Gransnet forums

AIBU

Books by celebrities

(80 Posts)
Beswitched Wed 24-Mar-21 11:11:53

My friend's daughter is a very talented writer. She has written a Children's book and has had a few requests for the full script from agents. However it never gets further than that. She accepts she's lucky to even get that far and rejection is part of being a writer. She can't help feeling bitter, however, when she sees celeb after celeb publishing mediocre books and getting loads of publicity.

I find it depressing as well. There are so many good children's writers out there but you have to wade through so much dross to find them in bookshops.

GillT57 Mon 29-Mar-21 09:54:10

I did enjoy Thursday Murder Club, I liked the characters. I read very few autobiographies as frankly, I am generally not interested, but many years ago I read 'The Moons a Ballooon' by David Niven and then 'Bring on the empty horses' and thoroughly enjoyed them and developed an affection for a man I had never met (obviously). Jenny Eclair has written a couple of good ones, and I do enjoy Ben Elton's books, but they are clever people anyway, just happen to be on TV.

Casdon Sun 28-Mar-21 22:58:48

Nigel Slater is a good author as well as a celebrity, Toast is an excellent read, and I love his Christmas Chronicles.

GrandmaKT Sun 28-Mar-21 22:47:47

Jane43

I remember my Mum saying how much she enjoyed David Niven’s book The Moon’s A Balloon, this would have been the early 1970s.

Oh yes, it was very popular Jane43. I remember my mum reading it. She passed it on to me - a bit risqué for a 12 year old!

Jane43 Sun 28-Mar-21 22:26:44

I remember my Mum saying how much she enjoyed David Niven’s book The Moon’s A Balloon, this would have been the early 1970s.

Deedaa Sun 28-Mar-21 22:19:15

*TwiceAsNice" I also enjoyed Michael Caine's autobiography and he has written a very good book on acting.

I really enjoyed Jeremy Paxman's autobiography too.

Ben Miller's children's books are very good, but he is a very clever man - unlike many celebs.

TwiceAsNice Sun 28-Mar-21 17:42:16

Sorry as not ax

TwiceAsNice Sun 28-Mar-21 17:40:37

The one celebrity whose autobiography I did enjoy was Michael Caine. Really funny but presume it was ghost written but at least it was interesting, and I like him ax an actor

NotTooOld Sat 27-Mar-21 21:55:19

Agree about Austin Macauly. They are vanity publishers, ie the author pays.

GrandmaKT Sat 27-Mar-21 20:55:42

I enjoyed Richard Osman's Thursday Murder Club (more for the characters and setting than the plot I must say - so much work has gone into developing them that they can easily sustain a series).
I believe Steven Spielberg has bought the film rights!

Milliedog Sat 27-Mar-21 20:40:07

Do some research on Austin Macaulay.......confused
I have written some children's books (not published yet, though had a short story included in a published children's book and have had some lovely feedback from agents).

Kryptonite Sat 27-Mar-21 07:42:40

I completely agree. I shudder when I hear of yet another celebrity 'writing' a novel or a children's book and getting away with it just because of their name. They are simply cashing in and exploiting children too. I have never liked David Walliams' as a personality or his TV work, which I think is reflected in his style of writing. Teachers I know are not keen on him and, though he is very popular with children at school, I don't believe his writing does much to improve reading ability, especially if they don't want to read anything else. I hope your friend doesn't give up trying to get her book recognised. Kindle publishing is another option.

NanaElaine Sat 27-Mar-21 04:45:31

I don't usually read celebrity books, but I have read Paul O'Grady's which are hilarious. All about his life before fame and his time as Lily Savage. I have also read a few of Ben Elton's novels which are pretty good.
On children's books Roald Dahl, Judy Blume and Anne Fine are all brilliant non celeb writers, but only David Walliams got my DGS's interest in reading, he loves his books and has collected and read all of them so that must be a positive.

Kartush Fri 26-Mar-21 08:34:52

We have an author here Judy Nunn a former actress and now an author. i am sure her first book was looked at because of her “star” status at the time but I am 100% sure all her following books were published on their own merits as she is an extremely good writer. So i am not sure you can put all celebrity writers in the same box

Whatdayisit Thu 25-Mar-21 22:58:00

Prince Charles publishef the old man of Loch Nager in 1980 (thankyou Google). Is he the first 'celebrity children's writer? Did he start off this trend !!

Moogalmum Thu 25-Mar-21 21:35:23

I agree generally with Celeb writers and their lack of talent, and steer clear of them,.David Walliams is an exception however, he is a an excellent writer of childrens novels. My 8 yearold GS can't get enough of his books.

