Gransnet forums

AIBU

To wonder why people don’t read the thread

(114 Posts)
Lucca Sat 30-Jan-21 11:37:11

Ok so I probably am BU. I just don’t understand how it happens. Do posters literally read the original post and reply without reading ANY other posts ? I’ve seen some threads where OP has returned several times to say the issue is sorted but posters still keep posting ! I’ve heard the excuse of not having time to read the thread but in that case why are you spending time on GN at all ??

sodapop Sun 31-Jan-21 13:29:15

I am using my Samsung tablet. The highlighting doesn't happen on my phone.

Atqui Sun 31-Jan-21 14:00:35

So sorry MaggieMaybe .I truly didn’t get what BU meant- I must have been HASM

Maggiemaybe Sun 31-Jan-21 14:06:46

Ah, got it! took a while smile

Atqui Sun 31-Jan-21 14:30:20

Should I add it to the list? grin

Atqui Sun 31-Jan-21 14:32:06

I’m sure there was a Monty Python sketch once made up of lots of abbreviations

Lucca Sun 31-Jan-21 14:56:03

I hereby apologise for using BU.......obviously I thought I was being very cool. !!

OurKid1 Sun 31-Jan-21 15:04:40

On Facebook there's an option to "turn off commenting" once an issue has been solved, or even if the OP has had enough of the replies! That's what we need here.

Witzend Tue 02-Feb-21 10:45:23

I can understand anyone not reading pages of it, but I can’t understand anyone replying when they haven’t even read the OP properly. And so they give ‘advice’ that ignores some basic fact the OP has stated clearly enough.,

Gin Tue 02-Feb-21 23:39:35

It amazes me how many people post a view or point that is exactly the same as one someone else has previously posted. What is the point? Do they just want to see their name in print?

GrannyRose15 Tue 02-Feb-21 23:52:34

So I haven't read all of the thread - so what? What I'd actually like to do is reply to individual comments that I have read and it appear under the comment rather than at the end of the thread. This is possible on some of the newspaper sites I visit.

But of course if you don't want to read what I have to say there is nothing forcing you.

Gransnet has been a lifeline for me during lockdown. It has replaced all the chats I would normally be having with real people - at work, at the school gate, at church, and at various social events with which I normally fill my life.

Don't knock it!

JackyB Wed 03-Feb-21 09:47:35

Grannyrose What I'd actually like to do is reply to individual comments that I have read and it appear under the comment rather than at the end of the thread.

You can use the quote function for that.

In all the threads where people have been asking for the OP's posts to appear in green throughout the thread there have always been a couple of people who say that this works on their device.

Can any of you post a screenshot of this please? GNHQ have always said it is not implemented on GN.

GrannyRose15 Wed 03-Feb-21 15:24:26

Jacky B. That would be a great feature. it would really help to keep track.

M0nica Wed 03-Feb-21 15:59:42

Most, if not all, problem threads involve a problem that is not singular to the poster.

That they have solved their problem does not mean that further communications will not help anybody else to whom the thread might be helpful.