Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think this house will never, ever sell for the asking price.

(48 Posts)
Blossoming Tue 19-Jan-21 22:53:24

“Please be aware this property is being sold by family members as part of a relatives estate. It was the deceased's wishes to be buried in the garden as he was born and died in the house. This wish has been carried out and the property will be sold as is.“

Personally I wouldn’t buy it, I wouldn’t even want to live next door to it! I’d have no problem living near a graveyard though.

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/76868103#/media?id=media1

David0205 Wed 20-Jan-21 12:50:28

Bibbity

Can the new owners not have the body moved upon purchase?
Professionally of course. Not shovels and skips etc.
If that was a possibility and I did want the house I would offer low and do that.

No, the relatives would object, they decided to carry out the disceased’s wishes and it was legal.
At some time in the future an owner could apply, probably to a court to move the body, if no relatives objected it could be done I’m sure - a financial inducement would help.

Bibbity Wed 20-Jan-21 13:36:05

But if they did it after the purchase who could stop them? That’s all I’m wondering? People who don’t own the house can’t say what happens can they?

crazyH Wed 20-Jan-21 13:44:00

He has left one of his slippers on the desk ?

SueDonim Wed 20-Jan-21 13:57:02

I think there’s a body in my DD’s garden. Not a human one, thankfully, although it is a possibility.

There’s a small rockery outside their sunroom, with one larger rock kind of visually anchoring the whole thing. One day in the summer I was in the garden and peered more closely at the stone. Underneath all the moss and lichen, I could see some scratching and when I removed that, I could see the name ‘Dylan’ had been roughly etched into the stonework. I assume it’s a dog, but who knows?

Anyway, I told dd not to dig too deeply round the rockery unless she wants a surprise! ?

Cherrytree59 Wed 20-Jan-21 13:57:15

Sale obviously includes few added extras
One body in the garden
One slipper
Several coat hangers
(on the bed in the blue room).?

Bibbity Wed 20-Jan-21 14:00:53

I just googled and you need the relatives signatures to Move the body.

Why on earth did they do this?! They couldn’t just said no and had him buried in a cemetery.

lemongrove Wed 20-Jan-21 14:50:21

I once read that you can bury a relative in the garden, but have to declare it when the house is for sale and make arrangements to disinter and re-bury elsewhere.

AGAA4 Wed 20-Jan-21 16:00:00

I wonder how many gardens have a body buried in them. My former house was over 200 years old so it is possible that there was someone buried there.
My mum thought the house was haunted but I couldn't believe that any self respecting ghost would stay with 3 noisy teenagers.

David0205 Wed 20-Jan-21 16:16:38

I think to most of us exhuming a body is a big deal akin to grave robbing, if you did without asking permission there would be trouble for sure.

Juliet27 Wed 20-Jan-21 16:23:02

Jane10

Been watching 'Finding Alice'?

My thought too Jane

GagaJo Wed 20-Jan-21 16:24:45

I don't think it would worry me, a body being buried in the garden.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 20-Jan-21 17:08:51

The programme Finding Alice on the TV has such a plot, husband is buried in the garden in a cardboard coffin. It would seem you have to get the Cuncils permission and the owners.

EllanVannin Wed 20-Jan-21 17:40:49

Why don't they go the whole hog and put a headstone up as well ? Couldn't be any worse if it's a coffin.!

Ashes are fine they can be spread round the roses.

avitorl Wed 20-Jan-21 17:49:54

My house has a Covenant on it that says no part of my garden can be used as a Cemetery.

David0205 Wed 20-Jan-21 19:30:51

I can’t help thinking that the back garden of a suburban semi is not a good place for a burial, regardless of the wishes of the family

Shandy57 Wed 20-Jan-21 19:43:02

My friend bought a farmhouse in Norfolk and saw a nun in her walled garden one morning - there is someone buried there.

PamelaJ1 Wed 20-Jan-21 20:06:42

The thing that would bother me would be the position of the grave and whether the relatives had visiting rights.

Sparkling Wed 20-Jan-21 20:09:15

I don’t think bodies should be buried in a residential garden. No objection to ashes scattered, but a body is just creepy.

Hellogirl1 Wed 20-Jan-21 20:20:36

My friend, who died recently, had 3 dogs and several rabbits and birds buried in her back garden. If her husband ever sells up, I wonder if he`ll declare the fact?

NotSpaghetti Thu 21-Jan-21 02:09:26

Sparkling I don't honestly see why it's "creepy" if you know about it.
It would be something else if you found one unexpectedly!

Nansnet Thu 21-Jan-21 05:59:56

I would imagine that lots of people probably have their ashes scattered in the garden of house they have lived in for a long time. And that wouldn't bother me, but the thought of an actual body being buried in the garden, I wouldn't think too many people would be happy about that.

My dad is hanging on to my mum's ashes, and wants to be scattered with her, when he eventually dies (not in the garden), but if he wanted to be actually buried in the garden it would be a 'no way' from me!

I must say, I'm very surprised that burials are allowed in residential areas like this. Although, I could understand it, if it were some big old rambling property in the country, with large grounds.

I don't think many people will be interested in buying this property, regardless of the asking price, knowing that there's a body in the garden. Unless, perhaps, a landlord who wants to buy to rent, and not actually live there themselves ...

Sparkling Thu 21-Jan-21 07:27:22

They will be lucky to get anything. Unless it was a legaaly binding request I wouldn't have agreed as the person making the request it wasn't thinking straight.