Whatdayisit Thu 25-Mar-21 19:43:39

Ready to run for cover here but i have read and enjoyed every David Walliams book with my eldest grandson. The way i look at him is anything that can get a boy to pick up a book is a good start. Surely he was a writer of 'comedy' - i know not popular any more - before he became a celeb. We have been to see many of his books on stage too which were done brilliantly. One of the things we have missed this year.
As for the celebrity culture i try to avoid it at all costs. I don't have a tv I don't read magazines so don't really know many so-called celebs.

I suppose Sarah Ferguson was a trailblazer writing Budgie the Little Helicopter! And i am sure Prince Charles wrote a story for Jackanory in the 80s!
My employer gave me a Fern Britten to read i tried a few pages and thought my.life is so far removed from this but i have not precious time to waste on her tripe.
I read a Graham Norton i nearly gave up it was a bit laboured after half way.
But i have to confess to being an avid Jeffrey Archer reader (loved his prison diaries where he put himself as the hero!). But it really doesn't sit well with my conscience.
I have read some of Kate Adie's books and i am currently reading Nicky Campbell's book about meeting his adoptive parents.
It's not just the tv celebs or leftover popstars these days but the instagrammers and you tube celebs. Give me strength.

justwokeup Thu 25-Mar-21 17:54:12

Just wanted to say OH and I really enjoyed Richard Osman's "Thursday Murder Club", first book for ages that made us laugh out loud. An enjoyable light read. However it is the only 'celebrity' book I've ever read if you don't count recipe books. It seems anyone who can cook and, even better, be a bit shouty too, is a celebrity chef.

songstress60 Thu 25-Mar-21 17:43:07

I am a failed writer and I can sympathise. I am sick of seeing children's books by celebrities who have never had a creative writing lesson in their lives yet I have written play after play short story after short story and NO publication or even an offer from an agent. I feel very bitter about it.

GrammarGrandma Thu 25-Mar-21 17:24:09

Please tell your friend's daughter that professional children's writers, such as myself and most of my friends, feel equally cheesed off by these celebrity deals! Don't get me started on David Walliams. For more practical advice, get her to join SCBWI (The Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators). the UK branch. They accept unpublished authors. Also she should buy The Children's Writers and Illustrators Yearbook, published every August in a new edition by A & C Black. It is packed with useful advice.

Alioop Thu 25-Mar-21 16:59:33

I wouldn't by a book about a celebrity. I know enough about them from the media and that'll do me. I was bought one for a Xmas present 3 years ago and I have never even opened it.

Beswitched Thu 25-Mar-21 16:19:15

Thank you for the warning Re Austin Mitchell.

Yammy Thu 25-Mar-21 16:04:48

I agree a celebrity name sells a book it shouldn't but it does. Every Christmas from reli's DH gets celebrity sportspersons books If I read them all I think I could manage the English Rugby Union team.
Charity book shops don't always want them as they have multiple copies already and I have had to struggle back to the car with bags full.
It's the same with celebrities being put on the covers of magazines, do they get a fee? Or just more publicity.
I decline to read Carole Middletons view on life or her opinion on how to look or dress and live our lives. We all would do well in life if we could and had the ability and the money for treatments.
Though others must differ in their point of view because my regular magazine has her in a long chain of celebrities on its front cover. this month.
It's not just a British thing look at Martha Stewart in the States.
We reinforce them if we buy them. So back on the shelf, it went.

railman Thu 25-Mar-21 15:11:49

This is an interesting post - as a published author myself - non-fiction, the world of the novelist or story teller has never really appealed to me. That said, my late Dad told some great kids stories - not just to me, but his grandchildren - I only wish I'd asked him to write them down years ago. Sadly, I only have one story left - almost complete.

I think like many here, celebrity biogs are a thing to avoid at all costs - celebs are like fashion items, a passing fad. Some may be a good read - say like Pam Ayres - but it does depend on whether you connect with their humour or lifestyle perhaps.

People celebrated as 'great authors' or 'novelists' can write some of the most boring text ever - I found Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath" as dull as dishwater, and I am not drawn to completely read that Kerouac thing. I will devour Larsson's work, or Camilleri, along with Val McDermid, but Harold Robbins, or Jilly Cooper are just tree vandals.

I guess in the end it is about what you like and enjoy.

On the original post - please encourage your friends daughter to be persistent, and on no account give up.

Sarahmob Thu 25-Mar-21 15:02:10

My 3 year old grandson loves David Walliams’ picture books. He giggles with glee when we read him the stories and he looks at the pictures. I’m of the opinion that anything that encourages a child to adopt the reading habit can only be a good thing.
As an adult, I have to say that I don’t very often read books written by celebrities and when I do I’m never that impressed. But once again, each to their own.

Gingster Thu 25-Mar-21 14:26:12

Yes I like Graham Norton’s book too. I had the Richard Osman book for Christmas and have started it twice and have given up. It’s slow, dull and doesn’t hold my attention. I love Richard Osman and think him a witty, clever man, so I was really disappointed.