Gransnet forums

AIBU

Becoming a vaccinator

(52 Posts)
FoghornLeghorn Thu 31-Dec-20 20:30:48

As a recently/retired Registered Nurse I thought I’d do the decent, public-spirited thing and offer my skills for the vaccine rollout. Given the urgency of the situation you would hope the process would be pretty user-friendly and efficient. But then you kick yourself for being stupid as the bureaucratic monolith known as the NHS is responsible for the recruitment process.

Oh my goodness, what a depressing, but sadly predictable performance! I am currently ploughing my way through the online training and yes, everything that you’ve read in the press is true. One of the modules is indeed Preventing Radicalisation!

Somebody in government really needs to get a grip of this and issue an instruction to NHS Providers that given the current situation, recruitment processes need to be logical and reasonable if the whole thing isn’t to end up as a fiasco. It’s absolutely infuriating that the UK forged ahead with a vaccine only to be in danger of hitting the buffers with the mass vaccine programme because of the usual paralysing red tape and inefficiency that seems inherent in our public services.

flopen Tue 12-Jan-21 12:39:00

I volunteered as just a steward for the St John's Ambulance, but gave up. All I would be doing is standing out in the cold, telling people where to go, but, no, they need to know my employment history, my sexuality, whether I identify as the sex I was born as etc etc. 8 sections!
I genuinely try and not be a 'the world's gone mad' sort of person. But this is ridiculous.