks at every bang. Eccentric animals in our house.
Anyway Happy New year when it comes wherever you are, stay safe and God Bless.

Aepgirl Thu 31-Dec-20 13:01:45

My poor dog, who sadly died some years ago, was a quivering wreck by the noise of fireworks, so I can understand why people dread them, as I did. However, we can’t all have everything to our liking and many people, particularly children, love them. I think we all have to be tolerant of each other.

Iam64 Thu 31-Dec-20 13:04:43

I'm not a fan, other than for the occasional organised display. I'd prefer it if they weren't available to the general public, just to organised events approved by the l.a.
I have been lucky, none of my dogs have been bothered by fireworks. I've had puppies and adult rescues, I use the firework noise app and play it for a few days before any firework event so the dogs are acclimatised. If anyone hasn't used it, and has fearful dogs, its worth a try. You start very low volume and build up very gradually over a week or so.
I feel for anyone who has been traumatised by fire/explosions/war, it must be terrifying.
Having had my moan, I accept we'll be subject to noise from early evening today. I can't grumble, people need a bit of fun on NYE. (though most of us will be home alone/with our household)

Casdon Thu 31-Dec-20 13:12:12

I love fireworks, they are one of the few hangovers of childhood wonder left.
My dog completely ignores them - he was a September puppy, don’t know if that’s anything to do with it as the first time he would have heard them he would have been a tiny puppy. I’ve had a number of cats over the years, and always kept them inside for the few days around bonfire night and on New Years Eve and none of them have ever bothered either, maybe they pick it up anxiety from us.

icanhandthemback Thu 31-Dec-20 13:12:51

I've had animals all my life and have been lucky they have never been bothered by fireworks. The cats are more bothered by workmen being next door next to their catio.
I do feel sorry for animals and their owners for the panic it can inspire and can't help thinking that a compromise could be made. Fireworks, other than organised 'licensed' displays, should be between very specific times on certain days. There is absolutely no need for them to be allowed willy nilly so animals cannot be prepared.

Kartush Thu 31-Dec-20 13:17:01

I was born on 5th November so as a child I actually thought the fireworks were for me and I loved them. I still like a good display.
Here in Australia where I live now it is against the law for private individuals to buy fireworks, oh I am sure some get round the restrictions but it is not the norm. There are no fireworks on 5th November and none at Christmas. There will be big displays in the city for NY but I am not sure if our council are doing anything this year.
I sort of miss my birthday fireworks

Mollyplop Thu 31-Dec-20 13:29:53

Plunger, fireworks and irresponsible dog owners are two different issues. I do have a dog but completely agree with what you are saying about stupid owners who let their dogs jump all over people.

I just wish fireworks were silent. The noise is so unnecessary.

3nanny6 Thu 31-Dec-20 13:32:03

I am already getting a bit anxious for tonights fireworks and am not looking forward to them. I would not mind just a few
rockets and a couple of pretty colourful ones however over the back of our houses there are one or two families that set off fireworks that sound like they have been made with incendiary substances producing noise as loud as bombs. One of my dogs is terrified and I use a small bit of medication for her and the only thing to comfort her is to sit and stay with her. As they do these damn fireworks for about three quarters of an hour or longer I cannot get to bed until almost one o clock which is really annoying.

So that's my moan apart from that Happy New Year to all.

3nanny6 Thu 31-Dec-20 13:45:47

Plunger : I appreciate that you like fireworks, however you go on to discuss the training/lack of training of peoples pets which this thread is not about so why don't you start a different thread for that.? Also there are biodegradable poo bags that are not harmful to the environment and most of the time I see these deposited in the bins for that use by responsible owners. It is crystal clear you have very little affinity to dogs, your loss.

BlueRuby Thu 31-Dec-20 13:58:44

I love fireworks. None of my cats have ever been worried by them. They have watched them through the window and gone to sleep when they got bored. I think pets are as nervous and hysterical as their owners - sorry, but if you don't like fireworks your mood affects your pets. Close the curtains, turn up the TV, have a large glass of prosecco or a double g and t, watch something that makes you laugh. There's precious little to enjoy these days and a bit of sparkle, bang and glitter uplifts the majority, even if it's just for a moment.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 31-Dec-20 14:00:44

i do enjoy fireworks, but in their place!! organised fireworks only, please

Maggiemaybe Thu 31-Dec-20 14:06:11

I love watching a proper firework display, and am going to miss the televised displays from round the world tonight, but they are so powerful now and I do worry about the safety aspect. I once saw a rocket at a Nursery display shoot off across the field and embed itself in an empty pram, just where a toddler’s head rests. And a huge rocket once ripped through the roof of a friend’s parked car. It seems odd that any idiot’s allowed to play with explosives.

rockgran Thu 31-Dec-20 14:06:56

Not keen -always seem such a waste of money. I was hoping this year might start a quieter trend and put an end to the huge displays which began at the Millennium celebrations.

Dianehillbilly1957 Thu 31-Dec-20 14:09:04

I think they should only be allowed for organised displays, and not to use by the general public, that way it's a one off and doesn't drag on for days willy nilly scaring poor animals that have no understanding. Safer too.