Gransnet forums

AIBU

Wobbly legs...my fault!

(65 Posts)
Glenfinnan Thu 04-Mar-21 09:06:49

When I get up these mornings my legs feel wobbly! I have had every intention of walking everyday during this pandemic but haven’t done it! So now suffering the consequences! So today I’m starting a walk every day! Use it or lose it!

Witzend Fri 05-Mar-21 08:30:29

@humptydumpty, your post reminded me of my folks, who moved to a bungalow in their mid 60s - not because they’d particularly wanted one, but because it was all they could find in their chosen area.
After 3 years they decided they didn’t like the area after all, and moved again - to a house. And were shocked to find how the lack of stairs had affected their fitness.

Sunlover Fri 05-Mar-21 09:25:41

We moved to a second floor flat with a lift 4 years ago and I have made the effort to always use the stairs.
Have noticed I get far more tired more quickly since stopping exercise classes and swimming. Looking forward to restarting these at some point this year.

BlueBelle Fri 05-Mar-21 09:54:18

Put the NHS health app on your phones I count my steps that way and try and do at least 3000 to 5000 a day not counting walking around the house it’s not a lot but it keeps the blood flowing

Cabbie21 Fri 05-Mar-21 10:53:49

My exercise this morning is washing the floors on my hands and knees. Great for the spine, not so good on the knees. I have done downstairs loo/ shower and now just waiting for kitchen floor to dry, then it will be coffee time before I tackle bathroom upstairs.
I know I need to get out and walk more but I do not enjoy just walking the streets. Occasionally I drive to a park, but parking is not always easy. Everyone has the same idea.

Quaver22 Fri 05-Mar-21 11:02:21

I have arthritis in one of my knees which becomes very painful if I go a few days without walking. I try to go for a walk for a hour every day but I am so tired of trudging around my local area.I will be so pleased when we are allowed to drive for short distances so that I can get to my local park. It won’t be long now!

SusieFlo Fri 05-Mar-21 11:08:56

Goodness, 10 miles !

M0nica Fri 05-Mar-21 11:13:19

I am just getting back to outside activity after over three months while DH has been ill and in the early weeks of convalescence.

I haven't lacked activity, I have been up and down stairs and all round the house, which is very spacious, helping DH with everything, but I just haven't been able to get outside.

Now DH no longer needs physical care and constant supervision, I have been at last getting outside again, to walk and to garden and it is fantastic.

Aepgirl Fri 05-Mar-21 11:22:17

I decided to walk at least once a day during the first lockdown, and gave kept to it apart from a couple of days. Sometimes I don’t want to go out but once I’m on my way it’s all worth it.

Alioop Fri 05-Mar-21 11:25:28

I'm just back from my 2 hour morning dog walk. Go to the duckpond and then along the sea front to blow the cobwebs away and keep the legs moving.. I'll be out for another hour at 4pm with her. Dry weather makes all the difference though.

Spec1alk Fri 05-Mar-21 11:37:14

Glenfinan you could be describing me! Sciatica and a dvt following shoulder and upper arm replacement surgery meant that as the lockdown started I was unfit and unable to walk far so I stayed at home . Now twelve months later I’m realising that my legs are weak and a bit wobbly so this morning I walked to the local postbox, not far, but a start. I’m going to try to walk every day and get my strength back. Wish me luck! I hope you are able to do the same

Cabbie21 Fri 05-Mar-21 11:49:57

Now would be a good time, just before lunch. But I still need to wash the floor in the porch.

Glenfinnan Fri 05-Mar-21 11:59:06

Thank you for all your comments and encouragement! I’m just back from a walk .....just half an hour but will build up to more!

Aveline Fri 05-Mar-21 12:16:31

What do you mean 'just half an hour'! Well done. BTW I recommend circular walks if poss rather than having to retrace steps (if you see what I mean)!

Sararose Fri 05-Mar-21 12:20:57

If the weather is horrible I try and walk one or two miles with Leslie Samson. She has numerous videos on Utube suitable for all fitness levels.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Fri 05-Mar-21 12:38:12

I've upped my steps this last two weeks after ensuring I walk my dogs at least 3 times a day. Since October I have lost nearly two stone and that's just from walking a bit further. My job is fairly sedentary so once back in April will have to shorten the am walk but the nights will be lighter so pm walks will be longer. So glad I have my dogs they make me get my bum off the sofa and out of the house ?‍??‍?

aonk Fri 05-Mar-21 12:42:58

I do walk most days but like others it does get rather boring. I like a walk with a purpose and will post a letter in the furthest post box! My DH and I do a Joe Wicks workout most days. We do the ones for Seniors. They’re hard enough! It does help you to get mobile and improve your balance.

Cycorax Fri 05-Mar-21 12:58:42

Do walk as much as possible. Get a pair of really comfortable walking shoes and go for it. If you can find a friend to walk with you it will be even more enjoyable. And you'll really enjoy looking at horizons rather than your own four walls

Cathymac Fri 05-Mar-21 13:07:37

Glenfinnan. Well done on making a start . Half an hour is great . I am missing my weekly swim. Can’t wait for swimming pools to open again. I try to walk every day for about 45 minutes , but I am getting bored with the same old walks.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 05-Mar-21 13:11:57

I have no problem walking, but doing exercises at home is another kettle of fish!

A week ago, I started regular excercises for my neck and shoulder muscles, due to a problem focussing my left eye.

I don't yet know if they are helping the eye, but my self-esteem is growing daily, and my stiff neck is much less stiff.

So go for it -whether walking or something else.

ReadyMeals Fri 05-Mar-21 14:35:08

Since the first lockdown last year, my hip and back have "gone" (probably cos I put on loads of weight without noticing I was eating more and exercising less). Walking around seems to make it worse not better. I am meant to go for a covid jab but the nearest place is one third of a mile, and I could probably walk 100 metres at the most. We don't have a car and the only person I know with one is clinically vulnerable themselves and really doesn't want me in close contact in their car. Having not seen a single person except my husband in a year I don't really want to risk a taxi or other shared transport. Home visits are offered for housebound only, and I am not technically housebound. What does one do? I'd pay a private doctor service to visit but they're not allowed the vaccine. So annoying!!

Greenmeadow Fri 05-Mar-21 14:43:12

Yes please. I’d love the video link. I walk a bit but feel I need a bit more...

Thank you

vampirequeen Fri 05-Mar-21 15:11:21

Download an app such as MapMyWalk. It records how far you've walked. It's a fun way of increasing your distances.

Jillybird Fri 05-Mar-21 15:23:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Aveline Fri 05-Mar-21 15:28:25

Very good point about the stairs Jillybird. Great exercise. Do you listen to anything whole you're walking? That really helps. I've listened to various books but currently listen to comedy panel shows as I trudge around.
Today we drove to a different part of town and walked around the quiet streets there and looked at the lovely posh houses and chose which one we'd have when we won the lottery. A good distraction.

Callistemon Fri 05-Mar-21 15:42:42

ReadyMeals I can sympathise re the hip and back, the more I think I should walk more the less I want to because of the pain.

I don't know where you live but I did see on the news that in at several areas, taxi services are offering transport to take people for their vaccines free of charge. Taxis are cleaned in between passengers and the drivers are wearing masks. I think it is run by a local charity. It might be worth enquiring of your local Covid help group.