Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be frustrated by Gransnet comment?

(84 Posts)
Youcantchoosethem Sun 31-Jan-21 10:50:38

Got today’s Gransnet email mailing this morning by and always read them. Today though got really quite frustrated by a line in the “advert” for the decluttering story saying “ Lockdown means we're all stuck at home with time on our hands”

Come on Gransnet many of us are key workers, working harder than ever during lockdown and this type of generalisation when we are tired is not needed! Sorry for the rant... calmer now. Time for a long walk to get fresh air. It’s been quite a week.

Squiffy Sun 07-Feb-21 12:27:56

grandmajet If you Google Shreddies Knitting Nanas you’ll see the advert that’s being referred to!

grandmajet Sun 07-Feb-21 12:31:45

Thank you. ?

Witzend Mon 08-Feb-21 08:22:05

I often wonder about the ages of whoever runs GN.
In particular their ‘kind advice’ of what to wear over 50 has been an irritant. Maybe they think we all wear shapeless beige trousers with elasticated waists, with one of those muddy-lilac Dannimac things if we do ever totter off to the shops for our tea and buns. With a woolly hat on top, of course.

Cabbie21 Mon 08-Feb-21 09:27:37

When I was working, paid work, I mean, I would not have had time to belong to Gransnet, let alone contribute! Since I retired , pre-pandemic, I have done two days a week voluntary advice work, as well as produce a weekly church newsletter for five years, help out with childcare and sing in three choirs. I have not done any knitting for over 45 years and have no aptitude for craft work , or anything practical really.

Even now, I still sing on zoom several times a week and do voluntary work from home. But Gransnet is a lifeline to the outside world, a change of view from the home in lockdown.

It is easy to make assumptions, worse still to pass judgement.

Gwyneth Mon 08-Feb-21 10:46:26

nannalyn just wondering why physios are not doing some face to face appointments when other NHS workers such as dentists are now doing so?

timetogo2016 Mon 08-Feb-21 10:53:15

That`s because you retired from work Blossoming,notfrom life.
Happy retirement.

lemsip Mon 08-Feb-21 11:25:07

dentists are open for appointments . had check up and extraction recently.

ZadieGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 08-Feb-21 14:14:57

Hi everyone, thanks so much for contributing to this thread.

Don't worry, we know lots of GNers are key workers (huge thanks for all you're doing) and are still working during the pandemic - the line we used was more in reference to time outside of work, and being at home more during free time due to the current restrictions. That said, we have noted your points and changed this line on the page to better reflect what we intended. Hope this helps flowers

Riverwalk Mon 08-Feb-21 14:25:34

Gwyneth

nannalyn just wondering why physios are not doing some face to face appointments when other NHS workers such as dentists are now doing so?

Many physios have been redeployed to ITU.

PamelaJ1 Mon 08-Feb-21 17:02:58

I heard, this morning, that one of the reasons that the high street won’t bounce back after this virus has moved on is the over 60’s.
Apparently we have just learnt to shop online. Aren’t we clever.?
Like all of you, I hadn’t mastered the ability until last March.

FarNorth Mon 08-Feb-21 18:28:05

Everything is the fault of the over-60s.
Voting the 'wrong' way, hogging our 'boomer' wealth, cluttering up the job market, cluttering up the housing stock, costing the UK a fortune in pensions, keeping everyone in lockdown, now ruining the High Street!
I don't know how we have the nerve.

FarNorth Mon 08-Feb-21 18:30:20

Witzend that sounds like me and my friends, all right. grin

grannyrebel7 Mon 08-Feb-21 19:19:02

I've worked at home throughout the pandemic. Can't wait to get back in the office!

janeainsworth Mon 08-Feb-21 19:23:02

Farnorth grin

Dinahmo Mon 08-Feb-21 23:41:06

I'm 74 and still working - from my home office. I enjoy my work and have no intention of giving up yet. Unless my brain starts to fail.

Dinahmo Mon 08-Feb-21 23:50:07

Knitting is popular amongst the young, from what I read. Sometimes it's the only way to get something interesting to wear. A few weeks ago there was a lot interest in a cardigan worn by Ed Sheeran - oversized and bright colours. I thought my OH might like it but then I found out that it was by Hermès and cost about £1200. Haven't found the time to look for a similar yet.

Doodledog Tue 09-Feb-21 08:24:26

I was just about to say similar, Dinahmo. I have knitted since childhood - sometimes it has been fashionable, sometimes not. I really daycare about that, but what does annoy me is the constant reference to it being an old person’s skill.

I got incredulous comments when I knitted at 17, and now that I fit what many are as the demographic a bit better (at 61), again, I hear ‘do they think we are all old biddies who knit and wear unfashionable clothes?’

Many of my clothes are envied by my children’s fashionable friends - the ones I have knitted myself?.

Witzend Tue 09-Feb-21 09:30:34

I do have time on my hands, but I don’t need any de-cluttering guru to tell me how to fill it, thanks very much. In any case I really don’t like minimalist interiors, nor the attitude that we should all be aspiring to some sort of Holy Grail of Kondo-ised perfection.
It probably wasn’t MK, but I’ve even seen books described as ‘clutter’!
Nuff sed really.

trisher Tue 09-Feb-21 10:08:44

Isn't Marie Kondo a bit passe? I'm sure I did her much before the first lockdown. Drew the line when she wanted me to divest myself of all the photos I didn't love, or which didn't speak to me. I'm the keeper of the family photos I'm still identifying half the people on them so I'm not throwing any out.
As for occupying time, did that in the first lockdown, crafts, crotchet etc. I'm time wasting this one! Mind folding clothes with love and care as Marie advocates takes time. Unfortunately if you are now caught thanking them it might be assumed lockdown has made you go cuckoo.

Callistemon Tue 09-Feb-21 10:20:47

Isn't Marie Kondo a bit passe?
Oh, thank goodness trisher

That's one anxiety I can forget about.

I'm knitting something very boring, this lockdown I seem to have lost any need for a challenge which is a bit worrying.

trisher Tue 09-Feb-21 10:28:34

Callistemon I live in hope that some solution will be found to my chronic untidiness. So I latch on to the latest fad/guru. It never lasts. I really should know better!
I've still got a blanket I started crotcheting in the first lock down.

Callistemon Tue 09-Feb-21 10:35:17

I did get a bit addicted to crocheting blankets (there are worse habits) but there's a limit to how many the family want.

I'm waiting for the 1921 to be available so I might renew my interest in family history (it's on the back burner)

Callistemon Tue 09-Feb-21 10:35:29

Census

aggie Tue 09-Feb-21 11:04:34

My DD knit the Ed Sheerin cardigan for her 16 year old , she is the envy of her friends

Alexa Tue 09-Feb-21 11:55:46

I never read the general Gransnet stuff because I see the irrelevant photos in the heading.