Gransnet forums

AIBU

...to consider this excessive?

(72 Posts)
Scribbles Mon 22-Feb-21 12:32:49

I needed new knickers. My local M&S didn't have the style/size I wanted so I ordered online. They've just arrived.
Inside the plastic bag they travelled in were four pairs of pants, each neatly slotted on to a little plastic clothes hanger. Each hanger bore a folded card bearing details of the garment - style name, size, photograph, price and some selling points.
Each garment had a cardboard tag, attached with one of those aggravating plastic toggle things, bearing the bar code, product number, size and other information plus, each garment also had an adhesive sticker attached, approximately the size of a 2p coin, reading ,"I'm in the knicker deal”
And, just in case I was in any doubt about what I had bought, each garment had its size, product numbers, branding and laundry instructions screen printed on it!

Maybe months of lonely house-arrest is getting to me and small things are looming too large in my mind but .... where, for goodness sake, did the notion of putting knickers on hangers arise? It's ludicrous. And why so much repeated product information? It's not necessary; it's irritating and it's all adding to the tide of plastic detritus that is covering the planet.

Larsonsmum Tue 23-Feb-21 10:43:30

I think you are right to say "small things are looming too large in your mind". Bet some of the women who have died from Covid would not be phased by this.....if they were still here.

jaylucy Tue 23-Feb-21 11:00:22

I always go for the multipacks that are all in one bag so no hangers at all beyond the plastic bit clipped on the top giving the size. Usually have to guess how they should be laundered as any labels I cut out!
I have had several parcels recently delivered that look as if the have been thrown in the path of a herd of wildebeest so couldn't tell who had packed them !

Daisend1 Tue 23-Feb-21 11:28:31

I've done with fancy underwear since there was no one to appreciate them grinother than me.
Its now supermarket cotton machine washable that come in plastic bags. These bags go in with other plastics that can be recycled.

readalot Tue 23-Feb-21 11:32:01

What an hilarious post.

vampirequeen Tue 23-Feb-21 11:35:59

Apparently big knickers are coming back into fashion as young girls are realising that cheese wire isn't as comfortable.

vampirequeen Tue 23-Feb-21 11:37:30

Hmm. Now I've written big knickers I bet I start getting adverts for them but it's too late because I'm a fan of M&S big knickers.

kwest Tue 23-Feb-21 11:39:44

This did make me giggle. Sorry, I am not being disrespectful of your opinions, but it feels as if this is what we have been reduced to by being incarcerated at home for so long.
It reminds me of letters to the Times by 'Outraged of Ipswich'.
We are all reasonably articulate and intelligent women with normally busy lives, but suddenly we have the time to sit down and write letters about how our knickers are packaged.
Don't worry , I have not missed the message about unnecessary packaging, with the amount of online shopping we have all done during the past year we must all have tales to tell.
I am going to make a coffee, read the newspaper, put my feet up and wonder at myself for having for the first time in my life answered a letter about excessively packaged knickers. It is like a Victoria Wood comedy sketch.

Froglady Tue 23-Feb-21 11:40:56

DiscoGran

Now I've go this little image in my mind of badgers on a production line, wearing caps and name badges, packing up goods to send out..

smile

Georgesgran Tue 23-Feb-21 11:47:06

I’ve really enjoyed watching Colin Murray hosting Countdown, but now find that the new regular presenter is to be Anne Robinson. As I’m only familiar with her acerbic persona in Weakest Link, I hope she’s more sympathetic to the Countdown contestants.

Countdown

Having seen another thread about new game shows - why not bring Weakest Link back without the sarcasm between rounds - it was a simple but effective format. I used to like 15-1 with William G, but when it came back they expanded the show to an hour with Sandi Toksvig (love her) chatting after every answer, but I felt it lost its edge.

Georgesgran Tue 23-Feb-21 11:48:28

Well, I’ve officially lost the plot!
How the Hell did this get posted on this thread???

Sorry everyone for the distraction!

Theoddbird Tue 23-Feb-21 11:51:06

It is years since I bought M&S knickers as they last so long. I used to buy 3 pair with every bra. Agree that all that info in package was unnecessary though

Aepgirl Tue 23-Feb-21 11:57:39

I had exactly the same experience, Scribbles. So much plastic in one little parcel. Ridiculous.

icanhandthemback Tue 23-Feb-21 11:58:17

Just loving the humour on this thread. ?

Daffydilly Tue 23-Feb-21 11:58:40

What a fabulous phrase. This is going into my favourite list.

Foxyferret Tue 23-Feb-21 12:01:16

Ferrets packing would be no use as they would never let go of the goods! (Being a ferret myself, I should know?

SusieFlo Tue 23-Feb-21 12:04:29

smile

Alison333 Tue 23-Feb-21 12:13:45

I wonder if the badgers employed by M & S get staff discount? Has anyone seen any badgers with handbags in their garden?

JaneJudge Tue 23-Feb-21 12:21:41

The badger set in my garden have applied to go on Countdown

DanniRae Tue 23-Feb-21 12:43:32

Do you think that the badgers are also employed to badger people into buying M&S knickers? blush

Diggingdoris Tue 23-Feb-21 12:58:22

This post has made me laugh this morning. Thank you!
It reminded me of the last time I bought some bras in m&s, when I was asked at the till if I wanted the hangers! Does anyone hang their bras in the wardrobe?confused

GreenGran78 Tue 23-Feb-21 13:01:17

An animal-ated conversation about knickers. Just what I needed to cheer my day!
Going off at a tangent, but on a similar vein.....
My granddaughter received a Valentine’s card from her boyfriend which stated
Roses are red
Foxes are clever.
I like your bum
Let me touch it for ever!
Who said that romance is dead? ?

Happyme Tue 23-Feb-21 13:04:02

No doubt one of the daily press will send in a mole to dig up the dirt on them DanniRae

annodomini Tue 23-Feb-21 13:27:19

The two packs I bought two years ago (M&S) are still going strong through frequent washes. I was thinking about replacing them as they seem to be getting too...big!

Alioop Tue 23-Feb-21 13:37:23

Never mind the Badgers, I think sloths are doing the deliveries. Takes ages for stuff to arrive. I got a message from a high street store to do a click and collect, but I hadn't ordered anything so I checked back to find the order number and it was one I did back in Nov, that they had to replace, it had finally arrived!

Harmonypuss Tue 23-Feb-21 13:59:25

I but my knickers in tesco or asda and they come on plastic hangers but I remove them from the hanger before leaving the store and leave it for them to dispose off or re'use, I don't need all this extra unwanted plastic in my life.