Gransnet forums

AIBU

Wobbly legs...my fault!

(65 Posts)
Glenfinnan Thu 04-Mar-21 09:06:49

When I get up these mornings my legs feel wobbly! I have had every intention of walking everyday during this pandemic but haven’t done it! So now suffering the consequences! So today I’m starting a walk every day! Use it or lose it!

yogagran Fri 05-Mar-21 15:57:44

I walk twice a day, every day, rain or fine. I love it and I really need to do it. The dog comes too and he seems to enjoy it as well. It's something I've always done and love being outside in the changing seasons and weather. Just doesn't feel right if there's a reason that I can't get out

Coyoacan Fri 05-Mar-21 16:16:52

I've found that nowadays if I stop walking for a few days I lose condition and walking seems like too much trouble. But it is really important for our health, helping to keep osteoporosis at bay, among other things.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 05-Mar-21 16:54:29

At the moment walking up and down the stairs I don't know how many times in a day is about the most exercise I get. I am still cycling twice a seek but not so far as usual. Once this blasted back pain has gone then I shall do more.

grannybuy Fri 05-Mar-21 17:11:32

A poster was asking about suitable walking shoes. I wear Ecco Biom shoes. They're probably the most comfortable shoes that I've ever had.

maydonoz Fri 05-Mar-21 18:39:48

Spinnaker, I've been wearing New Balance trainers for at least 3 years now, a d fi d them very comfortable. In fact my GP recommended them to me when I was first diagnosed with osteo arthritis. Now you reminded me I need to buy new ones when the shops are open.

maydonoz Fri 05-Mar-21 18:41:00

Correction : and find

Spidergran3 Fri 05-Mar-21 19:28:52

I’ve got arthritis in my hips and spine and have been VERY lazy during this lockdown. One hip really plays me up at night if I do too much. Anyway, I’ve just dusted off my Fitbit and am determined to try and build up my walking distance. This thread has been very encouraging so thank you all.

Callistemon Fri 05-Mar-21 19:34:24

Barmeyoldbat

At the moment walking up and down the stairs I don't know how many times in a day is about the most exercise I get. I am still cycling twice a seek but not so far as usual. Once this blasted back pain has gone then I shall do more.

I've gone up and down stairs several times today as well as sorting out some rather heavy boxes.
Does that count?

Callistemon Fri 05-Mar-21 19:34:59

Ps but my back was really painful afterwards

Aveline Sat 06-Mar-21 08:24:28

Bad luck Callistemon. I hit 10,000 steps yesterday at last and felt like an Olympian! I doubt I'll manage as many today but I'll try.

Hetty58 Sat 06-Mar-21 08:44:23

ReadyMeals, do ask for help with getting to your Covid jab appointment - or ask for a home visit, as I'm sure they'd accommodate the 'temporarily housebound' too!

Spinnaker Sat 06-Mar-21 08:45:12

maydonoz

Spinnaker, I've been wearing New Balance trainers for at least 3 years now, a d fi d them very comfortable. In fact my GP recommended them to me when I was first diagnosed with osteo arthritis. Now you reminded me I need to buy new ones when the shops are open.

Many thanks maydonoz flowers

NannyJaneAnne Wed 28-Apr-21 08:25:57

If you want to join other women walking there is a Women's Refuge Walking Challenge in May. Women from all over the UK are promising to walk 10k steps every day in May and donating to Women's Refuge. Great cause. Lots of the women have used the refuge in the past and their stories are really moving.
m.facebook.com/groups/921947465282687

Grammaretto Wed 28-Apr-21 09:34:53

When DH was ill in the Summer a friend asked me to join her for a walk which was quite short and not every day but gradually it has built up so now we go almost every day and what began as a struggle, is now easy.
We carried on through the worst winter weather.
It saw me through his final illness, and even though gyms are open again and even swimming pools, you cannot beat being out in nature. A wonder drug!