Gransnet forums

AIBU

Thinning hair!

(68 Posts)
foxie48 Sun 28-Feb-21 18:14:54

In my 70's and my lovely once thick hair is looking a little threadbare on top. During Covid lockdowns I've grown my hair into a chin length bob but I'd like it a bit fuller on the top. What are people's thoughts on hair pieces?

grandtanteJE65 Mon 01-Mar-21 12:43:48

I have tried all the many things suggested here but nothing help my thinning hair until recently.

So I am hoping it is related to the thyroid problem that I am being treated for now and that the medicine I am on is not only correcting my thyroid function, but stopping hair loss too.

So if the problem is new, ladies, it might be a good idea to have a word with your GP.

crazyH Mon 01-Mar-21 12:49:04

Highly recommend thickening mousse before blow drying.....works for me,

Le15 Mon 01-Mar-21 12:54:42

ive had ulcerative colitis for 20 years had to take steriods on and off my hair really suffered very thin got referred to a dermatologist who recommended regaine for women ive used it ever since although its will never be like it was in my teens thick and curly the regaine has stopped it falling out any more not cheap but if it makes me feel better then worth it

foxie48 Mon 01-Mar-21 12:56:03

Certainly some things to try, my hairdresser says my hair is thick compared to most people of my age but because it's only thinning on the top whilst the sides are still thick it's very unbalanced. I don't want to go back to short layer cut hair so if anyone can recommend a topper, please do. I want a bit of height and covering the parting would improve my look. I've googled but it's difficult to know which are any good! I do colour my hair and find using the Clairol root concealer really does make my hair look thicker.

4allweknow Mon 01-Mar-21 13:08:05

Suffer from frontal alopecia and been attending consultant dermatoligist for 6 years. Had drugs but ended up with eye problems so they were stopped. At last appointment mentioned hair was thinning on top and was there anything I could do/take to limit loss. Emphatic NO. I mentioned Regaine but she outlined expense, need to continue use or problem just returns and not recommended for over 65year olds. Never considered clips. Only adapted hairstyle, stopped highlighting. Don't think I would enjoy having something on top of my head, maybe for a special occasion, but daily, couldn't imagine.

FannyCornforth Mon 01-Mar-21 13:12:10

I've had another idea, don't know how I forgot - hair fibres!
I've used them near my temples where it's thinning. They work a treat, really thicken it up and give volume.
Topik is one brand. I think that the ones that I use are called Nano. I'll get back to you.

JOJO60 Mon 01-Mar-21 13:31:52

Lilylove ... if your hair is only thin at the front and the rest is alright, you need to get it checked with your GP. I have the same problem and have been diagnosed with frontal fibrosing alopecia where the hairline gradually recedes from the front yet the rest is thick and not affected. My GP has prescribed a steroid scalp lotion and I am awaiting an appointment with a dermatologist. I am just hoping that maybe by catching it early, I might be able to slow down its progress. But as 4allweknow says, there might not be much you can do to stop it altogether.

Amberone Mon 01-Mar-21 13:32:48

@tinytears be very careful using castor (or any) oil near your eyes - if it seeps in to your eyes they are going to get very red and sore.

I use an old mascara brush (very well cleaned!) and make sure that there is minimal oil on the brush - wipe it on a tissue first.

JOJO60 Mon 01-Mar-21 13:33:40

P.s. thank you to all the other posters who have suggested ways to disguise the thin hair. That will definitely be useful.

Luckylegs Mon 01-Mar-21 13:45:06

I’ve posted before that my hairdresser recommended (he would, wouldn’t he) to use Nioxin shampoo and conditioner. I buy it on the internet, cheaper than salons and it lasts ages. It has certainly improved my hair, not thick as it was but definitely thicker.

lemsip Mon 01-Mar-21 14:00:58

just google hair toppers for thinning hair....loads of clip in pieces come up on amazon etc. not expensive either

Ilovedragonflies Mon 01-Mar-21 15:55:27

I quite liked the max active comment. I knew exactly what you meant!! grin

CarlyD7 Mon 01-Mar-21 15:57:02

Can be related to a thyroid problem (very common in those of us in our "third age"). Can affect your eyebrows too. Might be worth talking to your GP.

dogsmother Mon 01-Mar-21 16:12:44

It was first symptom that took me to the doctor for my under active thyroid. Massively thinning hair, I was only in my 20s and when diagnosed realized all the other symptoms I’d had since childhood. The only thing I don’t suffer is the classic overweight.

queenofsaanich69 Mon 01-Mar-21 16:30:41

I purchased Biotin tablets several years ago but they gave me awful stomach pains.Thanks for everyone’s advice.

Billybob4491 Mon 01-Mar-21 17:16:06

I have the opposite problem Foxie, my hair resembles the end of a yard broom it is so thick.

Kamiso Mon 01-Mar-21 17:29:56

Amberone

@tinytears be very careful using castor (or any) oil near your eyes - if it seeps in to your eyes they are going to get very red and sore.

I use an old mascara brush (very well cleaned!) and make sure that there is minimal oil on the brush - wipe it on a tissue first.

I bought a product to thicken eyelashes and ended up with sore eyes. I now use it for my eyebrows.

tinytears Mon 01-Mar-21 17:38:23

Amberone

Thank you for the tip, will certainly be careful!

Hetty58 Mon 01-Mar-21 18:22:04

I use coconut oil on my face - as I'm allergic to so many things. If it gets in your eyes, it doesn't sting.

boho43 Mon 01-Mar-21 21:11:00

I have recently purchased a ‘Messy Bun’ scrunchie from Amazon, which is absolutely brilliant. Just put hair in a ponytail or just pull it back, put through the scrunchie, add a couple of pins to secure it, & voila.....a lovely messy bun! Takes about 2 minutes to do. Lots of hair colours to choose from, & excellent quality. Cost around £7. In fact I have just ordered another one.

dogsmother Tue 02-Mar-21 07:59:19

Boho. What a good idea!

Maggiemaybe Tue 02-Mar-21 08:05:28

I’d second the messy bun recommendation, Boho. My hair’s baby-fine and damaged easily by any clips, but even for me these are great for occasional use.

LaRia44 Tue 02-Mar-21 08:43:16

A cheap and very effective way to help with the look of thinning hair and grey roots too, is to use brown eyeshadow ( if you’re any shade of brunette) applied with a blusher brush, It doesn’t itch and lasts until the next the shampoo.
I have fine hair but a lot of it, although it falls out in handfuls due to stress, which I’ve had a lot of recently.

Witzend Wed 03-Mar-21 08:44:07

Re jelly, I could never understand how anyone could eat just one cube a day. Especially if it was the blackcurrant flavour. I have occasionally been known, ahem, to buy one of those just to eat the whole thing.

FannyCornforth Wed 03-Mar-21 08:55:20

Witzend but do you have really lovely nails?