Gransnet forums

AIBU

"Go Left" on smart motorways.

(37 Posts)
Deedaa Sat 20-Mar-21 22:59:45

I've just been watching an advert telling me that if I break down on a motorway I should go left and pull into a so called safe stopping area. I should then go left and leave the car by the passenger door'
I am 75 and have had both knees replaced. By the time I have
climbed across to the passenger door (and I'm not sure it's even possible in my car) I will probably have had several HGVs run into the back of me. And then of course I still have to climb over the barrier.
Do the people who think this stuff up ever try it out?

NotTooOld Mon 22-Mar-21 17:04:17

I thought there had been a decision at government level to abandon the idea of smart motorways? If not, then there should be. Quite agree, they are very dangerous.

ExD Tue 30-Mar-21 11:39:52

JackieB smart motorways have had the hard shoulder turned into a 4th lane, so there's nowhere to go if you break down.
Several people have been killed by an hgv driving into the rear of a stationary car.
I've never been on one but I do wonder what they did when they came to a bridge - did they alter the whole bridge??**!!

Blossoming Tue 30-Mar-21 11:57:50

Never been on one, they sound dreadful!

Namsnanny Tue 30-Mar-21 12:08:24

I'm on the lookout for a petition against this fool hardy death traps. The sooner I can put my name to it the better.

simtib Tue 30-Mar-21 13:57:45

There is this one

www.change.org/p/scrap-dangerous-smart-motorways

simtib Tue 30-Mar-21 14:06:58

Also this one which is a government one so if anough people sign it then it will be debated.

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/570967

madeleine45 Sun 04-Apr-21 18:31:51

This dangerous lunacy should be stopped and we should be getting RAC and AA etc to be organising the lobbying against this idiotic idea of how to save money at the expense of peoples lives and mental stress if you found yourself on one of these motorways. Once again as drivers we pay a fortune out in taxes etc and we get back not only Nothing but worse than nothing by putting our lives at risk. The idea that this government should see us as a cash cow than can be milked for them to waste our money on such rubbish as the HS2 . The only way we will get them to stop this crazy idea is to hit them where it hurts . In their pockets. We need to be talking to solicitors and high court lawyers to bring up the subject of what the damages will be when some one is inevitably killed in this terrible situation. That they could be accused at the least of manslaughter , that they have set up an obviously dangerous situation , being well aware that their decisions are flawed and that they are knowingly putting peoples lives at risk,All the difficulties at the moment with covid and other problems are allowing them to get away with this disgraceful behaviour. Dont forget to lobby your own mp and make them aware that if they do not vote to stop this you will definitely vote them out. We must get everyone up in arms against this. I have been driving for more than 40 years and have lived and travelled abroad and still drive a great deal. I enjoy driving and consider myself a competent and careful driver. I have never heard of such lunacy being allowed to go ahead. I do accept the simple situation where you have a 3 lane road, where you could safely change the centre lane to be changed for rush hour travel with clear and sensible signing. That is an acceptable use of road use. But NOT changing the hard shoulder. Besides the danger to motorists themselves , there will also be the danger and knock on effect if the emergency services cannot use a hard shoulder. So if you are in an ambulance and they have no way to get you through to hospital , they will also be the cause of death to those patients . We must all get together and fight against this.

welbeck Sun 04-Apr-21 18:35:24

eazybee

I watched this advert in disbelief.
Five people have been killed as a result of smart motorways, and they think to address it with a puerile advert.

from mr/ms google:

The number of fatalities on smart motorways have risen to a record high, figures have revealed. Figures from last year's Stats-19 accident database, which provides statistics on road accidents that are reported to the police, have shown there were 14 deaths on the controversial highways in 2019 and 11 deaths in 2018

mumski Sun 04-Apr-21 19:01:36

Petitions signed

Eloethan Sun 04-Apr-21 19:58:00

I think the whole project should be abandoned. These deaths were not due to mistakes made by the victims but to an innovation that is clearly dangerous.

midgey Sun 04-Apr-21 20:50:16

If you get out on the right side you will be dead. Whether you think it puerile or not you have remembered it so it has worked already! Moreover you are talking about it so......